Sunday, July 9, 2017

Frugal Happenings 7/09

Good morning to everyone.  We have survived another week - and hopefully with success!

First I want to thank everyone for all their help this week.  I loved all the comments and suggestions.  I will continue to do what I have been doing, and I will look into creating some new features.  I don't want to appear to copycat some ideas that are used by popular blogs and FB pages - so I need to think on this.  I am also looking into a way to do a search function for recipes - this may take me a bit of time.
Again, thank you to all who participated.  I value EACH OF YOU, as you guys are the ones that make this fun.

We have had another very hot and humid week.  Storms came through again on Friday - but thankfully no damage in our area.  Saturday and today we get a break from the extreme heat and humidity.  It is heavenly.  That comes to an end tomorrow with both heat and humidity coming back for the entire week.  UGH!

My allergies have been giving me fits this week.  Thank goodness for allergy pills!
Mosquitos are horrible this year.  We have had so much moisture this year - they are thriving.  Early evenings are really bad.

My week:
  • Line dried laundry
  • Rain barrels have been replenished.  I have been using a lot of rain water for the garden.
  • I inventoried my canning supplies.  I love Mrs. Wages (yes I cheat), and use it for most everything.  My goodness - I am set for this year for sure, thanks to the many clearance packages I found over the last year.
  • Kept and cleaned a nice coffee can and a HUGE container that had held pretzels (from Sam's) for storage.  The coffee can will be great for storing candies and such this Christmas.
  • Saved the juice from a watermelon we cut up.  I freeze and use in tea or in smoothies.
  • I re-did the cat scratching post AGAIN.  They love that thing and the carpet gets torn to shreds pretty quickly (with 3 cats).  This time I replaced with jute rope!  It looks great and they LOVE it!!!  I think it will last longer than the carpet.  Sure beats spending $40-$50 for the size bed/post we have.  The rope originally cost $7.50.
  • Watched 3 full length movies that we had previously recorded.
  • Renegotiated our U-verse bill (our contract ran out).  We will be saving $43 a month and we are to receive a $50 Visa gift card in a couple weeks.  Not bad for an hour visit at the AT&T store.  We will be getting some new equipment installed Tuesday (no charge).  HAPPY CAMPER HERE!
  • Garden HARVEST - 10 zucchini, 5 small cucumbers and 3 bell peppers this week!! WOOHOO!
  • Picked a bouquet of flowers
  • Got lots of yard work done yesterday while it was cooler.  Boy did the yard need it!
  • Laid the rest of the bagged bark that was in the garage.
  • Most frugal part  of week - I STAYED OUT OF STORES AND DID NO GROCERY SHOPPING AT ALL!!!!
  • Just doing all my normal everyday things

Meals this week:
Zucchini/sausage skillet dinner and garlic bread (I tried to post a pic - for some reason I couldn't)
Leftover zucc. skillet dinner and salad
Grilled steaks and grilled zucchini and onions
Fried pork cutlets, country gravy and toast
Jalapeno/cheese stuffed zucchini boats
Lean burger topped with red beans and rice and 1/4 of zucc. boat that was left (split it)
Hamburger hash and zucchini salad

Watermelon, grapes, sherbet
All leftovers were used up

I think my week was pretty successful and I managed to save money not just for the week, but for the rest of the year! 
HOW WAS YOUR WEEK?  Give us a shout out, and let us know what's happening in your neck of the woods!

May your week be blessed with health, safety, happiness and frugal finds! 
God bless my friends.

8 comments:

  1. I love how you close your blog posts, Cheryl. It is so sweet.

    I love Mrs. Wage's packets for canning. Her salsa one is so good. Definitely my go to for salsa as the seasoning is spot on.

    I'll have to look at the cat scratch post as my cats love to use the posts on our back porch for that. We are replacing the stairs next weekend, so we need to be on the lookout for something else they can use.

    We got some relief from the humidity with some rain this weekend too. I am so thankful for that. Sounds like you had a good and frugal week. I hope this week is good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda - I just hope that all are as blessed as we are and that God protects you all.

      I love Mrs. wages too. I do the salsa, pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce. I also use the kosher dill mix and bread and butter pickle mix. they are all so good. I watch for clearance on them all year. Kroger is good to mark them down to as cheap as .10 packet!

      Glad you got some relief too. Ours sure won't last long - but I am happy with what we get.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. I'm not good at pickles maybe I should try Mrs. Wages for that! Yeah I cheat too Cheryl! We had a big storm also. A huge branch from our tree fell down. Now though I'm like you it just feels wonderful! The Jalapeno/cheese stuffed zucchini boats sound wonderful! Do you have a recipe for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie I sure do have a recipe - I will post this week for sure.

      I do kosher and bread and butter pickles with Mrs. Wages - so easy. I also put 3 grape leaves in each jar and it sure does keep them crisp. Glad I am no the only who cheats! LOL

      Delete
  3. Cheryl, thanks for the reminder that living can be simple, lots of hard work, and rest as a reward.

    Please share your zucchini salad recipe. Sounds interesting.

    Thanks, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norma - tomorrow I will be sharing a few of my favorite zucchini recipes. All easy and yummy!

      Delete
  4. Hi Cheryl, we have had to replace the carpet on the kitty house/scratching post numerous times for our cats. Jeff built it for our old cat Gemma, who has now crossed rainbow bridge, and the other cats, Mollie and Daisy, used it too. They too are no longer with us. Now Rufus has gladly taken up residence in it and can be found scratching on it and then napping in it on hot afternoons since we keep it out on the screened in porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie we have now had a total of 5 cats that have used this bed/post. Two have crossed over as well.
      They sure do love it.
      I could replace it, but it seems to be JUST RIGHT for each one. No need to mess with something that works!!

      Delete