Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Equivalency Fun Facts - for your kitchen

We all look for new hacks and ideas for our cooking from scratch kitchens.
There are so many little things that I constantly wonder about and question - as in "how many does it take?" - "how much do I need?", etc.
I imagine we all have those moments.

Today I will give you a few of the most  popular measurements.  I have this printed out and taped inside my cabinet door for easy access!

Dash - less than 1/8 tsp.
3 tsp. = 1 Tbsp.
4 Tbsp. = 1/4 C
1 stick of butter = 1/4 lb. = 1/2 C = 8 Tbsp.
1 jumbo egg = 2 medium

Beans 1 lb. dried = approx. 2 - 2 1/2 C (depends on bean size)
Bell peppers, 1 large = 1 C chopped
Cheese (hard) 1 lb. shredded = 4 C
Cottage cheese 1 lb. = 2 C
Crackers - 20 single standard crackers = 1 C crumbs
Herbs, 1 Tbsp. fresh = 1 tsp. dried

Lemon, 1 med. size = 2-3 Tbsp. juice (heat lemon 10 seconds in microwave to get most juice)
Lemon, 1 med. size = 2-3 tsp. grated zest

Mustard, 1 Tbsp. prepared = 1 tsp. dry
Oatmeal 1 lb. dry = about 5 C dry
Onion 1 med. = 1/2 C chopped

Pasta - smaller tubal types, 1 lb. = 4 C uncooked
Noodles 1 lb. dry = 6 C uncooked
Spaghetti (all long pasta) 1 lb. = 4 C uncooked

Potatoes - white and sweet - 1 lb. - 3 med sized = 2 C mashed
Rice 1 lb. dry = 2 C uncooked
Whipping cream - 1 C un-whipped = 2 C whipped
Yeast, dry, 1 envelope (1/4 oz.) = 1 Tbsp. bulk


SUBSTITUTIONS
1 C sour milk or buttermilk - use 1 C plain yogurt OR 1 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice in a 1 C measure and top to 1 C with milk.  Let it sit 5 minutes before using.

1 garlic clove - use 1/8 tsp. garlic powder

1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms - use 1 - 6 oz. can, drained

1 Tbsp. tomato paste - use 1 Tbsp. ketchup

1 Tbsp. vinegar - use 1 Tbsp. lemon juice

1 C heavy cream - add 1/3 C melted butter to 3/4 C milk - (works for cooking, baking NOT whipping)

1/2 C wine (for cooking) - pour 2 Tbsp. wine vinegar into a 1/2 C measure - and finish filling with broth.  Stir and let it set 5 minutes.  Stir again before using.

1 Tbsp. cornstarch - use 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour

2 Tbsp. Tapioca - use 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour

cooking oil when baking - replace part with either applesauce or yogurt to decrease oil content

*     *     *     *     *     *      *     *     *     *     *     *

There are so many ways to use what you have on hand when cooking.  No need to make a special run to the store for one or two ingredients (we all know that never works!).
TRY YOUR BEST to keep  all BASIC ingredients on hand in your pantry.
Learn to improvise - I hardly ever follow a recipe as written!  I am always changing things up.

Read your recipes from beginning to end - before ever starting it.  You don't want to over look a very important instruction, and you can also make sure you have everything needed - whether as written or substitutes.

Cooking really is fun.   Don't make it feel like a chore.  Experiment and have fun.


DO YOU HAVE ANY GREAT TIPS TO SHARE?

12 comments:

  1. Thanks Cheryl! I will put this on the inside of mine also.

    Since I started weighing out my flour and butter (because I get it in big chunks from the Amish) I have a similar weights and volumes chart on my cupboard door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. It sure is handy inside the canister/spice cabinet.

      Delete
  2. I love the one for the honey. I always wondered and Have just taste tested it. So handy Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it is something you could use.
      You are welcome!

      Delete
  3. This is a gem! Thank you for taking the time to prepare this list, Cheryl. I'm going to slide this in a protective sheet and put it inside the cupboard door ~ and I'll make sure the hubs sees it too. :-) Mindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda I am happy you find this useful.
      You are very welcome!

      Delete
  4. This is a great list! I am often using dry herbs instead of fresh or vice versa and so often now I substitute yoghurt for buttermilk, sour cream etc. The price of butter keeps going up and there are shortages in some places so I am working on lots of butter substitutes. Mainly I use olive oil. I am printing this list thanks Cheryl.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annabel - glad you could use this.
      I use a lot of olive oil and coconut oil in cooking. You might look into Ghee as well - it is a good butter substitute, however it is very expensive here.

      I love being able to substitute things, it saves so much money at times.
      Have a good one.

      Delete