Sunday, September 24, 2017

Frugal Happenings 9/24

Good morning to everyone.  Hope you are all well and happy.
We are still (enjoying) summer weather in our area.  It has been in the 90's the last few days and very humid.  That is supposed to come to an end mid week, and we are to get back to more seasonable temperatures.  I am not sure to if I want to be happy or sad.  I hate the extreme heat, but I also know winter comes right behind fall.  I really do not like cold and ice!

Today is G's 62nd birthday.  He catches up to me for a month or so!  LOL  I figured he would want dinner from the Outback, but he has decided he wants his special dinner to be Long John Silvers!  We haven't had that for probably a good two years - so I guess it is worth the splurge.

The garden is still producing, which is wonderful.  We have been utilizing fresh veggies a lot.  Things are slowing down, but I think we still have a few weeks of goodies left out there.

My frugal week:
  • Used the crockpot to make a big batch of Mexican chicken
  • Harvesting broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, and cukes
  • Been picking lots of cherry tomatoes from ALL the volunteer plants that have popped up all over.  I have 5 plants that have come up in the past couple months and have gotten huge
One of the volunteer plants - it is about thigh high and covers about 4' in width!  That's just one!!
  • Made a run to the feed store and got a 2 months supply of squirrel/bird feed
  • Froze extra Mex. chicken for a later meal
  • Mowed the yard.  Had to, even with the heat.  I think I probably sweated off a couple pounds and got rid of lots of toxins!
  • Line dried laundry
  • Had to pick up G's meds at WM.  I never shop there, but I walked into the freezer section while waiting (right next to pharmacy).  I did purchase 8 cans (all they had) of orange juice concentrate for 1.23 a can.  I have read that orange crop got seriously damaged in the hurricane, so prices will be going up.
  • Went to a yard sale across the street on Friday.  I got a 28 qt. tote (no lid), a 32 qt. tote w/lid, a half gallon Brita filter pitcher, and a brand new Cuisinart grilled sandwich maker ALL for $5!!!!!  I dropped my 30+ year old sandwich maker a couple months ago and broke it - so a great find there.
  • Worked on organizing more of the downstairs pantry.  Also worked on getting all holiday gifts together - to see what I actually had.  Trying to get more organized.
  • Just working on fall cleaning

Meals this week:
Breaded pork burgers, red beans & rice (Aldi box), sliced tomatoes
Mexican chicken served over rice
Salad topped Mex. chicken burritos
Finger foods - summer sausage/cheese & crackers, garden fresh veggies and dip
Fried chicken and salad
Smoked sausage, steamed broccoli and tomatoes
Cheeseburgers, fried potatoes and tomatoes
Snacks - peach pie, ice cream

HOW WAS YOUR WEEK?  DID YOU GET ANY FRUGAL DEALS?

I hope you all have a wonderful upcoming week.  I wish you all health, happiness and a frugal life.
May the Lord help us all be content and happy with what we have, and to feel blessed.
God bless you all.



14 comments:

  1. You had a great week Cheryl! I can't believe how tall those volunteers are! They are really producing. I have heard that we might have a shortage of sugar. Pineapple and coconut too. Good idea to stock up. Have a good Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my volunteers - free!
      Sugar, pineapple, and coconut make since because much of that is from the islands. Guess I better add those things as well.
      Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. I love volunteer plants, how neat that you have cherry tomatoes from yours. Sounds like you got some good deals at the yard sale. Terrific to find the sandwich maker after breaking yours. I love it when I find things that I need like that. My best deal of the week was finding 5 cans of 28 oz. diced tomatoes for 50¢ each. I hope you have a blessed week, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided I wouldn't replace the sandwich maker - and then there it was. It was almost begging me to buy it! LOL
      Free food is always a blessing.

      Great deal on the tomatoes. That is something that we all use a lot of.
      Blessings my friend

      Delete
  3. We have many volunteers also. There is even one behind the chicken coop which is yards from the garden. Guess it wanted to be by the blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. None of mine are close to the garden. I guess the birds or squirrels decided to plant them!
      All I can say is THANKS to them!!!
      Have a good day

      Delete
  4. I'm glad someone else has tomatoes popping up like weeds. As we come into summer, the only tomatoes I grow are the cherry's. We have Queensland Fruit Fly that attacks all soft fruits, bar mango. It is not nice to cut, or worse bite, into a lovely red tomato and find it full of maggots! The cherry tomatoes seem to get left alone. I lifted and replanted ten of the volunteer tomatoes this week. I lifted and replanted ten giant sunflower volunteers as well.
    Enjoy your warm weather while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane how awful on the buggy tomatoes. That would be terrible. Glad you can at least grow the cherry ones.
      I have 3 more sunflowers staring to bloom - more that the birds/squirrels planted.
      Nature seems to take care of itself.

      winter will be here too soon, and then everyone will be complaining about the cold. Never happy!
      Blessings

      Delete
  5. Great that you are still getting veggies from your garden. Sounds like we are having the same kind of weather that you are. We have been canning applesauce. 21 pints done and a little in the freezer and a little more to do. We like the lumpy kind so it takes longer as we don't put it through a seive. Have a great week! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum on the applesauce. It sure will taste great this winter!
      I like ours chunky too.

      Have a good one.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to your hubby! Hope he had a great day, and I hope he enjoyed his fish! I like Long johns Silvers, but haven't had any in a long time.
    Sounds like you have had a great garden. I went out one day last week and everything was gone. I knew the deer had been nibbling on my green beans, but something ate every single tomato, and I so love tomatoes. :( Ah well, maybe I can figure out a way to deer proof next year.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kathy I am so sorry about your garden. I sure hope you got SOME of the garden this year. Darn old deer. That is one critter I don't have!
      Hubs enjoyed his fish a lot - and we have enough for sinner tonight. It had been a couple years since we had had Long Johns - it sure is tasty!

      A great week back at you!

      Delete
  7. Cheryl, What is this Mexican Chicken you speak of?

    We have had cooler temps this past week, will be having 3 days of warmer in the 80's then back down to 60's I'm ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie I am sure I have listed the recipe before - but not sure when. It can be called Mexican or Taco chicken.

      Place 3 or 4 chicken breast (boneless/skinless) in crockpot, add equivalent of 2 packets of taco seasoning, 1 jar (pint) of salsa, 1 can drained corn, 1 can black or kidney beans, and just a touch of water if it looks too dry. Heat on high for 4-5 hours, then I turn it down for an hour or two.
      Take 2 forks and totally rip apart/shred chicken.

      This is great served over rice, or in enchiladas, or in burritos or sandwiches, etc. YUM

      It is supposed to get cooler here starting tomorrow. I ready for 90's to be gone.
      Blessings my friend

      Delete