They have changed plans for festivities tonight and shortened them by several hours due to the cold.
It is just not fit for man nor beast. Tomorrow's high is to be 3*!!!
On the bright side, it is staying light longer in the evenings by about a half hour!!!!!
I think about the homeless and just can't imagine. The shelters are bursting at the seams - turning no one away (as it should be). There are some that just don't want to be constrained by rules that will stay out. I pray they live through this. My outdoor kitties have been staying in the greenhouse a lot - as they have nice warm bedding, they are out of the wind and weather and have heated water bowls and bedding. They are staying snug!
We had a couple inches of snow Friday evening. Flurries again this morning. I have seen my winter snow, it has gotten cold - OK, I am over it - ready for spring!
We had a lovely family get-together yesterday. Still have one lone nephew (and fiancé) that need to come. They had to work yesterday. We will see them when they can get away. We got some lovely home crafted gifts - I will show them this week.
Eating leftovers today, and we will have our annual seafood dinner tonight!
My frugal week:
- Replenishing cabinets/pantry from deep pantry
- Made a cherry cheesecake and lasagna from items on hand for Christmas dinner
- Kept the lid from a parmesan cheese container
- Finalized Dec. receipts
- Cut the cats nails - saving $20 per visit (3 cats) and stressing out the kitties
- Had an unexpected expense this week. My battery in the Blazer died for good! A dear friend went and got us a new one and installed it. Bless his heart. We paid him, so he got a little spending cash and we are good for years. (Last one was 5 1/2 years old)
- Made several dozen more cookies. Many were gifted and the rest were ate yesterday.
- I went to get cabbage at Kroger (for NY dinner) and found some deals!!! I found Hershey milk chocolate chips marked down to .99/bag! I got 15 bags. I also got 2 - 2lb. bags of fresh mixed veggies for. 1.99 ea. (reg. 4.99). I used some for veggie plate for get-together and the rest will be steamed later in the week or used in soup!
- I also got 4 - 12 oz. packs of natural bacon on sale for 2.49 ea. Regular $5. And I got 5 tubs of frozen Cool-whip for .49 each.
- I topped off the gas tank while out to prepare for this super cold weather. I saved .30/gallon.
- I made ice outdoors for the get together. I set the trays on the handrail outside kitchen door and it was so cold that it froze lickety-split! It was colder outside than my freezer was!
- Had everything on hand for our get-together. No need to purchase any food or drink and everyone was well fed and enjoyed.
Homemade blueberry pancakes and fried ham (from freezer) YUM
Lasagna and salad (2X)
Mac n Cheese with jalapeno smoked sausage and side salad of lettuce topped with sweet/sour red cabbage
Burgers and fries
Chicken/rice/veggies in cream sauce
BBQ meatballs/little wienies, veggies and dip all with crackers (left from get-together)
Cheesecake and cookies for desserts
Today will be a day to rest up. This body is tired from shoveling snow and cooking. I will probably take down the few decoration today or tomorrow and get back to a nice fresh look!
WHAT did you do to save money this past week?
Did you go to any AFTER Christmas sales?
My prayer for everyone on this New Years Eve is that we can all put our mistakes behind us, and go into the new year with promise and grace. That we will recognize the good inside each of us, and use it to help better the world.
God bless you all. I am so honored to have had you in my life this year and look forward to many exciting things to come in 2018!
Stay safe, stay warm, stay healthy, stay frugal!
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOURS!