Thursday, December 29, 2022
Wednesday, December 28, 2022
Tuesday, December 27, 2022
Monday, December 26, 2022
- Finished that baby blanket - oh my aching back!!!! (It was very much worth it - as tears flowed!)
- I did extra insulating of the greenhouse and finished all the weather preps
- I dropped off gifts at my brothers last Wed. - just in case I couldn't get there Sunday. I DID make it!
- I helped my neighbor wrap a boat load of Christmas gifts for his grandkids! That was fun
- Actually started cleaning up the craft room a little - so much to do
- Froze extra from meals made this week for another day
- Working on cleaning more
- Finally got out on Saturday and moved the snow that drifted and cleaned the car and got it opened!
- NO shopping at all
- Rolled towels up and placed at the base of the doors - it did help. It was so cold out, that any crack felt cold
- Just a quiet week
Thursday, December 22, 2022
Wednesday, December 21, 2022
Yep, it is NOW winter! LOL! It will be coming in with a bang for sure. BUT the good part is - this is the shortest daylight day, and they will slowly start getting longer!!!!!! YAY
It looks like the snow will start a little earlier here than they thought tomorrow early evening. That means it will be departing earlier as well. My area is kind of on the cusp of the BIG snow area. Here is hoping it isn't too bad. Friday our high will be about 14*(F) and Saturday the high is predicted to be 7*!!!!!
Tuesday, December 20, 2022
- Have the shovel or snow blower at the ready
- Have a broom handy as well - it works great on porches and removing the dustings of snow
- Scraper for the car! I keep one in the house as well!!!! If the car doors are frozen shut - you can clear the windows anyway - hopefully let some sun in the car to heat up the doors.
- IF the doors freeze shut - I often use rubbing alcohol - pour over the edges - alcohol doesn't freeze
- Cover any locks that may freeze. I put a plastic baggy over the garage door handle and lock - so as to keep snow and ice out of the lock. Baggy and a rubber band - works every time.
- Have ice melt on hand for those slick walks
- Wear layers when outside but don't get over heated - sweating is not good - it can cause hypothermia
- Work slowly and methodically - don't overdo it at any one time
- Make sure outdoor spickets are off and disconnected - if you can - cover with Styrofoam padding
- FIRST inclination in cold weather is to turn up that thermostat - DON'T! The power grid is going to be overloaded anyway - so if everyone turns up the stat - it will work even harder. Keep the house warm, but not overly hot. Wear MORE clothes! Just a reminder for those groaning about the temps - the folks in places of Europe are being VERY limited to the temperature they can keep their homes per the govt.! We have it good.
- Have an alternative for electrical, in case of failure. Generator, wood stove, pellet stove, something. I realize it is a bit late to plan for this - something to think about for the future.
- Bring in pets - or provide really good 'heated' shelter and water for them
Sunday, December 18, 2022
- Dinner and gift exchange with my brother, SIL and sis last Sunday at sis's. Got a grocery GC and many food items! We had a lovely time
- Sis sent me home with leftovers, 3 magazines, and a nice fleece jacket she said was too small for her (she is short but big chested - me not so much!!)
- Had a taillight out - so bought a new one and changed that out, checked all my fluids and vacuumed out the Blazer
- Made a run to the P,O. (cards mailed) and the library
- Dropped off gifts for family I will not be seeing on the holiday (they are going to Disney World!)
- Doing more deep cleaning
- Ran to Kroger - got a few deals. Potatoes were 5 lbs. for .99, 4 lb. navel oranges 1.99 (got 2 bags and they are good!), ugly pears .99/bag on clearance (2 bags - tasty), mushrooms on clearance (will be good stuffed this week)
- The roast went into the crockpot on Saturday. Mmmmm, mmmm good! Haven't fixed a roast in a long while.
- Used a $5 off coupon on groceries at Kroger and got 4X points on my purchase on Friday - will be great for next gas purchase!
- My neighbor sent me some Indian food over last Sunday - not a huge fan because of the spices, but the chicken was pretty tasty. Munched on it as an evening snack for a couple evenings
- Just doing all the normal stuff
Thursday, December 15, 2022
Wednesday, December 14, 2022
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
Sunday, December 11, 2022
- Finished up all the jar recipes for gift bags
- I used Old English on my natural wood chest of drawers. It was so faded and blah looking (from sun) - it really perked up the look!
- Made a batch of jelly - to gift. (2 berry - grape and blueberry combo)
- Got my Blazer back. Well, it turned out the place that had it lied - there was damage to my door, both body and paint! Hmmmm. (Not a huge area - but damage non the less). They only fessed up, right before I was to receive it back. Needless to say this girl blew a gasket! They lied about it for 2 days! I don't think the guy was used to a woman standing up for herself, nor was he used to someone calling out his business ethics! I got the Blazer back and he marked the invoice PAID IN FULL!! Yep, I paid $0 (it was orig. $395). He also gave me his insurance company name, so I can turn in the damage to be repaired. I guess it does pay to speak up!
- I had to get a new computer as my old one died a complete and total death in an instant! I am really getting used to the new one and like it. It was marked on sale with a decent price, and it rang up $80 less than that sale price! WOOP - WOOP!
- I did a gas fill-up and received a .60 per gallon discount. (Paid 2.79/gal.) That was thanks to buying GC's last month and buying on a day with dbl. points!
- I got my new progressive bifocals. This is taking some getting used to! I wear them only when reading or computing.
- I ran to Kroger, Aldi and WM (where I got glasses) and finished up the Christmas shopping!!!!! I do believe I am DONE! I just need to wrap (bag most) and bake.
- I mainly was looking for items for gift bags & kiddos while shopping. I did get a couple items for me - milk, ice cream and a couple of markdowns on clearance. I also bought a spiral sliced ham for when the kids come up for Christmas - it was .89/lb.
- Got the cards all addressed and ready to go in the mailbox on Monday
- Cooking from scratch and at home
- Doing all the normal stuff we all do
Thursday, December 8, 2022
Wednesday, December 7, 2022
During any crafting or food making for the holidays - we don't have to spend a lot of money nor do we have to give away our precious jars in food gifts!!!! Sure, if you are giving away your canning - you will be giving jars out. Make sure to attach a little note if you want your jars back. Make a cute little saying up about getting the jars back. Jars are expensive - but sometimes I guess that is just considered part of the gift.
Tuesday, December 6, 2022
Sunday, December 4, 2022
- Went to eye specialist and regular eye doctor this week. Glad the exams are all done - should get my new bifocals this week
- I used my LAST garden tomato on Monday - yes I did!
- Ordered the jerky and summer sausage for gifts this Monday. That is a part of gifts that is highly anticipated!!!!
- Managed the bank for funds and feed store before being without a vehicle
- Blazer towed to car shop - $0 charge - thanks to AAA
- Froze leftover turkey and stock
- Did a tiny bit of decorating (seen above)
- Cut my hair
- Been working on soup jar recipes and spice mixes for gift bags
- Got my gifts all sorted and bags started with what I have on hand
- Making my list and checking it twice!!!!!
- NO grocery shopping at all
- Made tea
- Eating from pantry and freezer and cooking all meals here