There are so many things that we people buy at the store (I have been guilty) that can simply be made at home and for much less money. When we make things at home - we not only save some money, but we know exactly what is in our food!!!! That is huge. No fillers, no chemicals, no ingredients you CAN'T pronounce!!!!!
People love the convenience and the stores take advantage of it. They charge you a small fortune for basic and simple eating. Take a few minutes and do your preparations and you too can have tasty and healthier foods at home. I bet in most cases, we all have the ingredients on hand - we just don't want to spend the extra time!
A FEW IDEAS
- French fries - so easy. Just peel (or not) and cut clean potatoes. Season and go! Can fry, bake or air fry - super easy and super tasty.
- Chicken nuggets - easy-peasy. Cut you chicken into bite size pieces or even strips, coat with egg or buttermilk - coat with your favorite coating (flour, bread crumbs, cornmeal, etc.). Fry, bake or air fry. YUM
- Brown sugar - plain old sugar with molasses added. Light to dark - depends on amount of molasses.
- Seasoning mixes - you can make just about any flavor combination that you can think off. You can add salt or go salt free
- Shredded cheese - oh my goodness, DO IT yourself!!!! When you buy already shredded cheese you are also consuming wood pulp and goodness knows what else - to prevent clumping. Shred it as you need it
- Croutons - is simply dry and seasoned bread. Use older bread (day old) and make up a bunch if you eat salads regularly. Cut or tear bread - drizzle with a bit of oil or butter - add your seasoning and dry. Can oven dry or dry in the microwave. You can air dry easily if you didn't use oil.
- Drinks - tea and lemonade - super easy and tasty to make at home. Of course there is water too - add a slice of lemon or a squirt of lemon juice to jazz it up for a fresh taste
- Lunches - whether eating at home or taking it to work. Think about leftovers - use them. Make simple items that are filling and easy. Think about roll-ups - you can put absolutely anything in them and have a meal. Soups or casseroles. Sandwiches - there is no limit to having an inexpensive lunch
- Tartar sauce - super easy. Mayo, relish and maybe a bit of lemon juice and horseradish (if you choose). Make it as you need it.
- Hummus - super easy. Chickpeas, a dab of oil and flavorings of your choice. Healthy and tasty - no need to keep dip on hand all the time. Open a can of chickpeas and GO!
- Fancy coffees - stay out of the shops!!!!!!! Make your own. You may need to experiment a little - but it is so easy to make your own. Saves a small fortune!!!!!! Those fancy coffees are expensive. There are recipes all over the internet for making your own
- Breakfast foods - make batches of pancakes or waffles and freeze. Can heat in the toaster or microwave. Breakfast burritos - add whatever you want. Wrap and freeze. Breakfast biscuits or bagels. Add egg, sausage, ham, bacon, cheese or whatever you want. These are easy to grab, heat and go!!!!! So tasty, inexpensive and tastes much better than fast food.
We can save so much money by just doing things at home. Stop going out to eat and going out for snacks. Make your own. You will be amazed at how much better homemade tastes than store bought.
THURSDAY I will list a few quick and easy recipes for those "make it instead of buy it" ideas. Mixes, soups and drinks, misc.
******************* NOTICE TO ALL:********************
On a different note - here is a heads up. Blogger and Google are changing things up again. UGH! We all know I hate change. I will show you the notice I got. For those of you who get EMAIL notices of the blog - not sure - but those may stop for a bit. My notice (when expanded) says I may not have to do anything - but who knows!!!! If you stop getting notices for a bit - please remember I post EVERY Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - so check another way!!!! I literally haven't figured out how to fix this - their directions are as clear as mud!
PLEASE let me know if email notices STOP as of July - so I can try to figure this out. Hopefully all just goes on as normal!!!!!!!
Hopefully all just keeps going like it is. Fingers crossed!!!!
Have a great day - see you tomorrow. Stay cool and safe my friends!!!!