Happy Sunday to all. Hope you all had a good week and that this finds you well.
I had a pretty good week. I got to see a friend (my former boss) that I haven't physically seen in 2 years this week. They moved to CO. after retiring and visits are not frequent. It was so good to get to visit for a while.
Woke Thursday to another surprise in the back yard. Looked out after getting dressed and lo and behold there was a Momma and 4 young racoons!! Racoons make me nervous around my cats - but I have to admit they sure are cute. Those young ones were running and frolicking around - up and down the trees - acting like kids! The Mom just kept trying to collect them to move on - and they kept running away from her! It was funny. I waited till they moved on before taking the kitties food out. Momma and Fluff were at my kitchen door and Blackie slept through it - so all were safe. I swear this is a flipping wild animal habitat in the city!!! My fault I guess!
We had a day or two with a lot of rain and now we are hot. It looks like temps will be more normal this next week with highs in the lower 80's but we have a chance of rain everyday.
- I did get the garden all planted on Sunday. Pots and ground. Tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and cucumbers. Green onions also planted - may do some other stuff - still have some room.
- The last important fix has been done to the Blazer. No more snap, crackle & pop (stabilizer bars) this week. No more trouble getting gas. No more hot car. No more car not starting. Sigh of relief. My neighbor probably saved me over $1,500 is shop fees over the past few weeks.
- I de-flowered the front walk and steps! LOL. I got it manageable to walk up the sidewalk again!
- I have 2 rain barrels full - 110 gallons of God's water! Been using it to water plants
- Mowed and trimmed the entire yard
- I cut bouquets of peonies until I couldn't. They are done for this year. I still have roses and other flowers looking pretty. The lilies are getting covered with buds
- Made a plan for repairing the shed front - it really needs a lot of work on the west side. Checked the stash of things in the garage and thankfully I have more than enough lumber to fix it!!! So glad I don't have to buy wood at this time.
- I washed down the front of the house & (porch) and took apart the security door and cleaned it and washed the window. You would think the porch would stay clean but being under a roof it just collects dust and grime
- I finally ran to the grocery. My area stores seem to be fully stocked. I got some really good deals. 3 - 2lb. packs of ground beef/pork combo for 2.99 ea. (1.50 lb!). Got a small pork loin for 2.69. 2 - 5 lb. bags of s/r flour for .89 ea. 2- sliced loaves of Italian bread for .79 ea. YAY! All was on clearance.
- I then saw a sign as I left the grocery for a BIG yard sale. I decided to stop - first yard sale in almost 2 years for me. I got 4 small cookbooks for .25 ea. and I got a NuWave 10 qt. air fryer (used once) with rotisserie for $10!!!! It has the book with it and looks like it was never used. I guess some of the Covid 'shopping' items will be cheap this year!!!!!! I have been wanting to try an air fryer - but in no way wanted to spend a lot unless I liked it. Now I can try it for next to nothing and if I don't like it - I will pass it on.
Meals this past week:
Fried cabbage with smoked sausage and mac n cheese
Chicken and dumplings (small Sweet Sue) and fried corn/with onion
Baked potato and grilled small zucchini
BBQ pork/pepper/onion/swiss cheese sandwiches
Breakfast - silver dollar pancakes (freezer), scrambled eggs, pork chop (precooked freezer)
Veggie/cheese squares (my version) - no oven needed
Tamales and tortilla chips
I hope to pull weeds this week from my big perennial bed - it is a huge mess!! Maybe with rain off and on they will be easier. I need to do some painting as well - we will see. I need to clean out the shed - ugh!
So many things need done. I need to light my fire again!!!!
How was your week? How are your plants doing? Did you get any deals or do anything frugal? I like hearing what everyone is up to.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.
May you all stay safe and well this coming week.
Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid; for the Lord God is my strength and my song, and He has become my salvation.