This morning, my favorite saying is .....rain, rain go away - come again some other day! It started raining Friday and isn't supposed to stop till sometime tomorrow. We had 3" by mid-day yesterday, and another 3" - 4" on the way before it ends. I know April showers bring May flowers - but them flowers better have on their life jackets!!!!!
We have a small lake in the back yard this morning, as do most of the neighbors. At least it isn't snow that many have gotten this week! YIKES!
I did see an oriole in the back yard earlier in the week. That is a first in our 31 years of living here. It was absolutely gorgeous!
My columbines are blooming and the poppies have started as well. They are just so bright and cheerful - they make me smile!
- Been working on washing many of the canning jars I received FREE last summer. I do a dozen at a time. Eventually I will get through the 10 dozen. I want to be ready for canning!
- I checked inventory of lids and bands, as most of the jars I was given had no bands or they were rusted. Amazingly I have many, many boxes!
- Got to do yard work the first part of the week. Got all the weeds cleaned out of garden pots
- Washed down the front of the house and porch and under the awning on the side of house. Just hosing things down - costs really nothing - and makes everything look so fresh!
- Cleaned and polished the kitchen cabinets
- Worked on getting all the dead wood out of the roses (espec. climbers). It is so easy to find, now that everything is growing.
- Took all the heavy bedding out of the greenhouse - the cats don't need that for awhile. Got is all washed up and ready for next winter.
- Line dried laundry
- Received a $5.49 rebate check from Menards. Not a lot - but it all adds up!
- Worked on straightening my downstairs stockpile.
- Received a 20% off coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond - good till 7/31. I will use this summer for a new carbonator for the Soda Stream. (I will also rec. a discount for turning in old one!)
- Ran to Aldi and got milk for 1.04/gallon and eggs for .67/dozen. Also got a bag of 10 - palm sized cucumbers for .99
- Stopped at Kroger to look for clearance - and I got some great deals to add to my stockpile. Bought nothing that wasn't clearance!! OH - except 2 lbs. fresh strawberries - .99/lb.!
Large cans of pears - .54 can. Reg. 1.79 ea. (2019)
Tropical fruit salad - .59 can. Reg. .99 ea. (2019)
Tiny cans of cranberry sauce - .20 can. Reg. .79 (2018) Not something we eat much.
Taco shells - 10/packs - 2 for .74!!! reg. 2/3.00 (2018)
Guacamole seasoning packs - .21 ea. - reg. .83. (2018) Got several for gift baskets!
Meals this week:
Individual pizzas and chips and dip
Salsa/cheese burgers and a big salad
Pork cube steaks, red beans & rice (Aldi boxed mix - very good)
Steak burgers with gravy, rice w/mushrooms and side salad
Fish sandwiches and oven fries & side salad
Homemade crunch wraps
Homemade seafood salad, cheese slices, crackers and veggies
All leftovers eaten for lunches or breakfast
Made a blackberry/raspberry (from freezer) pie
I have been trying to plan my garden as well. I just can't make up my mind on what to plant. I will go downstairs today and inventory all my home canned goods, to see what I need to add this year.
What was your frugal week like? Did you get any good deals or bargains? I love hearing what everyone is doing - it gives us all incentives to work harder and gives us new ideas.
Blessings to each of you in this coming week.