Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Garden Weights and Measures

I am sure that I am not the only who wonders how much of something I need for my canning.
I go through this every year.  I end up with a ton of cucumbers , but don't know how many jars of pickles it will make.  It is that way with most things.
One thing to remember is not all measures will be the same - it just depends of what you are making!
Relish vs. pickles, is an example.

Basics:
A bushel is 8 gallons of dry goods

SNAP BEANS - a bushel is approx. 30 lbs.
POLE BEANS - a bushel is approx. 28 lbs.
Both will give you abut 15-20 quarts canned.  It takes approx. 1.5 - 2 lbs. per quart

TOMATOES - a bushel is approx. 50 lbs.
4 pecks per bushel - each peck is 2 gallons, so that is 8 gallons per bushel
This is a veggie that you can't actually figure how much you need.  It totally depends on how you plan to fix them.  Canning wholes tomatoes will be different than making sauce.
NOTE:  I love using Mrs. Wages seasoning mixes and according to those directions about 6 lbs. of fresh tomatoes will give your 5 pints of salsa, spaghetti sauce, etc.
That may help give you a gauge to go by.

CUCUMBERS - a bushel is approx. 48 lbs.
You should get some where around 24 quarts of pickles
Relish and such - I can only guess.

CORN ON EAR - a bushel is approx. 60 - 70 lbs.
Cutting corn off ear and canning - you will get around 8-10 quarts

SUMMER SQUASH - a bushel is approx. 40-44 lbs.
You should get 32-40 pints frozen
2 lbs. - 4 lbs. to a quart canned

OKRA - a bushel is approx. 26 - 30 lbs.
Get about 17 quarts canned OR 34 -40 pints frozen

CABBAGE - approx. 3 lbs. = 1 quart of sauerkraut
1 lb. cooked is about 2 cups
1 lb. shredded and raw is about 4 cups

RHUBARB - 1 lb. is about 3/4 cup cooked


I plan on doing a post on various fruits later on. 
I hope this will help you get an idea of what you will need for canning this summer.

I sure wish there was a chart that says how many pounds you can get per plant!!!!!  LOL!!  Some years I have good luck and my plants produce  bunches and other years - pickings are slim.  I guess everything depends of water and weather.


I know we are all chomping at the bit to plant, harvest and can/freeze.   
I soooooooo look forward to eating that first ripe tomato!!!!!!  There's nothing better in my opinion.

Do you have any hints or tricks that you use in figuring out what you need for canning?
If so, PLEASE let us know!
HAPPY GARDENING



9 comments:

  1. I think we could race to see who posts that they have the FIRST tomato, LOL !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeppers!!!!!!!!!! I am sure it won't be me - as we can't even plant for a few weeks!

      I did notice a bunch of tiny plants coming up in my barrel that had grape tomatoes last year. Who knows what they will be - but I will let a few grow! I love surprises!!

      Delete
  2. Thank you...this is so helpful! For the veggies that I do not have the space to grow enough of for canning, I plan on buying them at the local Farmer's Market and canning them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie that is kind of what I thought. Many of us can't grow everything, so it will come in handy when shopping.
      have a good one.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! I hit the Farmers' Market too, but I've always felt like such a dumb cluck asking for a "bunch of beans". Haha This year I'll be so much better prepared thanks to you. Mindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Melinda. We have all done that!!!! I know I have.
      Have a great day.

      Delete
  4. GREAT INFO!!!!! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post to print out and tuck in my wallet! thanks, Cheryl! :-))

    ReplyDelete