You are all aware that I don't believe in just one way of doing things! No one way on a recipe, or a use, or meal or way of doing things! We all have our own ways and that is good. There are so many ways to change things up and save a dime or two. I think it is kind of fun to experiment. You need to break free of the binds that says "this way" and do things your way!!!!!
Just a few ideas:
- Need a quick dessert? Take some frozen berries out and mix in with applesauce. This makes a easy and quick flavorful dessert
- Broken bits of chips, pretzels, crackers - crush them and use as topping for casseroles or as a crust/coating for chicken, pork or fish. Add to ground beef for an extender
- Stale crackers, cereal, or chips - place in a microwave safe dish and zap for 30-45 seconds. Let them stand for a minute or so and they are all crisp again!
- Quick fried potatoes - I will microwave potatoes for a few minutes - remove and cool to touch - then slice and fry. They cook so much faster
- Place Jelly in a squeeze bottle - saves for a mess with kiddos. Aim and squirt
- Need a quick topping for a no bake cheesecake? No fruit topping on hand? Use a spoonful of jam or preserves on each piece of cheesecake. Gives a nice touch of fruit taste and no extra expense. Works with ice cream as well as yogurt too!
- Cut bananas in half and place on a popsicle stick/craft stick and then dip in melted chocolate and sprinkles/nuts/coconut if desired. Place on a pan in the freezer - make a great freezer/summer treat
- Graham crackers - make great ice cream sandwiches. Break in half - top with ice cream add other half of cracker and freeze. I wrap each in saran wrap to keep in freezer
- Make a nice 'salad' dish - by slicing tomatoes, cucumbers,, maybe adding cauliflower or broccoli bites - then sprinkle with garlic or onion seasoning (or your favorite herb blend) and top with a nice sprinkle of parmesan cheese - so tasty
- ANOTHER easy dessert - 1 can of fruit cocktail (undrained) and a 3.4 oz. box of instant vanilla pudding. Mix both together - top with marshmallows or chopped nuts. I can think of sooooo many options for this - different fruit and different flavor of pudding mix. HOW EASY!
- Stale doughnuts, muffins, or coffee cake? Break up and use in bread pudding instead of bread!
- Make a box cake mix taste homemade - sub 1/2 C mayonnaise for 1/2 C oil - tastes so flavorful and is moist
- Easy shredding - when I cook boneless chicken pieces or pork roast - once cooked and tender - I use my hand mixer to shred it up. YEP! Turn mixer on low and it will shred your meat like super quick. It is the only way I shred now
- Seedless grapes - remove from stems and freeze. Oh my goodness, this is one of my favorite treats in the summer! I freeze in small baggies or containers and take out as needed. They just taste sweeter and are so refreshing.
Just a thing or two! What fun subs do you have to jazz things up? Any new tricks we all need to use?
Give us a shout out!!!!