Inflation - that is what everyone is talking about. Shortages - that is what everyone is talking about.
I am talking about making do, changing habits, and learning new things. I am talking about getting a new mindset.
I am talking simplifying things. We are always in a hurry and just want everything NOW. Maybe, just maybe, with a mindset adjustment - living simpler and BETTER could actually happen!
- Maybe fast one or two days a week - if your health allows
- Eat LESS meat or sub other things for meat. Make black bean or lentil burgers - they really are tasty when made at home.
- Think about the edibles that are wild - we talked about that last week
- Eat much simpler meals. This is huge in my book. You can eat well and eat less every day of the week. You don't have to go out, order in, or have boxed meals delivered to you. Cook from scratch!!!! There's a concept!!!! Meals do not need to be fancy - they can be simple. Good healthy food is always best over fake garbage. Try new things and experiment - you can save so much money on groceries
Super healthy lunch or great after school/work snack for anyone!
- If growing your own veggies - use what you have for fertilizer - no need to spend money. Compost is great. Can't compost? No problem - use crushed dried egg shells, banana peel water, coffee grinds, tea bags, etc. around your plants. You can do this all for nothing!
- Learn to substitute. This goes for lots of things. Food and cooking especially. Try a different meat, or veggie in your recipe. Use what you have on hand. Don't make some special run to the store for an ingredient - cause you know you will buy other things!!!!!! MAKE DO
- Stay home more if possible. Group you trips in one day. Staying home not only saves gas, wear and tear on car but $$$$ as well. If you are home you aren't shopping (stay off those computers!) If you work - try car pooling with others
- You don't have to have name brand fancy items. Kids don' need them either. Sure you want them - but hard times call for drastic measures. Learn to sew or alter, try second hand stores, yard sales in other parts of the city, etc.
- Gardening time is upon us. So many fresh and wonderful food will be sprouting out of the ground. Eat fresh!!!!! Lettuce and salad fixings, grilled zucchini, parm tomato slices, cucumbers and tomatoes and onion salad, bean salads, pasta salads with loads of veggies. Fresh fruits anytime you can get them. This is all so much better for you and for the environment. No plastic bags, no jars, no packaging needed. Just good REAL food in our little cloth totes!! From garden to plate.
- Keep lights off now - it is light early and late - no need for lights. Get as much fresh air as possible in the house. Catch rain water if you are aloud to. It is great for plants. It can be used on your hair too! Makes it soft
Gosh, I could go on and on with ways to stretch your dollars today. YES inflation sucks and so do shortages. That doesn't mean your life has to suck.
Break the habits of always having what you desire. Learn new things. Try new ways. Stop and think before acting on things.
Like many of us, you may find it is actually kind of fun to challenge yourself.
You aren't DEPRIVING yourself - you are APPRECIATING more!!!
Look forward to other ideas!