Thursday, March 30, 2023
Wednesday, March 29, 2023
Fun Day - Lore and Sayings
Let us have a little fun today! I said something the other day to a friend - and they said 'where did that come from?". It was one of those little things our parents said, and we learned as we grew up. The tales, lore and superstitions of old! There are many today who still believe!!!!!
Tuesday, March 28, 2023
My Observations to Saving and Being Happy
Sunday, March 26, 2023
Weekly Wrap-Up 3/26
Happy Sunday to all. My goodness, here we are almost at the end of another month. My how time flies. Soon April will be here, and many of us will be starting and thinking about gardens. Those of us here in the middle parts of the U.S., know that we need to wait to plant outside for a while. We can still have frost, snow and cold up through early May. Mother's Day, has always been the magic date!!!
- Cleaning and de-cluttering galore!!! Drawers, closets, pantry, basement, etc.
- I have found some things that help in other areas. I found a couple great scrapers that will help with the continuing wallpaper saga. I found 2 boxes and an 8 pack of Kleenex in the med closet. I know I got those free years ago - and just stuck them back for in case!
- I got rid of REALLY old herbs and vitamins (really old).
- Paid all the items on hand
- Made a new batch of seasoned rice/pasta mix to have on hand
- Found and used some items in the deep pantry - partial jars - blended together (dry goods). Found a gifted mix for chocolate pound cake which I made and shared.
- Used some older buns for dinner (from frig). They were a bit stale - so I toasted and they were great
- Unplugged all the outdoor water bowls for a few days. Saves a little on electric.
- Got to air the house 1 day
- Picking and clearing sticks and trash from wind (when it wasn't raining!)
- I did run to Kroger Friday (4X gas points on Fri.). I got some on sale fresh asparagus, Cara Cara oranges - 3lbs. 2.99 (they are almost red & super sweet), peanuts for squirrels (cheaper than feed store), and 1/2 gals. of ice cream. It was on sale 1.99 half and I had .65 off coupons - so got 2 for 1.34 each.
- Froze a couple helpings of leftover corned beef for other days!
- While out - I ran to the bank and got my cash 'allowance' for the next couple months
- Using what I have for meals and cooking from home
- Just doing all the normal stuff we all do
Thursday, March 23, 2023
My Tip and a Thought
Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Using Old Groceries to Make New Groceries
Tuesday, March 21, 2023
Sunday, March 19, 2023
Weekly Wrap-Up 3/19
- I did do another yard pick-up at the first of week. Sticks and more sticks
- Changed batteries and the furnace filter this week with the start of the time change - it is a good reminder time for that.
- Taxes are done!!!!!! I was going to do myself, and decided to let the company do them again - they are responsible if there is a problem! It is a family operation and been around for 50 years. Not sure how it keeps happening, but I am getting a really NICE refund from Federal, and I owe state $40.
- Had an old friend from my work days come by for a visit this week.
- Ran to the library while out (directly across from tax place)
- Ran to Aldi that day as well. Hadn't been there in a while. Got fruit and fresh veggies only. Saw eggs for 1/99/doz.
- I received a lovely card and a gift from a reader. I was so humbled. Thank you Hilo!
- Just doing all the regular stuff we all do
- Eating from home and using leftovers
Thursday, March 16, 2023
Fun Mail and A QUESTION for You
Wednesday, March 15, 2023
It REALLY is Coming!!!!!!!
Tuesday, March 14, 2023
A Subject I Keep Seeing
- Bottled water - I don't buy. I am fine with my faucet, and I do have a water filter.
- Packaged ice - I make my own. I keep plenty of trays - and make ice ahead if I am having company.
- Anything "designer". Not my thing! IF I found something at a secondhand shop - cheaply - that I LOVED - maybe. Labels mean nothing to me.
- Weed killer for the lawn. I imagine many neighbors dislike me - but no, I will not spray my yard with weed killers of any type.
- Tissues - I use washable hankies or TP. I can't tell you the last time I purchased tissues.
- Cleaning supplies - I make my own. I do buy laundry detergent, dish soap, and shampoo - but they all get watered down and last forever.
- A pet!!! Never would I purchase a pet from a store or breeder. I would pay a fee to adopt from a rescue shelter.
- Hair care. I cut and color my hair at home. I have done this for over 3 decades. Even before that - I used to perm my hair - and I did that at home as well.
- I don't shop online. I don't - but IF there was something I truly needed, I might.
- If I eat out somewhere (rarely happens) - I won't order pasta dishes! Pasta is about the cheapest ingredients that I can purchase - so I am not going to pay a fortune for a plate of it! (just me)
- Nothing much for full price!!! I try to get everything I can at a discount, sale, coupon deal, or clearance that I can!
- I don't like buying a lot of things new - I do love a thrift store, yard sale or upcycling. I will buy new when necessary - but it will be marked down!
- I rarely buy paper towels or paper plates. I do keep some plates on hand for various uses - but they last forever, and I rarely use. Paper towels were pretty much purchased for kitty yak - now that isn't an issue - so they will last forever. I have lots of pretty paper napkins I bought years ago for .10 a pack at a yard sale - will never have to buy them again!
Sunday, March 12, 2023
Weekly Wrap-Up 3/12
- I rotated my mattress - top to bottom. That needed to be done for a long while
- Tons of laundry. Did all the bedding, throw rugs and also winter jackets and coats
- Used very old apples and made an apple crisp
- Worked out in the yard a lot the first of week. I cleared a lot more from flower beds, raked up gunk, and moved a lot of the yard decorations to new places. Have several pots set aside that are bad - to use for drainage/dirt in new pots this spring
- Got to air the house a couple days - even got my flip-flops out and wore them!!!!!
- Picked a bouquet
- Got a call that Fluffy's cremains were back - so went and picked her up
- I made the sherbet with the orange soda and sweetened milk. YUM! I just had 2 cans and it called for a liter of liquid, so I added a cup of orange juice as well. It tastes soooooo good! It isn't as smooth and creamy as store bought - more crystalized. But it sure is tasty!
- Used leftovers in new ways
- Just doing general cleaning, dusting and vacuuming - piddling around the house - nothing big
Thursday, March 9, 2023
Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice & and Reminder!
Wednesday, March 8, 2023
What I'm Using and NOT Wasting
Tuesday, March 7, 2023
Spring is in the Air
Sunday, March 5, 2023
Weekly Wrap Up 3/5
- I did a stick pick-up 3X this week. Not just from the wind, but those darned little squirrels. They are young and trying to make nests - and don't quite have it down yet! They keep chewing young branches from the trees for their nesting material - and then they drop them!
- Cancelled my newspaper to a half service. It is under half the price as before. I think after a month of this, I will cancel all together. I just don't read it like I used to.
- Got my March coupons from Kroger
- I trimmed my hair and did a root touch-up
- Got to air the house a couple days
- Made OJ from concentrate I had - much cheaper than buying prepared at this time
- Continuing the wallpaper saga!
- Did run to Kroger - got bananas and mandarins and eggs for 1.89 doz.!!! Woop-woop!!!! Needed very little - actually didn't NEED what I got - but wanted it!
- Just doing basic deep cleaning and trying to de-clutter some more
- Cooking from scratch and using what I have
Thursday, March 2, 2023
A Thought and a Thing or 2
Well, here we are in March already. This is known as the windy month in my area! Oh my - February was more than windy enough for me! Tomorrow, we have another wind and rain event coming in. At least yesterday was beautiful. We started the month like a lamb - soon to change!!!
Wednesday, March 1, 2023
THE Story (of family past)
OK , this is the story of one of my ancestors that I have promised for a long time. It is long, so grab a cup of something! I am trying to cut the story down a bit- but there are a lot of interesting tid-bits!! It is history, not just for me and my family, but also the country. I hope you enjoy reading.