Wednesday, March 1, 2023

THE Story (of family past)

 OK , this is the story of one of my ancestors that I have promised for a long time.  It is long, so grab a cup of something!  I am trying to cut the story down a bit- but there are a lot of interesting tid-bits!!  It is history, not just for me and my family, but also the country.  I hope you enjoy reading.

This is about my 6th and 7th great grandpas on one branch of my daddies family tree.
This is in many historical books.

The Hochstetler's were originated from Switzerland.  In the 1600's some joined the anti-Baptist reform movement.  They suffered pretty severe persecution and in the early 1700's many immigrated to what was to become America for religious persecution.
Jacob (my 7th great), was 26 years old when his family arrived in Philadelphia in 1738.  He, his wife, a daughter and son.
In 1739 they settled along the Northkill Creek on the edge of what is now Burks Co. PA.  They built a log home and farm buildings near a spring.  It seemed they had a good life.  They also helped establish the first Amish Mennonite Church in America.
                                              A replica of what was thought to be his first cabin.

During this time the Delaware Indians inhabited a large portion of PA.  They lived in peace and often traded with the white settlers. 
In 1754 the peace was interrupted when France & England wanted to control the area and that just West of the Appalachian Mountains.  The French and the Indians worked together and defeated a British General in 1755.  Then they began to attack the settlers to gain control.
My ancestors lived in relative peace but tension during a short while.
By this time Jacob and his wife had a young daughter at home and 3 more sons.  The older daughter and son were now off on their own.

On September 19, 1757 a group of young people had gathered at the farm for an evening of cider making.  They left and they family went off to bed.  They arose to a lot of clamor outdoors.  The younger Jacob (Jr.) went to the door and opened to see what was going on - and he was shot in the leg.  He managed to close and bolt the door.  They could see many Indians around the property, but in accordance with their beliefs, they did not shoot! (They believed in peace).  The house was set afire.
They family made it to the cellar under the home.  As the fires started affecting them there, they managed to douse it with the much cider they had in keeping there.  Eventually it got to be too much, and they had to try to get out.  That is when the worst happened.
Young Jacob and the young daughter were killed and scalped.  Momma was stabbed in the heart - a huge sign of disrespect.  She had (according to lore) turned away some of the Indians at some point that were hungry.
Son, Christian, was about to be scalped, when the Indians saw his bright blue eyes and stopped.  He was spared.  They took him and the elder Jacob with them.  They came back the next day and found Joseph, who was hiding, and took him as well. 
The men were allowed to pick up all the peaches they could carry as they were making their way to the Indian camp.  They offered the peaches to the chief, and because of that act, they were all spared the cruel treatment most prisoners were given.  They were then traded to 3 different tribes.


Before they were traded, Jacob told his sons to remember the Lord's Prayer and not forget their German (Swiss) language.  Jacob minded his P's & Q's.  He was finally allowed to go hunting on his own.  He escaped.  He was found some time later, almost dead from starvation, by the British.  He relayed the story and gave them needed information.  After healing up, they returned him to his home area.

As the French & Indian war ended, peace treaties were signed, and the return of all white captures was supposed to happen.  It wasn't quick.  In 1762, Jacob asked the Govenor for help in getting his sons back.  Joseph was returned in 1764.  Christian wasn't returned until 1765.  Both were reluctant to go back to white society.  They had been adopted into the Indian culture and families.  Christian was the youngest when captured, so he had the hardest time.
Finally, both married, and were slowly re-integrated into white society and their Amish community.
Christian converted and jointed the church and went on to become a preacher.

CHRISTIAN is my 6th great grandpa!
Yeah, these were the good old days - NOT!  I cannot fathom what our ancestors had to endure just to survive daily life.  
I find this story so absolutely amazing.  The strength and fortitude.  The faith.  I do believe I have come from pretty amazing stock!!!!!!
I often think about this story and had ONE tiny thing changed - I would not be here today.  What if Christian had not had those blazing blue eyes, or had he rejected the Amish community, or had Jacob not gifted the chief peaches.......... WOW!

It wouldn't surprise me if some of our readers here, were related to me in some way.  Jacob has tens of thousands of descendants today. 
I condensed this down a bit - but it has been related in many history type books.  Just think this all happened BEFORE this land was even a country in its own right!
That is a little of my ancestors' history.  I am very proud of where I have come from and the people and their lives.  I think bits of that DNA is surely passed on and helps to make us what we are today.

Thanks for reading.  Hope it didn't bore you!


34 comments:

  1. What a fascinating family story, Cheryl. Thank you so much for sharing it. You are so right... had any one (even small) thing changed, you might not be here today. I'm very grateful you are! In our modern world today, we can't imagine the day to day lives of our ancestors. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops... forgot to sign in first. --Elise

      Delete
    2. I think it is fascinating. Yep - one thing. I am kind glad I am here too!!! We think we have it bad!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. kind of funny, my Amish neighbor is Hochstetler and we bought this house from his brother. They are from Switzerland generations ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can almost guarantee that I am somehow related to your neighbor. With that same history - almost a sure thing. How cool. There are many from PA, OH, IN and all around.

      Delete
  3. What an interesing and harrowing tale. Thank goodness for the tenacity and small mercies that kept these men alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just amazing. I am glad they survived as well. Just love the stories of the past.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating! Yup, if one thing were changed back then, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl, thank you for sharing the fascinating history of your family with us. I have been doing some geneolgic research on my family and it's so interesting the things that I've found. We live not far from Berks and Lancaster counties in Pa. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family research is just so fun and the stories we come upon!!!! I have stories that grands never told of family. Things were embarrassing back in the day - that are not now. I love the sorted stories!!! You can find a lot of neat stuff.
      What a historic place to live. Neat!

      Delete
  6. I love reading about history. Our ancestors went through things that most of us cannot even imagine. My maternal grandfathers family originated in Prussia. Half immigrated to Switzerland and the other half to Illinois. My grandfather found his Switzerland family back in the late 70's and traveled there many times and they all visited Illinois once or twice. Reading over your ancestors lives really does make you realize, one small change and your life would have been totally different. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to get to travel to the homeland. That would really be something. I have a friend that has done the same thing. That would be amazing. Just to see the places would be neat. She and her husband renewed their vows (at 40 yrs) in the same place her 5x grandparents married in Europe.
      Yes mam, one little change is all it would have taken.

      Delete
  7. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 1, 2023 at 2:24 PM

    Wow! That was a great story and seems a bit familiar to me. Do you know if they came on the Nancy ship? I read a book about the Amish coming to America from Switzerland some years ago. I wish I still had the name. I was so mesmerized by the Amish when we studied them in elementary school that my friends would joke that I was going to run off and join a sect lol. I subscribe to an Emag? called Amish America now. And no, to my knowledge, I don't have a drop of Amish blood in me! I am, however, a DAR from my Grandma's side. Last I heard, that ancestral line had someone in every U.S. war ever fought. The only interesting tidbit I heard was that my Grandma's grandfather fought in the Indian wars and against the Apache. My great grandpa from my Grandpa's side was said to be pure blooded Apache who loathed white men. I would love to know more!

    Thanks, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 1, 2023 at 3:00 PM

      The ship I was thinking of was called Charming Nancy! I knew it had Nancy in it lol.

      Delete
    2. Oh my, my father's ancestor came on the Charming Nancy! They came from Alsace in France originally. Three brothers and their parents, but the parents died of dysentery on the ship. The brothers settled in PA, I don't recall where. Cheryl, we are likely related!

      Delete
    3. Oh my goodness! How very interesting is that. We surely may be!!!! Many of the people on the ship (from what I read) were from much of the same area and were leaving for the same reason. So there is a great likelihood that we could be related!
      How cool!

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a wonderful ancestry. How horrible for that family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - so many went through so much back in time. Their resolve was amazing.

      Delete
  9. I am really interested in family history and this is a fascinating and awful tale of your family, your several x great grandfather was lucky to survive. It is interesting that Joseph and Christian had both adopted the Indian culture before returning 'home'. It's great that your family are well documented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family history is very interesting. It surely is a bit of who we are today. Yes, they were lucky, and I guess the younger ones would be more apt to adopt a new way of life.
      I have other branches of the family, that seem to have just fallen to earth - as they are very hard to find anything on! This side is very well documented.

      Delete
    2. My Goldfinch family are documented on a North American Family History site. My 4 x great grandfather William Goldfinch had 17 children with his 2 wives. He was born in Kent England, some of the children from his first marriage stayed in England, the younger ones left for New York with his their Dad and his second wife. William died at Athens, PA in 1855. His daughter Mary Maria stayed in the UK, she was my 3x GGM. Yes some branches of my families just seen to have disappeared lol.

      Delete
    3. How neat. I just love hearing other's stories. It is so cool to have documentation available on family.

      Delete
  10. I have not really had to work hard on the history on my Father's side. There is a website where everything is contained it is called Miles Files. It is a life long passion of MK Miles. I was able to speak with him by phone. His Mother was my Aunt's sister. My fathers family settled on the Eastern shore of Maryland. His family is from Saxis Island Virginia. If you are ever bored, feel free to look at this site. So many families that settled in America and wove whole generations together. My fathers village was Bivalve, Maryland. I think Mr. Miles has given so many the gift of being able to trace back their heritage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very fortunate to have such info at hand. I praise all those that have done such hard work and documented so much for posterity! What a gift.
      I had that gift on another branch as well. The first one I started to research was another of dad's lines - and right off the bat, I got a person who had done years worth of research. It was wonderful.
      I will check that out. History is sure fascinating.

      Delete
  11. What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I figured you would like it - our history buff!!!!!

      Delete
  12. I love reading about others' family history! Thanks for sharing.

    My brother before he retired worked for an international company in NYC. About 10 years ago he was telling a co- worker that our family was getting into genealogy and researching Captain John George Overmire so we could join DAR & SAR. Low and behold this man was also descended from Captain John George! My brother and our "cousin" are now great friends! Isn't it amazing how my brother & cousin who are not from NY both ended up moving there and working not only for the same company but in the same office on the same projects?

    John George came from Germany in 1752 and settled in North Umberland Co. PA. He fought in the French & Indian War & the Revolutionary War. His homestead was a designated fort against Indian raids. One Overmire mother saw her baby kidnapped during a raid before she could get him to the house and never saw him again. Every war/conflict since the Overmires have served.

    One cousin estimates that John George probably has a million descendants. He married twice and had 10-12 kids per wife. And those kids had 8-10 or more most of whom survived into adulthood to have their own kids. We are related to both lines from the 2 wives.

    When I read the descriptions of John George I think that must be where I get some of my traits! Lol

    Then there's the side that came from Alsace Lorraine France because of conflicts with Germany in the late 1800s.

    Eventually, a German Lutheran Overmire descendant (my grandmother) married a descedant of that French Catholic (my grandfather- 1st generation) fleeing the Germans. I'm guessing that made for some interesting family dynamics! I do know my grandfather wasn't fond of German Christmas decorations!
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fascinating story. I love it. It sure is a small world!!!! I do find it amazing how people from such different places and lives end up being related. I have always heard there are no 'coincidences'.
      I have one grandpa (I think 3X) in the same line that had over twenty children with 2 wives as well! Guess they needed something to do for fun!!! LOL
      It seems so many came to this land because of retributions in their homelands. I guess some things never change.
      Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
    2. Maybe for fun sometimes I'll look to see if any Overmire/Overmyer ever crossed paths with a Hochstetler. Overmyers are everywhere and googling Hochstetler they seem to be too!

      I discovered a few years ago my mother-in- law's maternal side came from NC and Overmyers were in the same county at the same time. Just knowing they could've known each other blew my mind. Until I found out we do have Overmeyer in both our trees and we are both related to John George. Plus we also share ancestors from my mom's side from South Carolina! Isn't that wild??
      Then I think-- like attracts like, huh?
      Which means my husband and I were destined to meet???
      ~margaret

      Delete
    3. It is pretty amazing how things work. I have seen distant relatives post on the family page that they were related on both sides of their family as well. The world is indeed small, it seems.
      I think in reality, we are all related back at some point in time. Destined to meet? Would seem so! I believe that can be!

      Delete
    4. Margaret - My husband's family came to Pa. in 1852 from Alsace-Lorraine. They lived in Pa. until 1864 and then moved to NYC. However they are buried on the "family farm" in "Shohola, Pa. Small world. Cookie

      Delete
  13. Wow! What a legacy! My Dad had a close friend named Hochstetler when he was growing up in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think so as well. From what I understand the name is all over the globe. There is a famous football player (CA) that is a descendant and even Katey Sagal (actress) is!

      Delete