Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Tuesday Tip or Two

 Hello all!  Hoping you all are doing well and are having a good week so far.  We made it through some harrowing winds yesterday.  It got kind of scary a couple times - such high winds.  Lots of limbs down here, but there was a tornado in another part of state.  Tis the season!

Just a couple tips and ideas today.  Maybe they will help someone!  Here's hoping.

SODA STREAM
If you have a soda stream, you know the drink mixes can be expensive.  I only have a machine because I found it brand new several years ago, at a yard sale for $15!!!!  It even came with the carbonator canister and extra bottles.  I lucked out.  Now I do like a carbonated drink from time to time.  This works to fill that craving.  I often add fruit juice to the water after it is carbonated - but generally I like a little more flavor.  
 A machine doesn't take up that much room - and you can have carbonated drinks when you want.
I generally use these little individual flavor packets when I want a carbonated drink.  You can get all kinds of flavors.  It gives the flavor and a little sweetness, and takes away my craving.  Using the little packets is a lot cheaper than buying the flavor bottles.  I most always get the flavors at Dollar Tree or on clearance at the grocery.  Each box gives you several servings!

Need extra counter space when having company?  I have a large metal cutting board that I can place over one half of my sink.  It fits nicely and gives me extra counter space!!!!  Just make sure the faucet if over the other half of sink!!!  LOL
You could also open a base drawer part way and place the cutting board over it.  It gives just that little extra space you may need.

Duct tape, clear packing tape, masking tape, etc. - it is always hard to find the end and start to peel.  I often just fold over a piece of the tape - so it has a flap.  You can also place a paper clip, a bread-wrapper tab, a toothpick, etc. under the edge of tape.  It sure saves time and makes it easier to unroll the tape!

When making a 'breakfast' type sandwich - it is nice to have the egg fit the sandwich nicely.  I make breakfast biscuits often and it is good to have a round egg!  Easy!
Grease (well) a wide mouth ring (from canning jars) and place your egg in it to cook!  Flip over when bottom is done - it will fall a little but stays round.  It sure makes a nice round egg for that biscuit!

HOMAMADE HAMBURGER HELPER
Mix together:
1 Tbsp. cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
2 tsps. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 C macaroni
After mixing together you can keep these on your shelf for easy use.  Place in a pint jar or a sealed baggie.  Grab one to make.
Mix with:
1 lb. ground beef (or other ground meat) Browned
2 C milk (or 1 of milk and 1 of broth) - or 2 of broth if you need it to be dairy free
1 C water
Mix these all together with you packet of mix.  Simmer until pasta is done and top with 1 cup shredded cheese.
Make it taste more chili-like by adding a tablespoon of chili powder.
You can change up cheeses or cheese-like options - you can use gluten free pasta, you can add any variety of spices to change it up.
It is always nice to have an alternative to something and to have it be as natural and preservative free as possible.  This is a great BASIC recipe.  Have fun with it.

You can use basically the same seasoning mix - maybe add a little celery seed - for chicken as well.   Mix with 2 cups of pasta for your shelf storage.
Add to a cup of cooked and shredded chicken with a cup of milk (or broth) and 2 cups of diced tomatoes.  Top with parmesan cheese.  YUM a totally different but sort of same recipe!!!!!!

Hoping you found a tip you can use today.  Sometimes the easiest and simple ideas can be time savers.
Any time savers you care to share?
Have a wonderful Tuesday my friends.




31 comments:

  1. I'm going to give your homemade hamburger helper mix a try. I don't eat it often but once in awhile it's nice. I do the same thing as you once in awhile but with carbonated water instead of Soda Stream. It works with some of the coffee syrup flavors too but my favorite is the dollar store strawberry lemonade flavor. I enjoy taking a box of pancake mix and adding a flavored muffin mix packet to the whole box for flavored pancakes. With prices going up, I am using more homemade mixes like ranch dressing mix. --Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to eat once in a while - and this way you know exactly what is in it!
      Those flavor packets are fun. So many flavors to choose from.
      Mmmm the pancakes sound like they would be tasty. Good idea. It just makes good sense to use what we have, get creative, and stop buying convenience things. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love love love those flavor packets. I'll sometimes mix a lemonade one into a pitcher of iced tea, especially if I don't have a lemon. It hits the spot! Another way to use your cutting board is to set it on top of 4-6 cans, giving you an added tier on your counter for serving during a buffet-type meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the little packets too. I do the same sometimes with iced tea. Sometimes you just want something different.
      That is a smart idea on the cutting board. Another level can be handy too. Great idea.

      Delete
  3. Great idea with the jar lid. I tend to make the egg fit on the bagel or biscuit by folding it over on itself when it has spread.
    Glad you didn't get a tornado, those the winds sound pretty darned scary to me. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - it is nice to have the egg fit the sandwich!
      Oh the winds here have been nuts for a while. Each week we get 50-60 mph gusts and straight winds of 30-40 mph. There was rotation yesterday. That is one thing I hate about spring!

      Delete
  4. For the tapes, the hard plastic bread bag tab works great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does. Perfect size for masking tape and just big enough to grasp on wider tapes.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the Hamburger Helper recipe. I haven't bought Hamburger Helper in years, but I do like it (and the fact that it can all be made in one pan!) I have two little boys who would probably love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, it has been windy! Thunder the end of February...weird...

    I use those bread wrapper tabs on the edge of tape so it's easier to use. Anything we can make ourselves is ever so much better than drive-thru or something ready made from the grocery. You know what goes into your food and of course, who made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the wind has been nuts. Spring is almost here and so will tornado season be.
      Those tabs are great. I agree - homemade just tastes better, it cheaper and YES you know what is in it and you know the kitchen is CLEAN!!!!

      Delete
  7. I've never had Hamburger Helper but do make a dish very similar to the one you posted. It's just nice to know what is in my food. They taste better and are better for you.
    The wind was vicious here yesterday. I heard it roaring a few times and it was a bit scary. A tornado touched down a couple of hours north of us in Champaign. This time of the year is a bit nerve racking here. Enjoy your Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many ways to make tasty treats for our meals all by scratch!
      It was scary wasn't it? Yes mam, this time of the year is very nerve racking. Sometimes it sounded like the house was moaning.

      Delete
  8. Wind is my least favorite weather, so 60 mph is total yuck. My sympathies. Beautiful here today, but snow expected tonight and tomorrow.
    I think the plastic bread bag tab on the end of the tape idea is brilliant. How many years have I struggled with this and never thought of this simple solution. Sigh.
    I like the carbonated water with flavoring idea too!
    Thanks to everyone!
    Ellie
    Central Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, here in AZ I find the wind is what makes it feel super cold. If the air is still and the sun is out, 35 degrees is fairly comfortable in comparison! --Elise

      Delete
    2. Wind is my least favorite as well. I can handle rain and even snow - but wind can destroy so much in just a flash.
      Sometimes it is the simple things that make us smack our foreheads!!! LOL
      I agree with Elis, the wind can make a 50's day feel cold. We are having a 50's day today. Cloudy and no wind - so OK.

      Delete
  9. How appropriate and timely! Just last night I was mentioning to Hubs all the ground beef in our freezers, all bought on sale over the last 6 months or so. There are pounds of it! My tip has to do with that frozen, raw ground beef...

    We all have days when we're not really enthused to cook a dinner. When we rotated our frozen meats recently (by date), I moved a handful of pkgs. of ground beef into the fridge freezer. One pkg. at a time, I'm thawing them in the fridge, browning the meat, straining it, adding whatever seasonings (or not), and once cooled, vacuum sealing the cooked meat, and popping back into the freezer for fast dinners later! That way, I don't have to worry about spoilage. From the freezer, that cooked, packaged meat gets popped into the microwave and fast-thawed before fully reheating in a skillet or pot. Also, you have just enough pre-cooked meat for a meal in minutes.

    I'd better get creative with ground beef recipes again and joked I need to write another cookbook; 101 Tasty Ways To Use Hamburger. LOL! --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Sunday's snow melted off yesterday, just in time for tomorrow's snow storm, predicted to bring another 7 inches by Thursday afternoon. Someone remind me during summer heat that I was snow-fatigued in February.

      Delete
    2. That is a great tip. Those busy days - it makes it nice to have the meat cooked and ready to go.
      I do have a cookbook (very old one) that I think is 100 hamburger recipes!!! I think I got it for a quarter at a yard sale years ago.
      Good golly Miss Molly - you sure have been given the snow curse! WOW. Something like 21 days till spring!!!!!!! Just remember this when you are melting from the heat this summer!

      Delete
  10. For years I have grabbed anything nearby to put at the end of the wider tape. Otherwise, it takes ten minutes to find the end of the tape, pull it off crooked with a little shred on the length.

    I accidentally used pancake mix instead of Bisquick in sausage balls, so I am rethinking both for additional alternative uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything helps to keep that end loose! It can take forever to find the end.
      I would think that would have been yummy - maybe a little sweeter. I would think you could switch either now and then.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the great tips, Cheryl, and the Hamburger Helper recipe. I've never used the prepackaged mix found on grocery shelves, but I will make the homemade one. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I hope you enjoy. Homemade is better any way!!!

      Delete
  12. Great ideas to use for extra counter space! That is very handy too on the egg shape thing, very industrious! Love it!

    Have a great day Cheryl and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. When you want a round egg - you look around! Boom - had to try it and it worked!

      Delete
  13. I don't have anything to add to this conversation lol, so I'll say hello!
    Beautiful day again. I opened the patio door again for some fresh air.
    Sunny and bright. And windy. It's always windy in Kansas!

    A good Tuesday to all on this last day of February! Yikes, time sure goes fast. See you next month. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It finally got sunny here - cooler but nice today.
      I know - new month tomorrow! It will come in like a lamb here - hmmmm. Tomorrow is supposed to be the best day of the week.
      See next month!!!!!!!

      Delete
  14. Great tips. I have been considering a Soda Stream and will look for one second hand.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They are kind of expensive new - but a second hand one is a great find. Hope you can find one. I really enjoy mine.

      Delete