Thursday, September 21, 2017

Fun Fall Recipes & Ideas

Tomorrow is the official start of fall here in the U.S. 
You would never know it, in my neck of the woods!  It is hot and humid, and will be for at least the next week.  We are reaching 90*  and the humidity is thick! 
Yesterday morning when I went out to feed the kitties, dew was actually dripping from the trees!!  That is something I have never seen before. 

I am sure there are places that are actually feeling like fall - and please note - I am NOT complaining.  It will be here quick enough and then winter will be at it's coat tails.  ICK!

There are certain things that just remind all of us that fall IS a lovely time of the year.  There are special smells, crisp air, beautiful colors, and there is even a different sound in the air.
We all have different foods that we fix and enjoy once the weather gets cooler.
Soups, stews, casseroles, baked goods, apples, pumpkins,  cider, and just about any comfort food.

Today I am going to list a couple fun recipes, mostly using what we would have on hand, that just scream fall in my opinion!


MOM'S SLOPPY JOES
1 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1/2 C onion, chopped
1/2 C celery, thinly sliced
1 1/2 C catsup
1/4 C brown sugar - packed
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. prepared mustard
salt & pepper to taste

Brown your ground meat along with the onion and celery.  Drain and set aside.  Mix the remaining ingredients, and add to beef mixture.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thoroughly warmed.  Serve on sandwich buns.
There's nothing like a good sloppy Joe and chips or home fries on a cool winter's evening to me.


HAM AND CHEESE CUPS
2 C self-rising flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 C mayonnaise
1 C milk
1/2 C cooked ham (I would think you could use pork, beef, chicken whatever you have)
1/2 C shredded cheese
Combine flour and baking soda, set aside.  Mix remaining ingredients together, and add to flour mixture.  Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full.  Bake at 425* for 16 - 18 minutes.  Makes about 12.
These are yummy for a quick breakfast, lunch, after school snack, or even with sides for dinner.  These would also be great on a buffet!


CHOCOLATE GRAVY
3/4 C water
1 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 C sugar
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. cocoa
Place water, butter and vanilla in a saucepan; bring to a boil.  Remove from heat; set aside.  Combine remaining ingredients together, and slowly whisk into the water mixture until thickened.  Serve warm.  Makes about one cup.
If you have never tried this - you are missing out!!!  It is a southern 'thing' here.
Drizzle over hot biscuits, pancakes, or waffles on a cold morning and all will be right with the world!!!


I am NOT a fan of eating pumpkin at all - but I DO love the scents that contain the fall 'pumpkiny' smell.  This is an easy-peasy, non-chemical air freshener to make your home smell lovely.
You can adjust it how ever you choose.  It is mainly things we probably all have on hand.

Here's a fun and easy craft project as well.  Use a nail and hammer and 'punch' faces into coffee tins or other tin cans and spray paint.  Add sand or gravel to the bottom - then add a votive candle.  No money crafts are fun.

I hope you can try and enjoy a couple of these.  I love having easy recipes that contain NO special ingredients that I have to go out and buy.  I can fix them whenever I want - ingredients all from the pantry/freezer.  Got to love no-spend meals!!!
ENJOY


11 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I've never had chocolate gravy before, thanks for the recipe.
    Something I will be trying out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie - oh my goodness is all I can say.
      It is yummy on hot biscuits and so very, very rich!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I like the smiling 'pumpkin' lights, looks easy enough to punch...printed out the chocolate recipe, will certainly give that one a try with a breakfast-for-dinner meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I don't think you will be disappointed! It's a great Sunday morning item as well on a cold winters day!
      The pumpkins are cute.
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness we are burning up too Cheryl! Tomatoes are ripening now ha ha. Your recipes sound delicious -I love chocolate gravy! Have a great day even if it is hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie I picked several that had ripened today as well.
      Hot or not - it's a good day!
      Have a good one yourself.

      Delete
  4. Yum! Thanks for the recipes! I live in VA, but I have never had chocolate gravy before.
    The pumpkins look so cute! I don't get the pumpkin spice food craze either; it is ok, but to me anything appley is my favorite. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I am more an apple person too.
      Give the gravy a try - it's a keeper!
      Have a good day.

      Delete
  5. It has turned very cold here and I am praying for a warm up. Actually wearing a heavy wool sweater right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send you some of our heat today. It is 93*, sunny, and super humid.
      I like sweater/sweatshirt weather - but I'm not quite ready for it.
      Keep warm!

      Delete
  6. Always inspiring my dear! Starting to feel better. I hope to get more done this week.
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete