We are still (enjoying) summer weather in our area. It has been in the 90's the last few days and very humid. That is supposed to come to an end mid week, and we are to get back to more seasonable temperatures. I am not sure to if I want to be happy or sad. I hate the extreme heat, but I also know winter comes right behind fall. I really do not like cold and ice!
Today is G's 62nd birthday. He catches up to me for a month or so! LOL I figured he would want dinner from the Outback, but he has decided he wants his special dinner to be Long John Silvers! We haven't had that for probably a good two years - so I guess it is worth the splurge.
The garden is still producing, which is wonderful. We have been utilizing fresh veggies a lot. Things are slowing down, but I think we still have a few weeks of goodies left out there.
My frugal week:
- Used the crockpot to make a big batch of Mexican chicken
- Harvesting broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, and cukes
- Been picking lots of cherry tomatoes from ALL the volunteer plants that have popped up all over. I have 5 plants that have come up in the past couple months and have gotten huge
- Made a run to the feed store and got a 2 months supply of squirrel/bird feed
- Froze extra Mex. chicken for a later meal
- Mowed the yard. Had to, even with the heat. I think I probably sweated off a couple pounds and got rid of lots of toxins!
- Line dried laundry
- Had to pick up G's meds at WM. I never shop there, but I walked into the freezer section while waiting (right next to pharmacy). I did purchase 8 cans (all they had) of orange juice concentrate for 1.23 a can. I have read that orange crop got seriously damaged in the hurricane, so prices will be going up.
- Went to a yard sale across the street on Friday. I got a 28 qt. tote (no lid), a 32 qt. tote w/lid, a half gallon Brita filter pitcher, and a brand new Cuisinart grilled sandwich maker ALL for $5!!!!! I dropped my 30+ year old sandwich maker a couple months ago and broke it - so a great find there.
- Worked on organizing more of the downstairs pantry. Also worked on getting all holiday gifts together - to see what I actually had. Trying to get more organized.
- Just working on fall cleaning
Meals this week:
Breaded pork burgers, red beans & rice (Aldi box), sliced tomatoes
Mexican chicken served over rice
Salad topped Mex. chicken burritos
Finger foods - summer sausage/cheese & crackers, garden fresh veggies and dip
Fried chicken and salad
Smoked sausage, steamed broccoli and tomatoes
Cheeseburgers, fried potatoes and tomatoes
Snacks - peach pie, ice cream
HOW WAS YOUR WEEK? DID YOU GET ANY FRUGAL DEALS?
I hope you all have a wonderful upcoming week. I wish you all health, happiness and a frugal life.
May the Lord help us all be content and happy with what we have, and to feel blessed.
God bless you all.