Sunday, September 17, 2017

Frugal Happenings 9/17

Good morning to all my frugal fiends.
Oh my goodness, we are half way through this month.  I just can't believe the holidays will be here before we know it.

We had really cool temps all week, until yesterday.  It looks like summer will be making a return this week - all week long.  Highs will be in the 80's, maybe even 90 this coming week.  We did get a little much needed rain earlier, and there is a small chance for the first part of the week.  Sure can't complain.

The hummingbirds may be moving on, after that cool snap we had.  I am not seeing them as much.  I keep the nectar fresh and will be for a few weeks, for those passing through on the way south.  I will miss my little flying jewels!

We  got up the other morning to find a dead opossum in the back yard.  Poor baby.  I think it may have had a tussle with the dogs across the alley.  It appeared to have a couple puncture wounds.  I am not sure if it was our Opie that we have had since it was a baby or not.  Seemed odd that it came here to die.  Apparently they only live 2 - 3 years, but I still hate seeing something hurt.  We still have a opossum in the yard once in a while at night since - so not sure if it lives here or is visiting.




This has been another quiet week.
Our frugal week:
  • Picked a pretty little bouquet from the yard.  Replaced roses in it, a couple times.  They smell so good.
  • Still harvesting garden.  I actually got a couple cucumbers off the new vines!  Love walking out back to get veggies.  My bell peppers are loaded still!  Lots of green tomatoes and still picking broccoli.  YUM
  • No A/C biggest part of the week.
  • Washing windows with vinegar/water and newspapers.
  • Took the top of the stove apart and cleaned.  Not totally done canning - but the stove was in need!  LOL  Love using vinegar and baking soda!
  • Doing lots of yard work - great exercise
  • I have been eating apples and peanut butter for lunch.  I love this time of year for the abundance of apples!
  • Left the property only twice all week - so not much fuel used.
  • I did a cat food run, trying to start building up cat food preps for the winter.  Two stores - but neither had as much stock or variety as I wanted.  Need to make a run to Rural King soon.
  • I ran over to the farm market yesterday looking for butter.  Store bought butter just seems to have NO taste to either of us.  Farm market doesn't sell due to all the govt. regulations on dairy.  I did buy a quart of local honey to have in stock.  I guess I will start making my own butter!
  • Line dried laundry
  • All the regular things we all do everyday!
I was amazed at the farm market yesterday at the prices of some things.  They were selling 9" fruit pies for $25!  Oh my.  They also had 9" savory (meat/veg) pies frozen for $40 each.  You had to bake at home.  People were buying them!!!!!!!!  Can I say a huge crap-ola?  WOW!
I think I stood there with my mouth open in a daze watching folks buy them for a good 10 minutes.  I can buy a whole lot of groceries for $40!  People never cease to amaze me.

Menu this past week:
Homemade pizza
Chicken strips, green beans & potatoes, sliced toms
Beef & rice enchiladas (2X)
Tuna salad sandwiches and chips
Creamy chicken/veggie linquine
Loaded baked potatoes

Nothing real exciting happening here.  Quiet and calm the way I like it.  I have so much I need to accomplish and I just don't seem to have the oomph I need!  I guess maybe it is the change of season/weather - I don't know.  I need to get my rump in gear and get  a lot of stuff done.
 
Oh, I did get a new great/great nephew this week!  His pictures are adorable and he is healthy.  Can't ask for more than that! 

How was your week?  What did you do to stay on the frugal bandwagon?
I look forward to hearing from you all.

May the Lord bless you in all ways. 

18 comments:

  1. Hi, No shopping for me last week. But this week I'll be replenishing some of my baking supplies getting ready for the holidays. I'm starting to see things for that on sale here.
    We are suppose to be getting rain today and for the next week. That makes the hunters happy!
    Really a welcome change for us since it's been so hot here this year.
    I am amazed at that about the pies. I guess people will pay anything for convenience. Either that or they just don't know how to make them, which is a sad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job on no shopping! It IS that time isn't it? Getting ready for the upcoming holiday baking and cooking. Where has the year gone?

      YAY rain!!!! You guys have been so hot, so dry, and so many fires - that lightens my heart for you all.

      I know on the pies. CRAZY! This is not an affluent area at all - so it really is surprising people have that kind of money. I guess it's a farm market - so anything goes! Not me!!!!!
      Have a great week!!

      Delete
  2. $25 dollar pies...I can't imagine. Those farm markets can be ridiculous sometimes! We had tuna sandwiches last week at the last minute (great minds think alike). It was so good to have a easy meal and feel like you ate something healthy. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie I was floored.
      Yes, I was going to have something different, and the day got away from me, and well that was easy and healthy!
      Have a good one.

      Delete
  3. I won't even go to the farmers market here. The prices are so ridiculous. Yes people will pay that for homemade things. I think I am in the wrong business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I thought. Shoot, I need to start a business of baking if people will pay those prices!
      I make a pretty mean pecan pie and my holiday spingerle cookies are pretty special around here. Only one place they can be purchased around the city. I could clean up!
      Have a great one.

      Delete
  4. Hi Cheryl, I'm guessing those pies were homemade and better quality then the frozen grocery store ones. Those prices are high but it might be cheaper for some families that eat at restaurants often to eat $65 worth of pies at home instead of a restaurant tab. A family of 4-6 could easily run up a $65 tab at the popular restaurants in my town. Crazy I know, but those restaurants are busy every evening.
    I really like the saying in the box abiotic drugstores etc. It's really true!
    Saving money- I've bought very few groceries in Sept. and don't plan to. I'm trying to use things that we've had awhile before I buy new stuff. It's truly saving $$$ for us too.
    Have a good week Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda it is amazing to me how families can afford to go out to eat with a few kids. Some folks do it several times a week. It sure is a lot of money. I just wonder what these folks do for a living!

      Good going on eating from the pantry/freezer. Isn't it amazing how much money you can save?
      Good job. Have a great one.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your great nephew! I just can hardly believe that people would pay that much for a pie! You seem to accomplish a lot to me! Have a good week! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. He sure is a cutie pie!
      I have so much I want to do - just not in the mood! Oh well, it will get done when it gets done.

      Blessings

      Delete
  6. Congratulations Great Aunty Cheryl on the arrival of your sweet package.
    This past week has seen tomato sauce(ketchup), tomato relish and sweet chilli jam being made from many kilos of tomatoes that Bluey got for free. Several gifts, made from what I had in my stash, have going into the gift cupboard. There are two sets of toddler pyjamas cut out on my sewing table, ready to be made up for the gift cupboard. Bluey picked up 3 whole chickens for $3. He also bought home two packages of 6 bread rolls and 2 loaves of bread for free. These have all been put into the freezer. Our Katie filled the cake tin with chocolate chip muffins with vanilla cream frosting, that she made. I made up 10L of laundry liquid and a large bottle of miracle cleaner spray. Bluey did the shopping, sticking to the list. I stayed at home, getting the spring cleaning finished and the tomatoes preserved. It's been a good week here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW I'm tired reading that! Bluey seems to be a great shopper! Great job.
      You will sure appreciate all those goodies in the months to come. Sounds like your gift pantry is filling up - there will be some lucky ones receiving those gifts.
      You did accomplish a lot this past week. Sounds wonderful.
      May this week be just as great!

      Delete
  7. Went shopping just today to replenish from Hurricane Irma. I envy you your hummingbirds and cool weather, lol. Did you find farm fresh butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on your restocking. I hope all is well for you and yours.
      No I didn't find the farm fresh butter - so I think I will be making my own.
      Have a blessed day.

      Delete
  8. I saw someone post somewhere...just 100 days to Christmas! I keep putting off to tomorrow what I should have done yesterday!

    Amazing on those prices and yes, my own mother used to pay that for the convenience, but not until after she was very old and unable to make her own for loss of stamina. She was frugal but not as frugal as you, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen = gee thanks for the reminder NOT!!!!! Same here, just keep putting things off.

      My mom made the best "meat" pie ever. It was like very thick stew with crust. When she made it for Sunday dinner, she always made a small one for us to bring home, as it was G's favorite thing she made.
      I make them now and then - but it isn't like hers!
      I think she would have starved before spending that kind of crazy money for something. She taught me well!! LOL

      I'll take that as a compliment!
      Have a great one.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you've had a good frugal week, Cheryl. That's great. We've also been having our a/c on less now, which will definitely save on the electric bill. I love this time of year for that.

    How neat that your garden is still producing at this time of year, usually things have burned up here by this time of year, but my Dad always tries to get his tomatoes to keep going and will wrap them in newspapers and try to get them to last well into January.

    I hope you have another good frugal week full of blessings, Cheryl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Belinda. Yes, it's nice having the garden still going. The tomato plants look the worse for wear, but they are still producing. We got some needed rain last night, so that should help too along with the hot temps this week.

      I hope you have a great week as well.

      Delete