Good news first: I got a note from Jane this morning and Bluey is home and slowing gaining his strength back. They still don't know exactly what happened (no stroke), but he passed out, aspirated, quit breathing, and was hospitalized - ended up with pneumonia. Scary stuff. I let her know they are still in our prayers.
My week went nothing like I anticipated - NOTHING! I went out Monday morning to run a couple errands, and as I started to back out of the drive, my brakes went out! Totally out! (Thank goodness I was not out on the roads). We had the Blazer towed to the mechanics and thought it would be a fairly quick fix. You know that saying about "the best laid plans"? Each day found another problem in that area. Oh my.
I didn't want to start anything that was involved - not knowing when they would call. I had appointments and errands that couldn't be done. Good deal was I was home all week - so no money spent! Bad news - it was Friday, late afternoon, before I got the vehicle back and almost $500 gone! YIKES!!
THIS my friends is exactly why we are frugal most of the time. Problem solved - paid cash - no debt. Blessed!
Unexpected problems can be devastating if we are not somewhat prepared.
The weather turned very cold this week. We had one day that the high was in the 30's! Friday set a record for coldest temperatures for that date in 67 years! All that after last Sunday being in the 70's with storms. Crazy weather for sure.
I got most of my errands run and things caught up on Saturday. I hustled for sure. I was exhausted at the end of the day - but I am back on track for the most part.
My frugal week:
- I made a big bowl of fruit salad with fresh and canned fruit. (home canned and store bought). Made for nice and healthy desserts.
- Dried more bread (.39 bread) for dressing
- Made up a new bottle of shampoo (shampoo, water and a bit of Listerine) - a new bottle of dish soap (water, soap, and vinegar), and a new bottle of 'Febreeze' like spray (liquid fabric softener and water) . Febreeze spray also works to cut static around the house.
- Did some soggy yard work early in week. Tried to get some leaves up - but it is a futile task at this point! Tons more to fall.
- Did quite a bit of mending
- Froze some leftover enchilada sauce (used some on burritos). Froze in cubes for easy use later.
- Watched several older Holiday Baking Championship shows. Love getting new ideas.
- I got a turkey for .49/lb. Found a 21 pounder!
- Also got several cans of 'cream of' soup to have on hand for convenience (when I don't have home made mix available) for .49 a can.
- Watched a few You Tube videos on being frugal and on off-grid living (so interesting)
- I stopped at an annual craft bazaar I always go to. Bought no crafts, but did buy a few things from the "grandma's closet" area. I got 4 lovely NEW placemats, 3 Christmas (Coca Cola) tumblers and 2 picture frames - ALL for $2.70!!!
Meals this week:
Chicken tetrazinni (homemade)
Deconstructed cabbage roll skillet
Burgers and cheese nachos
Chicken/rice/bean burritos - homemade
Fish sandwiches and oven fries
Jalapeno/pimento cheese sandwiches and chips
Loaded hot dogs
Remember that now is the time to add to the pantry - there are so many holiday specials, with some ridiculously low prices. Shop those lost leaders and get deals for yourself or to help others.
ALSO REMEMBER 6 weeks from tomorrow is Christmas!!!!!!
How can that be?
What was your week like - any good deals? Are you ready for Thanksgiving? How is your gift shopping/crafting going?
May you all be blessed with health, safety, and happiness in the coming week. God bless my friends.