Are you all ready for the events of the coming week? Can you believe it is already Thanksgiving? Just a few more weeks and Christmas and the year will be over. WOW
We have had an eventful weather week for sure. We had ONE really nice sunny day (busy day for me), but mostly it was gloomy and gray. Yesterday was an epic weather day - basically 3 seasons in one day! It started out in the mid 60's and rainy. We had 20-30 mph winds and gusts of 40-50 mph. Torrential rain at times and the temps started dropping. My late evening it was in the low 30's. Crazy! There were libs down all over the yard, and pretty much the rest of the leaves are now off the trees.
My frugal week:
- I colored my hair with supplies on hand (it was much needed - it had been 2 1/2 months!)
- I did laundry in cold water and 'line' dried most of the items in the basement
- I did get to do a bit of 'teenage' shopping this week - what a challenge that is!
- On the one great day we had - I got to mow and mulch and rake leaves. ALL leaves and mulch went out on the garden. However, now you can't tell I raked - I need to do it all again.
- Emptied the rain barrels and got them put away for the winter. I did save many gallons of rain water for house plants and hair care.
- I received 2 more coupons for FREE items at Bath & Body Works. I LOVE my postman - he leaves me coupons that would go to the empty houses!
- I received a coupon for $5/$25 at Sav-A-Lot. Good till the end of the month.
- Turkey is out for thawing
- Pulled together all my pantry items for Thanksgiving day and they are all out an waiting to be used.
- Totally cleaned out and condensed items in frig.
- G had his home doctor visit - good for another 3 months!
- Been cleaning and de-cluttering
- Made pudding with some milk that is in need of being used
- Have FREE Cinemax and HBO this weekend, so we have been DVRing many movies for later viewing.
Ground pork burgers and spicy mac n cheese
Reversed Shepherd Pie (mashed on bottom)
Tuna noodle casserole and salad
Pork chops and dirty rice
Chinese (not frugal - but have enough for dinner tonight as well)
I am ready for all the Thanksgiving festivities. I have everything I need - most just came from the pantry. I am not sure how many we will have for dinner - but a couple either way won't matter a bit. There will be plenty of food to go around. I do know we have a couple friends coming that day. They really have no family to speak of, so that is what we are! Family isn't always blood.
I do believe that I may go to Kroger this week and get another turkey for the future. They now have them advertised in our paper for .38/lb. with $20 purchase (that isn't hard to do). I may get supplies with that $20 for one of the friends that is coming. She is in a real tight spot - so anything I get her would be appreciated. I think I'll get a lot of basics - she is alone, so doesn't do a lot of cooking.
I sincerely doubt that I will go shopping on Black Friday - too many people. (I will probably do yard work). I may do some on-line shopping, and I will be scouring the adds that came in todays paper. For those outside the U.S., Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving and is considered one of the biggest and best (price wise) shopping days of the year. Supposedly it is the turning point for retailers to start making a profit!
I try to make most of my gifts and to shop smaller mom and pop shops. I hate making those giant retailers richer!
How was your week? Are you ready for turkey day? Did you add to your pantry or gift collection this week?
I will post again before Thanksgiving, but in case you don't visit before then, please know that G and I wish you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving Day.
May the Lord bless you and your families. Be kind, be thoughtful, and bless someone less fortunate this week.
Blessings from our home to yours!