We have had taste or two of spring this week, then we came back to reality. It is now back to normal temps and we woke to a spitting of snow/rain this morning. Temp was at 33*, so it couldn't really decide what it wanted to do. This week should be normal for February temperatures in the 30's.
Despite the crazy lore of the Groundhog's predictions - spring will get here when spring gets here! I'd feel safe in saying we have 6 - 8 weeks of up and down winter days yet ahead of us. It won't be long!
It's been quiet again around our little home. I left the property one day only this week. I just feel safer staying home with all the flu that is going around. You never know who has sneezed on, coughed on, and who knows what on things! I am anal about taking wipes with me, to wipe down my shopping cart. We touch things at the store (consider every package and can) that can hold germs and forget about eating out. I do not trust restaurants and their employees at all to be as sanitary as they need to be during this epidemic.
People are passing away daily - and many times it isn't just the elderly and young that they keep saying are at risk. It is all ages ranges. There have about 150 die in our state so far.
Better safe than sorry - that's my motto!
Enjoying watching the squirrels and birdies. We have a heated bird bath (just enough to prevent freezing) and the birds love it! I don't see them use that bird bath often in warmer weather (turned off then), but on the coldest days they swarm to it and take baths and drink!! It is so funny. You 'd think they wouldn't want to get wet when it is so cold - but they bathe, flutter their wings and fly away. It is probably their only source of non-frozen water around. Cute and smart!
My Frugal Week:
- Clean, clean and more clean and de-clutter
- Cooled tea outdoors before placing in frig.
- Washed several baggies this week
- Cooked up a lot of older apples and pears (not ones bought in Jan.) with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Mmmmm
- Made a batch of sugar cookies from dough I had in freezer. Did some with M & M's, some with Kisses and some with a sugar glaze.
- G did our taxes this week. Both State and Fed. we owe a total of less than $200. YAY - the least we have owed in ages. Will send them in later.
- Been drinking lots of lemon water this week. A new favorite thing for me. So clean and refreshing tasting
- G has been utilizing Netflix A LOT lately!
- My outing - ran to Kroger Friday. Even when I need nothing, it gets me out and I can always get cat litter. I try to keep over a months worth on hand at all times. Needed NO weekly groceries.
- I did find 2 big boxes of frosted flakes on clearance for 1.39 a box! Not a usual buy, but heck they could work as a sweet snack too.
- I also found a big box of Free & Clear fabric softener sheets. They were 200 for 4.29. I don't use often - but there is always a need once in a while in the winter. Years ago I found 40 count boxes at Dol. Tree for $1 and stocked up (now on last box). I couldn't find free & clear many places. Well I think my 200 count box was a much better deal! It will last me several years!
Meals this past week:
Cheesy potato soup (2X)
Quiche/frittata with lots of veggies
Un-stuffed pepper skillet
Leftover pepper skillet, steak burgers and side salad
Smoked sausage, Kraut (home canned) and mashed potatoes
Chili/cheese topped home fries
Ice cream with warm cooked apples/pears a couple times (so good). Cookies
How was your week? Any good deals or pantry prepping?
This coming week, I really intend to get downstairs and mend and sew a little. Well, I intend that every week - LOL. I am going to make a greater effort this week.
I hope you are all staying healthy. May God bless you and comfort you in this coming week.
God bless from our home to yours.