I seemed to get quite a bit done, but also spent a chunk of change as well! Glad I had it to spend - sometimes necessary spending can be costly.
Woke to a lovely morning. It has been pretty darn warm this week. Currently AC is off and has been for a couple days. We have been as high as 90* for highs and down to low 70's for highs. Threatened rain all week, finally came in yesterday and will have more today. It is needed. Could just do without storms!
April was one of the coldest Aprils on record, and May is now going down in record books as one of the hottest! Crazy. May is supposed to be our wettest month - but not so far.
My frugal week:
- I went Monday and got new tires for the Blazer. Choke, choke!!!!! I can't really complain though - it's only the second time we have bought tires in 16 years. I did get them for $50 less than my quote in March. At least they are safe now.
- I got a $20 used tire for the truck.
- We have 2 people interested in the truck - one being the tire shop!
- Made some homemade tartar sauce
- Ran to the greenhouse and got most plants/garden stuff I need
- Made up 8 hanging baskets/planters
- Made a new bird feeder of sorts. I had an empty hanging basket (had dirt in it) and I added a tin pan with drainage holes and hung. The birds are loving it, and it keeps more birds off the ground (away from kitties)
- I kept several cat food and food cans (clean) from the recycle, and used them in the bottom of a couple planters as fill - not as much dirt needed (also good drainage)
- Got the rain barrels out and set up
- Lot's of yard work done and yard mowed
- Line dried laundry
- Picked 3 bouquets of peonies for around the house. I sure love them. Hope to be able enjoy bouquets for another week or two
- Repaired my garden hose with a new female connector that we had on hand. Changed out the Y connector for hoses at hose. No leaks!
- Ran to Kroger on Friday to look for clearance - not a lot to be had. I did get 2 bags of Folgers vanilla flavored coffee (as a treat for G) on clearance for 2.59 bag. I also got 5 jars of Newman's Own salsa con queso cheese sauce on closeout for 1.20 each (nice for an easy treat/meal add-in). I did buy some sour cream and on the vine tomatoes (blah) for .99/lb.
- I went on Friday and used a coupon for double fuel points. They are offering that on weekends for a while this summer - thank goodness - gas prices have sky rocketed.
- Used leftover spaghetti sauce in another dish along with some cottage cheese that needed to be used.
- Saved another shaker lid from Parmesan cheese container
- Got about half of the garden stuff planted. My mission is to get it all done this coming week.
My meals this past week:
Loaded burgers and seasoned fries
Fish sandwiches and baked beans
Hominy/pepper/beef skillet dinner
Tuna salad sandwiches and fresh veggies
Spaghetti & meatballs
Lasagna and side salad (2X)
I hope to get the garden all finished this coming week, trim all the bushes out back, and just accomplish a lot more yard work. It never ends!
What was your week like? Did you get any good deals? How are the gardens coming along?
Give us a shout and let us know what is going on in your area of this glorious land.
Welcome - come and sit a while!