Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Walk with me!

I have been busy the past few days.  Summer always brings a new set of projects to handle.  I hope to get the garden in sometime in the next week.  I am not worried about it being late - daddy always said nothing really ever really grew and produced before the end of May.  I think it depends on where you live.
Today I am going to take you on a walk-about - nothing real exciting - but our little homestead is coming back to life.
Walk with me!!!!

Poppies - originally from plants older than me


   Columbines started out with one color - have developed into two colors of purple.

Just a swinging!!!!!  Mr. Squirrel thinks the seed for the birds is his!  Crazy acrobat. (Click on picture to enlarge)
Baby bunches of grapes are starting!


                                     Rhubarb getting some growth - it won't be long now!

Tiger lilies and phlox are really growing.  Love the blooms of both.
 
Peonies are loaded with buds.  They will be blooming in a week or so.  One of my favorites - wish they lasted longer.

Chives have bloomed out.  This bunch of chives has come back for years.
 
Millions of maple whirly-gigs on the ground!!!!  Oh my, they are every where. The squirrels DO like eating the 'seeds' in them.  LOL 

A cheap hanging basket I found last week - hummingbirds should like it!
 
I will give you a better tour as baskets get planted, peonies bloom, and the garden is growing. I love this time of year, when everything is in re-birth. 
Each day as I walk around the yard or look out the windows - I am reminded of the miracles of God.  Beauty is absolutely every where, and everything 'knows' just what to do and when to do it. 
Amazing!!!!!
 
Blessings to you all.
 


            

14 comments:

  1. Good morning, Flowers are looking good!. My chives look like yours. Do you use the flowers or just pick them off?
    We are working on getting our garden in this week and B is going to build me an herb box.
    I bought some cabbage plants, do you have any advice on growing them? I've never grown them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Laurie. I don't use the flowers, I just pick them off when they die. I think they are pretty!
      How cool, on getting an herb box. YAY! I have a few herbs that I do in pots.

      Cabbage is very easy as far as I am concerned. I plant it, keep it watered and watch it grow! I dust with DE if I see signs of worms, but that is all.
      REMEMBER when you harvest it - cut the cabbage from the plant - DO NOT pull it up! You will continue to get small heads up until freeze takes place. I love those, because they are usually just the right size to add to a meal.
      Have a great day!!!!

      Delete
  2. I love to be outside and your yard looks so nice. Everyday is an adventure this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We are suburbs, but this is our little piece of heaven/country.
      Things sure do change daily!

      Delete
  3. Your gardens look lovely! Columbines are some of my favorite flowers and I try to add a new variety every year. Three of my plants are in bloom right now with more to follow soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There are so any colors of Columbines. My friend that gave me my starts had many different ones. Many wouldn't last over the summer, but she always tried!
      They are so elegant looking!

      Delete
  4. I have a Columbine that is blooming right now, as well. I just love them. This is one that I hauled here from my old property, and it is still in a pot from the old house. I probably need to add more dirt, fertilize or get it in the ground, since it's been a couple of years, but it's amazing me with a whole bunch of beautiful blooms anyway, despite my neglect.

    I enjoyed your "walk."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems some plants are so resilient! Better get that baby planted!
      Thanks for coming along.

      Delete
  5. I love that you have grapes. I put in a few plants and added three more this year, but not Concord! Flame is a red eating grape, Canadice, and two other kinds I have to look at the tag.

    How do you prop them up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to take a picture for you later. It is kind of like a trellis/gazebo looking thing we made. Very sturdy. They have been out there for many years. I have Concord and Catawba. Both very sweet.
      I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
    2. sturdy is good, I look at backyards to see how others did them and most are falling down after ten years...and I need to go up and not out for space reasons...I have six plants in a 4 x 8 bed, sort of tight I know, but I want them to go up and cover the top and then the grapes will hang down for picking...at least I hope!

      Delete
    3. That is what I have done. We have 4 x 4 at corners (treated) and then did a lattice of sorts on sides and top. Mine grow up and through the arbor. It is quite nice. Mine is at least 15 - 18 years old and no signs of rot yet. I'll get a picture up soon.

      Delete