Sunday, May 31, 2020

Weekly Wrap-Up 5/31

Happy Sunday to you all.  Hope you have had a great week.
Memorial Day weekend was pretty uneventful.  I just worked in the yard and garden.  The neighborhood was pretty darn quiet as well.
It is crazy to think today is the end of May.  My goodness.
The weekly weather has been pretty darn good.  We had many warm/hot days.  Rain.  And now super pleasant days for a while.  It is in the 70's and going to stay that way for a couple days until warming up again and more rain/storms and humidity by mid week.

My week:
  • Monday I went out back and got all the bushes trimmed up - 5 big ones
  • My first peonies of the season started opening last weekend.  I have picked many bouquets for the house this week.  Oh how I love the smell.
  • Dog sat 2 days this week
  • Got all the garden planted!!  2 kinds of cukes, 3 kinds of tomatoes (well 4 counting cherry), zucchini and bell peppers.  I already had onion, lettuce and spinach growing.  I planted cucumber seeds on Wednesday and Saturday they were already above ground!!!
  • Haven't had to water anything this week - as we have had enough rain
  • Got to turn AC off and I am enjoying cool breezes coming in windows
  • My neighbor bought me 3 tomatoes at the farm market - my they are tasty
  • I had to change out lightbulb in kitchen ceiling light.  WHY do I mention this???  Well, if you have a light attached to a fan - you know.  Take down the globe and clean inside and out.  Then all the fan blades need thoroughly cleaned.  Then you have to clean the base as there are cobwebs.  Then you see cobwebs on the ceiling.  Changing a light bulb was a 45 minute job!!!!!!!  LOL
  • Used dehumidifier water in the laundry again
  • UGH - dropped my cell phone in the toilet!!!!! (It WAS clean).  I grabbed it quickly, dried off all I could and then covered it in a bowl of rice.  Thank goodness it all worked.  Saved it!
  • I ran to Kroger on Friday - mainly just because I wanted to do something other than work in the yard!  I got more bananas and some oranges,  and cat food and I found a few deals.
Cauliflower was .99 markdown.  Seasoned mixed greens were .89 a can (big cans) I got 4.  Fire roasted corn - .99 each I got 2.  Bounce  (80 count free & clear) 1.99.  These will work great for over the winter and will last ages.  I cut in thirds WHEN I use them.  ALL items were in clearance section and I got what was left.

Green beans "chips" on clearance for .99 and nacho flavored corn nuts clearance at .49!  Make for tasty snacks.
  • Mowed the grass front to back and did a huge trim job out back.  I really worked on trimming all areas - some hadn't been done this spring.  Still need to do a big trim out front - I need to edge the walks and drive
My meals this week:
Cheeseburger and cauliflower salad (both leftover from night before)
Fried tuna patties and salad
Small pizza (freezer) loaded with everything I had on hand!  
Made myself a plated chef salad
Goulash (from freezer) over corn chips and topped with cheese
Club sandwich and chips
Chopped steak and broc./caul./carrot salad
Plated chef salad - tasty!

How is everyone doing?  What have you been up to?  It seems yard and garden work are on many peoples agendas.  
Do you have big plans for the coming week?

I pray you are all SAFE and HEALTHY.  May your upcoming week be blessed beyond measure.
Go out and smile and be kind - and make someone's day.  YOU can make a difference.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.

16 comments:

  1. Your spur of the moment trip to the store netted you some great deals!
    Yes, gardening/yard work is on-going here too. BTW, I'd love to see photos of your yard. :)

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did get a few deals. It makes life seem almost normal! I will post some of the yard soon!
      Take care

      Delete
  2. I also got the yard mowed and trimmed. We've had a ton of rain here in SC, with that tropical storm passing by, so it was definitely in need of a haircut! I thinned out my squash bed and moved two tomato plants that weren't thriving in containers until an open area I had in a bed. Saved the ends if three romaine lettuce heads and started them again on the window sill last weekend. They got moved into pots on the back patio today. Had shrimp this past week and dried the shells and worked them into the garden beds for nitrogen.

    Nichole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain sure makes stuff grow but it also makes it hard to mow.
      Good on moving the plants - the more the better. It sure will save you money in the long run.
      I love re-growing lettuce - it makes it seem like a science project!!!!
      Good idea on using the shrimp shells.
      Have a great week!!!!

      Delete
  3. I love how you stay so busy and all the things that you do. It keeps me positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is all I have to do! Keeping me busy keeps my mind busy. Work sure does go on.
      Have a good week.

      Delete
  4. Nothing major going on at my house. I'm actually having a rather lazy day for me... made some soup from leftovers, read, knit, listened to a sermon, and went for a drive with hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an incredibly wonderful day!!!!
      Blessings

      Delete
  5. Good for you for getting the rest of your garden planted! We've been eating spinach and strawberries from my garden this week. The peas are blooming, and my store-bought cherry tomato plants have tiny tomatoes. The teeny-tiny grape tomato plants that I grew from seed are starting to grow, as are the pepper plants I grew from seeds from a purchased yellow pepper. I can just about watch the cucumber plants grow! It's very chilly and windy today, but will be back into the 80s later this week.
    I haven't given a 20 in 20 challenge update lately because I have quit keeping track. Between the gardening, walking to get the mail, mowing, etc., I am exercising almost every day. Husband does more formal exercise and has exercised 120 out of the last 121 days!
    This is my grocery shopping week. I hope I find some good bargains like you did.
    Hope everyone has a safe and frugal week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think stuff happened and we all kind of quit with our updates on the 20/20 challenge. I am still de-cluttering and using things I have and trying not to spend a lot of money.
      Good luck at the store!!!!
      Have a great week

      Delete
  6. Just checking in. I'm still here. Still putting my sewing room together and doing a little bit of baking, cinnamon rolls and some lemon bread. Also used up some potatoes and made scalloped potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy girl. You can come work on my sewing room when done! LOL
      Lemon bread sounds yummy and so do scalloped potatoes. YUM
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  7. I always enjoy reading about all the things you accomplish! Whew, I am worn out! Since I fell in our driveway a few weeks ago, all I have done is try to heal and look at all I need to do...ugh... The Urban Farmer aka husband, has been planting the garden and hauling things around for me. It occurred to me that we are sorta-kinda neighbors. I live on the west side of Indy, almost to Avon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - oh my goodness on the fall. Hope you are healing up. That is awful - dang I hate when that happens and for me it seems more often than not. Of course I have always been a major clutz!!!!!
      Glad hubs is getting the garden in - we have had so much cold and rain, it has been hard to do.

      I know where that is!!! (Ooooo - spooky bridge!!) A few blocks from Garfield Park for me.
      It is neat to see how many are so close.
      Take care and heal quickly!

      Delete
  8. We had a lot of rain last week, but it makes the mornings cool, which I like. I sit outside on the porch in the morning feeding and loving on the cats and the cool weather feels good. Congratulations on getting your garden planted. You'll have delicious vegetables before you know it. I'm glad you were able to save your cell phone. One of the teachers at school dropped hers in the toilet too. It's an easy thing to happen. I hope you have a great week, Cheryl. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cool mornings sure are blissful! It could stay this way all year in my opinion.
      That first tomato always tastes so good!!
      Have a good one.

      Delete