I ask that each of you - whether in America or abroad - take a moment to say a prayer and be thankful for all the men and women who have given ALL for your freedoms. So many have unselfishly given the ultimate sacrifice. Just a prayer for them and their families.
Well the temps have finally hit the unofficial summer as well!! We have had a full range of weather this week. It went from feeling like March to feeling like July in a couple days! Crazy. Yesterday we had an afternoon storm come through here and it was awful! You could not see the house across the road it was raining so hard and wind, wind, wind. I have a lake in the backyard again!
I have had a gazillion of those whirly gigs that fall off the maples every where. You can mow and then the yard is covered in a hour or so. Finally they have about run their course and now the tulip tree is releasing it's flowers all over the place! They are every where.
It sure feels like anything but a holiday weekend in our area. My county (the state capital) still is not fully open. Can't go in a restaurant (outside only), no getting your hair done yet, many small businesses still closed, limited church, and not much going in the way of family gatherings.
NO 500 MILE RACE! First time in my life - that it isn't happening on the holiday weekend. Yes, it has been rained on before and stretched over a few days - but not since WWII has it not happened. It is rescheduled for August. So no parades, no special town parties, no running relays, nothing special. It sure is different.
We each make our days special. Make your day or weekend what you want it to be. We woke up today - so the day is indeed special.
- Well, I have 110 gallons of water in the rain barrels - IF I ever need it!!!! LOL Chances of rain every day for the next week! Good grief I could have had 5X that if I had more barrels.
- I have used the dehumidifier water in the laundry twice this week
- Cut my hair
- I made a run to the drive up at the bank this week and then went to the greenhouse for plants
- I got some veggie plants and flowers.
- I made up planters and hanging pots with flowers. I did a total of 12 and only used about $35 worth of flowers. Planters and hanging baskets at the greenhouse were selling for $25 and $30+ each - so I saved a small fortune!!!!!
- I have pulled so many stinking weeds. They just keep growing!!!!! All the rain sure isn't helping my efforts. I pulled and pulled and pulled some more! (oh my aching back)
- I got the garden area all mowed off again and tilled. It hasn't been tilled since 2018 spring - so it was a JOB! I worked tilling and tilling one day and then raked and tilled more. Next day I added all the wood ash I had and then tilled and raked again. It looks good - just can't get to it to plant!!!!!!!!!!! It is flooded all around it at the moment. SIGH!!!
- I am dog sitting the neighbors dog again this weekend. He stays home - I just go let him out and feed, water and play with him.
- Made up a bowl a cauliflower salad using what I had on hand. Enough for a few days
- My brother brought me 2 cherry tomato plants he grew in his greenhouse. (The first I saw any family in person since 2/29!)
- I have made smoothies/shakes a few times this week as a treat
- Replaced my garden flag and mailbox cover with summer and patriotic ones
- No grocery shopping at all this week
- Did get all the yard mowed and partially trimmed before the downpour yesterday
- No AC yet! Will probably happen later today for a bit - it will be hot and humid later. Used heat one morning this week.
- Windows open and ceilings fans - loving the fresh air (except for the sneezing/allergies)
My menu this past week:
Cube steak, steamed cauliflower/carrots with cheese sauce
Tamale pie (from freezer) and leftover veggies and cheese sauce
Parmesan pasta with peas and chicken tenders
Chicken and fresh veggie roll-up (used extra chicken tenders)
Tortilla chips with melted cheese and salsa -- I was too tired to cook anything
Egg/veg/meat omelet round on bagel
Cheeseburger and cauliflower salad
Parmesan pasta with peas and chicken tenders
My omelet round on bagel. It sure was yummy. Egg, bell pepper, onion, diced jalapeno beef stick. It was bigger than the bagel - so I cut to fit and then just ate the rest as is.
How was your week? Were you able to save any money? I think it is easier to do now that most people are staying close to home! (Unless shopping on-line - EEK).
Do you have big plans for the coming week?
Stop by and say hello and let us know what is going on around your home.
I hope you all stay safe and healthy. If you are getting with family for a special day/celebration - stay safe BUT have fun!!!!
Blessings to you all from my humble little home to yours.