We started out chilly and have warmed up a lot. Rain and stormy days and even got hail. I have taken advantage of dry days to get out and work outside.
I think my hummingbirds I saw last weekend were scouts - they were here for a few days then gone. Usually my regulars show up around June 1st. There are no real flowers around at the moment for them to enjoy - so once I get flowers around that will help as well.
I may have a new 'house guest'. Blackie cat - a neighborhood stray - seems to think this place is pretty nice to hangout! Momma and Fluffy are tolerating (better each day) and he thinks they are great. He has finally gotten to the point I can pet him. He is a big cat, but sounds like a kitten! That cry is so sweet. He eats here and hangs out most of the time. I even found him napping in the greenhouse one day! He likes hanging out on the deck where the greenhouse is. Yep, I do believe he has a new home!!
I ran out this week to the grocery. Everything was pretty much back to normal as far as stock. They had lots of everything. I did not go down the paper aisle (didn't need anything) - so I didn't even notice that stock. Plenty of fresh fruit and veggies - meat - milk - eggs - cheese - frozen goods, etc. The only thing that seemed a bit low was dry cat food and boxed mac n cheese! Plenty of pasta - just not a lot of the mixes. I don't buy - it just seemed odd to see.
- No heat or AC most of the week. Windows open and ceiling fans going
- I received 2 bonus coupon GC's from our local hardware. One is for $5 off $5 purchase and one for $5 off $25. Might be a good time to get some more furnace filters!!!!
- Both rain barrels are about full
- Started washing the cat's warm bedding from the greenhouse - they don't need the warm stuff now
- Mowed and trimmed the entire yard
- Have pulled LOTS of weeds from flower beds and from between pavers down the back walk.
- Did a really good vacuum. I have to admit the past few months I have not done that weekly. It is me and kitty - he stays in and I don't wear shoes in the house. No company - so I just don't vacuum as often. Bad me!!!
- Saved a square gallon ice cream tub (to use for storage) and an empty spice jar
- Got some deals at the store - Fresh head of cauliflower and 2 big bell peppers for .99 (clearance), a dozen jumbo eggs for .79, 6 large bagels $1 and a 10 oz. bag of stir fry veggies for $1. I also got some strawberries on sale for 1.88 for 2lb., bananas, more cat food (always add), milk, cheese (always add) orange juice and ice cream. I got my neighbor some strawberries as well.
There are still deals that can be had. You just have to pay attention. I am now good with fresh groceries for a while again.
I did purchase 2 cans of pre-made taco meat on clearance as well. I had never seen that before. It says a can makes 7 tacos. 2 cans was all they had and was 1.49 each. Figured it was worth having another canned meat item on the shelf. Can always mix with something!
I noticed everyone stayed their distance at the store and most had on masks. Not much need to wear make up when going out - no one sees your face! SO I made up my eyes and put on earrings to fill a bit dressier!!!! LOL
Meals this past week:
Fried chicken tenders and mac n cheese with broccoli added
Roasted potatoes, smoked sausage and coleslaw
Tuna salad sandwich and side salad
Fried cabbage with diced potatoes and smoked sausage (I made a pig of myself!)
Quesadilla - beef, rice, cheese and salsa
Stir fry veggies with chicken over rice
Bologna sandwich with cheese, tomato and lettuce and ranch chips (a favorite summer sandwich)
One potato diced and fried, added about 1/3 of a small head of cabbage (found in frig from March) and one individual size sausage cut up. OH MY GOODNESS this was so good! I ate ever bit of it!!!! I seasoned with a bit of soy sauce.
So how has your week been? Are you getting warmer weather and being able to plant?
Has anyone ventured into the stores yet (we are still on partial shut-down in my city). Only certain places are open here until at least next week or later.
Did you do anything frugal this week?
Give us a shout out.
Stay safe and healthy. Appreciate each and every day and moment to the fullest.
Blessings from my humble little home to yours.