Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Random Tips From Me to You

Just some odd and ends today.  Going to talk about things I do that just make my life a little easier and saves a little money along the way.
I hope that maybe you find a tip or two that you can use!

LAUNDRY
Like a lot of people, my washer and drier are downstairs in the basement.  Nothing worse than lugging a basket of clothes down to launder.  Coming back up is a bit easier, as I have things on hangers and bring up smaller piles!

FIRST - I use a big pillow case and stuff all the laundry in it (from my hamper upstairs).  I then drop/toss it down the stairs!!!!  YES, I do.  It sure makes life easier and it is less dangerous than walking down those steps with a big basket, and not being able to see the steps.
My theory is work smarter not harder!!!!!!  Got to take care of these older bones!!!!!!  LOL

**I only use HALF or less of the detergent called for.  It works quite well and saves money and saves from build up on clothes.
**I use vinegar in the rinse water for softening.  It really does work.  It helps remove all the build-up of detergent left on clothing and it helps with static.  NO it doesn't smell after clothes are dry.
**I use hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach for whitening.  It is natural and I don't have extra chemicals in the laundry or the house.
**In my closet - I always return empty hangers (after getting my daily clothes) to the closet and I place them in one spot and they are all facing the same direction.  I can just grab them up and take them downstairs when ready to do laundry.


NEED CRUNCH?
Need croutons and you are out?  No stale bread to make any?  I like to pan roast some chickpeas/garbanzo beans.  A little butter in a pan, a can of drained beans and some seasoning - makes for some delightful and healthy salad toppers!  I like to add them to Chinese dishes as well for a bit of crunch (when no water chestnuts are on hand).
They are also a fantastic snack when roasted in the oven (dehydrated) until super crunchy.  I can't stop eating them when I do this.
Chow mein noodles are also good on top of salad.
Great way to keep things healthy!!!
Little alternatives can be fun and cost saving.


PAINT
Paint can brighten up anything and just refresh it.  I think we all get into a mood for something different or brighter.  A little paint can do the trick.  It doesn't cost a fortune and the result pays big dividends.
Paint the front door a new color.  Paint an accent wall in the house.  Paint some picture frames - the same or contrasting colors.  Paint up flower boxes or pots.  Paint shutters a different color.  Paint the glider or porch swing or those lawn chairs.  Paint your yard art.  Have fun - and get whimsical - make yourself SMILE!
The 'rock' has been around here for years - so I just got out the spray paint.  I could have done the lettering a bit better - but most people don't see it up close but at a distance.  
The wrought iron chair was brought home years ago (by hubs) from the trash.  It was white at the time and stayed that way for ages.  Then I painted and finally it was peeling again.  I sanded and metal brush scrubbed it to get all peeling paint off - then I made it a chair of many colors!!!!  I love spray paint!  The picture doesn't really show the brightness of it.  I did it to brighten the back yard and just for fun.  (see the squirrel eating underneath it?)
This just makes me smile when I look out back (especially if there is a squirrel or a cat sitting on it).  It may not be for everyone - but I LOVE IT!
You can PAINT anything and change it up!


USING IT UP
You all know I make up bottles of shampoo and water.  I squeeze shampoo from the store bottle into an old dish soap squirt bottle (smaller) and then add water to dilute.  I love it that way - as I get better suds and I use less detergent on my hair.  I do this with dish soap, hand soap - you name it.
Well, I buy Suave and the bottles of shampoo are not easy to get the lids off of.  When I have squirted all I can out - I squeeze I on  the bottle and turn it upside down (open) in some water in the sink and then release the squeeze.  The bottle sucks up water!!!!  I shake it well and then empty it back into the new bottle.  That is a great way to get out all that extra soap/shampoo without cutting the bottle or prying off the lid.
I hope that description makes sense!!!!!


OLD PICKLES
Ever open a jar of pickles - especially home canned ones - that are limp and soggy?  I have.  I don't like to waste anything.  I will squeeze as much excess juice from the pickle and then soak up any dampness left with a towel and then dehydrate them!  Once dry I place them in the blender or grinder and pulverize into a powder.  That powder is great for seasoning sour cream or cream cheese and making a great dip.  It is also good to add a bit to salads to brighten them up.

The JUICE - well I drink the dill juice.  I love it and it is also good for Restless Leg and believe it or not it helps with heartburn.
I love mixing dill pickle juice with tomato juice - it really makes it zippy and tasty!  Used to add to Bloody Mary's (when I drank them) as well as a dill pickle spear.  Oh my!!!!
Sweet or dill juice can be used in salads or added to dressing, can be used as a meat marinade (vinegar really tenderizes), make pickled eggs or refrigerator pickles or veggies.  I like to fill an empty jar with cut up cucumbers or cauliflower pieces, radish, baby carrots, etc.  I heat the brine/juice till scalding and then pour over the veggies.  Once cool - refrigerate for a week or so and BOOM you have pickled veggies!


GARDEN
I believe some of you may grow okra.  It can go from a perfect size to pick to HUGE over night.  Once it has gotten too big it is tough.  Again, not wanting to waste anything - I cut up those big ones and dehydrate them.  Then I grind them up.  This makes the best soup/stew thickener and it is 100% natural.  (no - no slime).  Keep in an airtight jar.


So there you have a few tips for your day.  Maybe this will give you an idea of how to stretch things just a little.  No one likes to throw out anything or waste money (especially in these days) and we all like to find news ways.
ENJOY and have a good day!

WASTE NOT WANT NOT

28 comments:

  1. I learned a lot from you today..you are so smart. Thanks for the tips. Blessings, Sharon D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my - I don't know about smart - just frugal!
      Thanks for being here!!

      Delete
  2. Love your chair of many colors!
    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed at your description of your laundry chute (the stairwell). My mom did that too, except without the pillowcase. It was Dad's job to pick them up at the bottom of the stairs and take them to to the laundry room. If he wasn't around she'd bump her way down the stairs on her bum as she worried about falling for good reason. Either Dad brought them up or she'd put the basket on her lap and bump her way up.

    I had never thought to keep the juice from sweet or dill pickles but I will now! Great ideas all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck, you got to get the stuff down the stairs the best way possible. I used to toss them down until I thought about the pillow case. Now they all stay together!
      Love me some pickle juice. It never gets thrown away here.
      Thanks

      Delete
  4. For years, I tried many recipes trying to recreate my grandmother's german red cabbage recipe. My mother finally told me that the secret was sweet pickle juice. Just saute the shredded cabbage in butter, add the pickle juice and let simmer for a while. Smells up the house so I set up a TV tray with my electric skillet in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - yum. Now I am going to have to try that. That sounds so good. Thanks.
      Mom always used a bit of dill juice in German potato salad instead of vinegar. Love it!

      Delete
  5. I like your painted rock very much!

    Dill pickle juice is good to marinate chicken in before oven frying it. It tastes sort of like ChicFilA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUM - I will try that one too. Such a versatile liquid!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Love all the ideas. Something I do is save all the
    Crumbs in the bottom of salty snack bags (cheezits, I'm looking at you!) to sprinkle on salads.
    The crunch, flavor, and slight saltiness is a fun
    Addition to my salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that idea. I save and use them for like 'shake & bake' coating. I keep sweet ones for pudding and ice cream! Yummo.
      I have found more people who are in love with Cheezits - me too!
      Thanks

      Delete
  7. Wow what good advice, I also do some of these things. My Lil sis who always lived with a very, very high income, had to learn to live like the rest of us after her divorce and the 2008 recession. I taught her about spray paint and she is always spray painting something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spray paint is our friend. I love it.
      Sometimes we get a big dose of reality to learn frugal things!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the great tips! Love your painted rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are trying okra for the first time this year. I've never even eaten one bite of okra in my whole life, much less grown any. But my husband wanted to try, and he purchased and planted and grew the seedlings, so the least I can do is try to grow it! I'm glad to know it should be picked small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love fried okra! It is quite tasty. It is also very good in gumbo and soups.
      Do NOT be put off by its gooey gunk when cutting. That is part of okra (that is the thickener). I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  10. I am loving all your frugal tips!,From the hippy chick in Leicester UK to the hippy chick in America!,Stay safe and best wishes,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you are enjoying. Have a groovy day!

      Delete
  11. Love these tips thank you.
    I will save my pickle juice from now on.
    Best wishes. Pam in Texas.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickle juice is just so good for so many things. I keep it from every jar. ENJOY
      Have a good one!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. It just makes me smile! I can understand why graffiti artists get such a rush!
      Brightens everything

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the tips. Love the rock and the chair. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I drink dill pickle juice too...have for years. The first time Roger realized that he thought me crazy. I don't have a hamper upstairs. Roger throws his clothes to the foot of the stairs...I have a plastic bag on the door knob I stuff mine in and just carry down when it gets full. I love the chair and rock...have been telling Lorelei we need to paint some rocks for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pickle juice is so good. I even liked it as a kid.
      I like the painted rocks that people leave around the neighborhoods. Such a lovely surprise for others. I think they just look pretty in the flower beds too.

      Delete