Thursday, May 7, 2020

No $ - No Problem - Still Eat Well

We have all had times when funds were short and food was lacking - and we were hungry.
I remember as a single gal - eating a lot of pasta topped with catsup!!!  I would eat cracker packets for a snack when I went to my second job at the mall (from the food court).  Soup beans were made once in a while as was mac and cheese.  Hamburger (which was super cheap then) was a luxury.  Loved going to Mom's and bringing home leftovers!!!!!!  What a treat!!!!!
Of course I kept this to myself, as I didn't want people to know I had no money, nor did I want charity.  I know there are many that feel that same way today.
I wish I had known more ideas then.   (Heck I didn't even know about Ramen then!!!!)

A crockpot can be your best friend.  Leftovers are never wasted.  Creativeness is important.
I find there are many ways to stretch that food or that budget and fill those bellies.  Maybe not every meal is well balanced - but by golly if you are hungry, that really doesn't matter.
Momma's especially, just want those babies to have full tummies.

A dozen eggs can be very reasonable - think quiche (with all kinds of leftovers added), or omelets or just scrambled eggs with toast or on a tortilla

PASTA - cover in sauce.  Any kind of pasta - and kind of sauce.  You can even add pasta to a can of cream of soup.  Have cheese?  Sprinkle a little over the sauce or soup.  You don't have to have meat.  Add pasta to soup, casseroles or salads.  Pasta is cheap and filling.

Biscuits and gravy.  Super cheap and filling.  You can make pan gravy with bacon grease or even hamburger grease (for flavoring) - again don't have to add meat.  Biscuits are super easy and cheap

French toast.  Cheap bread and a couple eggs/milk - you have French toast.  Super yummy - add syrup or powdered sugar.  Top with fruit if you have it.  So many ways to serve

Burritos - wraps.  Tortillas are easy to make and they are super cheap to buy.  You can make them for breakfast with eggs or you can add beans and cheese or beans and tomatoes (canned are fine).  Add a couple slices of meat (lunchmeat) and veggies and dressing.  So many ways to serve.  You can also make quesadillas - yum.

Grilled cheese.  Grilled PBJ - maybe add a sliced banana or a slice of apple and grill.  Oh my goodness.  Grilled ANY kind of sandwich seems special and is a filler at any meal

SOUPS - soup, soup, soup..... there is no limit.  Throw anything you have together, add a bit of broth or tomato juice/sauce/pieces - veggie w/meat, no meat, no LIMITS to what you can do.  Throw in pasta or rice or beans to bulk it up.  Hot and filling!!  Chili goes in this category as well.

Potatoes - so super versatile.  Baked potatoes with whatever is left in the frig on top.  Fried potatoes, fries, scalloped, au gratin, in casseroles, soup, mashed (use leftovers for potato patties) roasted with any other root veggie you may have...………  so many choices.  Potatoes are filling and yummy.

Warm bowl of potato soup is always comfort

Macaroni (any pasta) and cheese - can be home made or boxed.  Throw in a can of tuna or scraps of ham or a chopped up leftover burger. You can add salsa or chili beans.  Add some frozen veggies or leftover veggies.  It can be a meal.

Beans and Rice - so many ways to fix separately or combine.  Soup beans, add beans to anything, refried beans, baked beans, made into a dip - add to salads.  Rice combine with beans - season.  Add meat or not.  Fried rice, Spanish rice, rice and cheese and veggies.  Both are great in soups or casseroles.  Unlimited options.

Cabbage is often cheap and it is very healthy and tasty.  Combine cabbage with some fried potatoes and maybe a small portion of smoked sausage or chopped ham.  (Meat can be minimal - just add for taste).  Cabbage soup is great.  Cabbage and tomatoes.  Roasted cabbage, fried cabbage, etc.

Any type of vegetable can be roasted or grilled. Cut up a piece of chicken or a pork chop and throw into the mix - dinner.  Add what ever types of seasoning you like or have. Roasted and grilled are so very tasty.

Add a cheap homemade or store bought bread to any meal to stretch it out and fill you up.  Bread is the great extender!  It is very filling and just makes a meal seem a little special in my opinion!

Check those pantries and cabinets - use whatever you have.  Mix up veggies and boxed mixes and come up with some fun meals.
Make sure if money is gone and food low - you go to a food pantry!  There are so many places that can help you.  Never be afraid to reach out and accept help if needed.

Get a little creative.   NO need to go hungry!
Simple food is still food.


 

22 comments:

  1. There is no need to go hungry, Cheryl. There are so many good ideas here and don't forget grits, they are cheap as can be and so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, grits, polenta, fried mush...…
      That is good and cheap eating!

      Delete
  2. Cheryl, I was stupid as a single! First I lived with gparents and my Grandma made these time consuming Hispanic meals that literally took hours to prepare. When I lived with my parents, my mom worked and my dad was a literal meat and potatoes guy. We ate fried pork chops or beef, canned veggies, and baked/fried potatoes every single night. I didn't have pasta, pizza, or even Kraft mac and cheese until I went away to college!!

    As a working single, I had an apple with pnut butter for breakfast, a Lean Cuisine, orange, and diet Coke for lunch, and either a can of soup or toast and milk for dinner!! My big splurge was a local Mex place where I'd get grilled chicken, rice, beans, and tortillas. I'd get that about every week-10 days and make it last for 3-4 meals!!

    Oh, how I wish I had been taught to cook simple and healthy things! We rarely had fresh vegetables in our home so the dorm salad bar was my daily lunch. I was like a rabbit!! I tried everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember every having pizza or boxed mac n cheese. We didn't even eat out - I was a late teen before I had fast food I think. Homemade was all I was used to.
      Pnut butter and apple is still a favorite of mine!

      Well, I had only one excuse and that was NO money. I was raised with a mom who taught me how to cook, and we had a huge garden which I loved.
      I was newly divorced and had to work 2 jobs to pay the rent and a utility or two (most were included) - but also debt left behind from a spendthrift ex - who didn't mind throwing me under the bus when necessary. So I spent everything on bills.
      I was so confused then - I never thought much about cooking well on what I had.

      Then I met my Glen and the world changed for the good!!!!!!
      I got my head back on straight and began to thrive. AND swore never again would I be hungry - thus the big pantry.

      Delete
  3. We have never gone hungry, but we sure have been broke. Thank goodness I knew how to cook and be frugal. Not saying I liked it at the time, but I sure have gotten used to the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Sometimes I would have preferred something different - but you so what you got to do.
      Being frugal sure is a gift

      Delete
  4. With 5 kids my mom always added a plate of bread and butter to meals to fill us up! And there were no meal choices - as my dad used to say, "Your mom's not a short-order cook - either eat what's on the table or there's bread and jam in the kitchen - your choice"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie your Dad sounds a lot like mine!
      Bread is a great filler - it just extends any meal.

      Delete
  5. Great post Cheryl. This is just the sort of information that is useful in these difficult times. When I was very young we used my parents used to make curried eggs which can be served over rice. Curried eggs was simply boiled eggs, peeled and sliced (or quartered) and added to a basic curry sauce. It was my favourite meal as a young child but I think the reason we had it as a family meal was because we had run out of meat during the week. I still enjoy it occasionally all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not something I have ever tasted - it sounds interesting. I think many parents had certain dishes that they used when things were very tight. I remember my siblings talking about having cornbread with milk over it and sugar - when the pantry had gotten kind of bare. That was before me - but they remember it and still like it.

      Delete
  6. I grew up in home with 10 siblings and a father who brought home hungry strangers on a regular basis .. my Mom never knew how many would be at our table for meals but she always had plenty of bread/buns on hand to stretch every meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of children to feed! Sunday dinner was like that at our house - it seemed many relatives just 'happened' to pop in right at Sunday dinner! Of course they were never turned away. Just like you said - more bread or biscuits went out on the table to stretch it. And Mom, bless her heart suddenly wasn't hungry. I will never forget that about her.

      Delete
  7. What great tips. Thank you!
    I have been blessed with never having to go hungry. Even if Mom and Dad never had a lot of money, there was always good food on the table. Daddy had a huge garden, and Mom canned and put up everything. They were amazing, and I didn't appreciate all they did at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      The only times I feel I went without were my own fault!!!! Mom and Daddy provided more than enough - even though we had little money.
      Looking back - it sure makes us all appreciate the sacrifices our folks made!

      Delete
  8. I just ate yet this still made me hungry! For one thing, I have been wanting fried cabbage, but afraid Roger will not eat it now. So would all be left for me. But one of these days I am going to try. His stroke changed what he likes, too. He used to love the cabbage rolls/hamburger dish, and now does not like it at all. I could always eat it, but didn't really like it...and I had just grown to really like it and then he don't. I think the stroke changed how he tastes things...he used to be a big vegetable eater, and now the only one he really eats like he used to is corn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that is what happened. I know heart attacks can do that - so I would imagine a stroke could too. It is your brain - so that makes sense.
      Maybe make just a small amount of fried cabbage for yourself.
      I just love veggies of all sorts.
      Hope you fix some soon!

      Delete
  9. Great advice my friend!
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made me want to roast some veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good post Cheryl. Basic cooking skills are so important. I worry for people who have lived entirely out of ready made meals or eating out. Well it is their kids I worry about. One thing I think of is nutrition and goodness. There are often herbs growing i.e. there is Rosemary growing in our supermarket car park. I have parsley all over the place. The addition of some free fresh herbs will add goodness. Another is knowing how to make stock. Basically left overs with nutrients extracted... this added to soup or used to cook the rice is like a free vitamin pill. My favourite use it up meal other than soup is fried rice. It is a real dollar stretcher too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      You are so right - we all need to know the basics.
      Herbs add not only taste but nutrition. We often forget about herbs - but they are so easy to grow on the window seal or on the porch or patio if you have no space.

      All leftover over bones should be simmered and made into that wonderous stock/broth. It is so nutritious and we waste nothing.
      Love fried rice - you can add any leftover what so ever to it.
      Thanks for some great reminders.

      Delete