Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Cool Yummy Refreshments - For Now and Later

With the weather changing, here in the U.S. - gardens, farm markets and road side stands will be starting up.  It will be a time to get lots of fresh and wonderful produce.  You can also watch for specials at the grocery to get some fun and easy treats - for now and later!!!

FREEZING BERRIES
Berries of all types are so good and healthy.  They make for wonderful desserts and special treats.
Wash your berries and then lay them out on a rimmed cookie sheet (so they don't fall off).  I like to put a piece of parchment paper or wax paper on the bottom first.  Place a layer of berries on the sheet and freeze.  Then add them to freezer bags or food saver bags.
A good way to freeze is in 2 cup increments.  You can munch on the berries frozen, add to smoothies or milkshakes, or thaw and use for pies, cobblers, crisps, etc.


AVOCADO
Did you know you can freeze for later?  Yes you can.  You may find a great deal on avocado - but can't possibly eat them fast enough.  Remove the seed and peel.  Smash up (can use a potato masher) or cube or dice and mix with some lime juice (to prevent browning).  You can use bottled or fresh lime juice.
Add to bags and remove as much air as possible - this is essential!  You can also freeze in ice cube trays and then place in airtight bags as soon as possible.
Great for making quacamole,  or spreading on toast or making any kind of spread.

GRAPES (seedless)
Nothing better than frozen grapes!  They are so refreshing and an absolute treat on a hot day.
I wash my grapes and de-stem.  Dry and freeze on cookie sheets and then add to freezer bags.  Freezing grapes seems to enrich the flavor of them.  Just a tip - these are good to add to a glass of wine for a pretty effect!

BANANAS
We all know that you can freeze bananas that are getting too ripe to use later in sweet bread and for smoothies.  They can be used to make a quick ice cream like dessert as well.
You can also dip bananas in chocolate and lay on a cookie sheet and freeze.  I like to cut the banana into 2 pieces and then add an old popsicle stick first.  Makes eating this frozen treat easier.
The kids will love it!

NOT Freezing - but pasta salad is a great summer treat!
Pasta salads are cool and refreshing on a hot summer day.  You can actually make it into an entire meal.  Add any types of veggies you want (chopped into bite size pieces).  You can add meat as well.  Bite size pieces of chicken, ham, tuna, bacon, etc..
Use your favorite dressings.  I have used ranch, Italian, a combo of the two, thousand island, etc.  You can some blue cheese or whatever you like and have.
There is absolutely no right or wrong way to make pasta salad.  Add anything and everything and have fun with it.  It is some good eating.
Fix a big bowl and you have a cool side or dinner for a few days!

So this summer as your fruit starts ripening or you find a great deal at the store - don't feel you can only get enough for the week.  Stock up and you will be able to enjoy the sweet and lovely taste of summer all year!
ENJOY

17 comments:

  1. Yum! I made the "banana ice cream" this weekend, that was good. Frozen banana, cocoa powder, and I added a bit of peanut butter. Blended for a few minutes in the food processor, until it has the consistency of soft serve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that sounds heavenly. Now I want some!!

      Delete
  2. I love frozen bananas! When the family would go out for ice cream, I'd always order the frozen banana. It's been years...think I'll make some for the grands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just so good and refreshing. I bet the kids will love them! You can add sprinkles or crushed nuts as well!!!

      Delete
  3. I love all those things frozen. Unfortunately, I only have the freezer over the refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you could keep a cold stash for those hots day! Maybe not for fall - but you can do a few weeks or so at a time. Here's hoping!!!!

      Delete
  4. I just froze 8 lbs. of sliced strawberries last week. They were 99cents per pound. Now I'll watch for blueberries at the market. Hoping to hit the local pick em places for blackberries and peaches in July and August. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mouth watering here. I love fresh fruit. Can't wait for a sweet juicy peach. YUM

      Delete
  5. We freeze a lot of berries here and then I do a massive jam session. No pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a winner. So much better than the stuff you buy. You control the contents!

      Delete
  6. My daughter told me about tossing the grapes in a sugar free jelly coating and then freezing. They are lovely and very good for slimming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never had them coated in anything - I will have to try that. They are just so darn good.

      Delete
    2. when I was making that comment I couldn't remember the right word for the sugar free jelly coating - then today it came to me, it was crystals. You don't make the jelly you just use the crystals to coat the grapes.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the tips. I didn't know you could freeze avocado. I'll try your tip to flash freeze berries so I don't end up with a clump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does help. That way you can take out enough for one dish or for a project. ENJOY

      Delete
  8. All great ideas. I freeze lots of bananas to use in breads. We have frozen berries, too. Yesterday I made a huge batch of French Toast and froze it. I pop it in the toaster and the outside crisps up nicely. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete