Wednesday, March 6, 2024

It's Almost Time!

 Good morning my friends.  I hope this finds you all well this morning.  Yesterday was a pretty darn nice day around here - except for the rain and thunderstorms.  It wasn't bad though, and the sun came out later.
I have one daffy blooming and many about to pop open in the next day or so.  The forsythia bushes are about to pop open as well.  The grass is sooooo green!  I even went out yesterday afternoon and pulled some weeds - they are thriving.

So it is about time to start thinking garden.  Many people start their own plants at home - I did at one time, but my garden is pretty small - so I just buy a few plants.  I do start my zucchini, lettuce and cucumbers from seed - they pop up so quickly.
I know some folks who have already got NICE plants because they started so early, others are just thinking about planting.  Now is the time in our area.
Today are a few ideas that you can use to save a bit while starting your plants and gardening.

You can buy seeds at the Dollar Stores - usually 4/$1 - granted not a lot of seeds in each and most are not heirloom quality - but they are seeds and they produce food!!  I have lots of seed that I keep over from year to year.  Generally, they are just fine.  Just keep them in a cooler and dry spot.

Start collecting fallen limbs and sticks from the yard.  You can make very cute and natural plant markers.  Clear off a bit of bark and use either a wood burner or a permanent marker for names.  You can make these any size you need.  Also keep those larger limbs that fall for plant stakes.  You can find so many things in your yard to help you all for FREE.

Keep those TP rolls or even tubes from paper towels and use them as your plant starting pots.  Once the plant is big enough these can be transplanted into a bigger pot or the garden as it.  The cardboard will break down in the garden.  My brother starts most of his plants and this is what he uses.  He saves all year long - cuts them in half and has FREE planting pots.
You can also use newspaper for pots.  Easily form them around a used tin can - fill with dirt - plant.  These hold moisture well for the seeds and again, can be planted directly into your garden or bigger pot.  Recycle at its best!

Homemade fertilizer is so easy to make - and it doesn't have a lot of chemicals like many store-bought ones.  The above recipe is kind of like a homemade Miracle Grow. (click on recipe to enlarge).  I use this myself and it works.  I like keeping things more natural.

Get your patio pots cleaned and ready to go.  I plant several things in pots as well as things in the garden.  Over the years the pots get grungy and buggy and it is a good idea to clean them up and out every so often.

I hope everyone can try and grow something this year.  Maybe you can't have a garden where you live - but you can plant a thing or two in a nice flowerpot and place on the porch or the patio.
A tomato plant, a squash or 2, green onions, lettuce, herbs or maybe a pepper plant - something!!! ' 
Do a little 'food-scaping' in your yard.  It can give you 'grow-ceries'!
Every little thing you can grow saves a little money at the store.  The taste and the freshness cannot compare - regardless of the savings.  It all tastes so good.

I am always amazed to think about what can be gained from a tiny seed.  One tomato seed can grow a plant that produces dozens of tomatoes.  One zucchini seed can grow a plant that can literally 'feed a neighborhood'.  LOL - you know what I mean, if you have ever grown.
It is truly awesome.
Nature at its finest!

Make sure you have some lovely flowers around as well.  Bees are so important in pollination of things and we need them - flowers and blooms give them nutrition.  I am one that will never use weed killer on my yard as well.  I let the dandelions and the violets and clover bloom!  YEP, I am that neighbor!!!  LOL
They are the first things blooming many times and it feed the precious bees.  We are kind 'screwed' without the bees.
Not only that - but you can also make jelly with the dandelions, violets and clover.   It is very good and kind of honey flavored.  I have made dandelion and clover jelly before - and it is yummy.  A little work to start - but worth it.
There are so many things put on this earth that we can use to nourish our bodies.  Don't forget the wild onion and garlic as well.
I just love that nature can provide so much and it is all FREE!

Are you thinking about gardening?  I know many still have lots of snow - but that will soon be gone, and you will be seeing the world come back to life.  Get those plants and ideas ready now!
May you have "visions of gardening" dance through your heads as you dream tonight!!!

Have a wonderful day all.



24 comments:

  1. Excellent idea on plants markers! I am definitely going to steal that idea from you. ha! We have sticks all over the yard and Erin brought us some too, for the little wood-burner. I bought some markers that are oil based so that will work out for marking plants. The Farmer is planting spinach today (I think).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, use the idea. Free markers is just perfect and heck, might as well use all those sticks!!! Mmmm spinach!

      Delete
  2. Debby in Kansas USAMarch 6, 2024 at 9:07 AM

    Sadly, the best we'll probably do is tomatoes. My knee just isn't cooperative in a garden. I'd love to do some patio pots with herbs and lettuce. I'll have to look into the timing of that.

    I love those plant markers! They immediately reminded me of some of the cutest beach toys I ever saw. A mom had taken pieces of scrap boards....not big ones, maybe 4 x 12 inches...and painted on them. A mom, a dad, kids, a dog etc. and then trees, houses, etc. The kids just stood them up in the sand and they all fit in a bucket that the kids carried. I thought it was so clever. Creativity on the cheap and green!

    I'm beginning to think that we're not going to get that freak snow this month. We hardly had any snow at all. We desperately need rain.

    Anyone have a peppermint patty? I've been craving one for 2 days lol.
    I need a York hit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if tomatoes is all you do - that is fine. Homegrown just taste so yummy. Patio pots work too!
      That sounds really cute for the kiddos. Fun beach toy.
      I wish some other areas could send you rain - so many areas are getting drenched - all over the place.
      I love a peppermint patty that has been in the freezer!

      Delete
  3. Peppermint patties are available at Dollar Store, packs of 5 for $1.35. I freeze mine so I don't eat them all at once. My once-a-day treat! :)

    I should be up and at it with the garden, but it's raining, so not today. However, I could spend a bit of time checking my seed supply.

    Thanks so much for the fertilizer recipe. That's something worth saving, worth making! Everything this year will have to go in pots as my garden area is presently overrun with gophers (I think) and I have had no success at all trying to discourage them. I could spend some time crushing a year's supply of egg shells to mix with soil.

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them frozen!!!!
      Got to start somewhere and checking seed supplies is perfect.
      Pots make for great gardens too. I use them a lot too. I have little areas.
      Darned old gophers! Don't step in a hole! Good idea on crushing the egg shells into the soil. So good for the earth.

      Delete
  4. Good tips. I'm curious to know the purpose of the food coloring for the fertilizer. Is it just to identify it as fertilizer once mixed? It's time to check seed supplies & purchase seeds while still available. The temp is -30C this morning; hard to think of planting but the time will come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yep - you could leave it out - it just makes it look like miracle grow and so you know what you have mixed up - vs. weed killers. You could just write on the container.
      Time to check our supplies if nothing else can be done right now. It will get warm ONE day!!!

      Delete
  5. I've been thinking that I need to start planning my planting. As I've shared before, I live in a 3-story townhome and our Association is fairly strict on planting. No food-producing plants can be planted in the ground-level gardens. Any flowers should be annuals, as our landscaping crew will pull them all at the end of the season; if you plant perennials, expect that they'll be pulled, too. BUT, I do have a 2nd level deck, off my kitchen and main living area. Deck plantings are SUPPOSED to be flowers. So, my deck rail flower boxes are planted with flowers on the outside and herbs and lettuces, radishes, carrots on the inside. What they can't see won't hurt anyone. I also have other planters with tomatoes and peppers in them. I tried growing pickles last summer, but didn't get enough to say so and the vine went everywhere, even under my grill, making it difficult to maintain (and that prickly vine was painful, too) -- won't make that choice again! I also keep a small pot of chives growing year after year after year. I finally replanted them after 5 years after a very hard and long deep freeze that winter. Haven't checked the pot yet this year to see if they survived our subzero temps in January; they may have to be replaced again. While this small deck container gardening is not much, it contributes a little something to summer savings on fresh produce. And, it gives me a sense of pride and some happiness knowing that I grew it myself. (Thinking I may shop for some romaine lettuce and see if I can get the bottoms to re-root. Has anyone done that with grocery-store romaine?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ADDING: I do dry my herbs, so I have them to use throughout the year -- fresh in the summer and dried all winter, with enough to share with family and friends. And, the "littles" that moved in across the street last summer were facinated with my planters and loved watching me water and seeing them flower. I expect they may have some planters on their deck this year. Share the love of gardening, and start them young!

      Delete
    2. I have just never understood the resistance of housing communities to growing food. It isn't ugly. It food you and it is your space that you are paying for. It just infuriates me to no end.
      Chives come back so well - I have had mine for years. You can get bush cucumber plants as well. They are kind of prickly, but a fresh cuke tastes yummy.
      I have done that with Romaine bottoms - I start in water to get roots - then planted in a pot. Worked great!
      I love that you have figured out a way to get around the silliness of the complex.
      I love that you are teaching the younger ones about growing as well. How neat.
      Love growing herbs - so easy in pots. Sounds like you had a bumper crop!
      You are so right about having pride for growing some things yourself.

      Delete
    3. It has to do with having food readily available and attracting unwanted wildlife, especially rodents. We have a lot of open space around us -- rabbits, beavers in the pond, coyote, and who knows what else. I've found a workaround that is beneficial for me and doesn't create controversy when living in a community with long-standing rules.

      Delete
    4. And since the exterior grounds are "common element", the Association controls all landscaping and ground-level gardens. For that, I have to play by their rules. But if they won't replace a rotting board on my deck rail, telling me that it's my responsibility, then my deck is my domain and I'll do as I please on that "limited common element."

      Delete
    5. Oh OK I guess that makes sense. I love that you have found a way for yourself. Yep - if your deck is your domain - then use it the way you want. Getting creative sometimes pays off.

      Delete
  6. It is always exciting to feel spring in the air. It is astonishing how little snow remains. Yesterday we were able to work a bit in the garden; had a leaning apple tree which is now straightened and secured. I pruned another apple tree and took out the leader. I don't want the tree to get too big and it is a standard. Hope that encourages a good crop.
    Wee tomatoes popping! Need freezing nights and warm days for good maple sap run and the last few days has been too mild so the run lags. However, perfect temps ahead so we will be back in business. I use the term 'we' loosely. My husband does all the work. I merely finish and can it.
    I think those snotty neighborhood associations that ban food growing and laundry lines are ridiculous and pretentious.
    Do your thing, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is wonderful to see and smell the differences in nature.
      Good going on getting a start. Oh how fun on the 'wee' tomatoes popping up! I love that you tap trees and what a neat thing to make syrup from something most people don't even think about. Heck gal, YOU are doing a big part of it. I bet that is so tasty.
      I don't know how well I would get along with an association!! LOL - I would spout my mouth. I guess you know these things before moving in - so I am thrilled that Lori has found a way!!

      Delete
    2. I had a friend who lived in such a community and she had trouble about everything. Made me decide NEVER to live in such a place. The HOA even complained about the hinges on her screen door, not to mention the hassle over her flowerpots on her own stoop.
      MaryB

      Delete
    3. Mary that would be awful. I know they have to have some rules - but I wouldn't like it at all. I like all the diversity in houses and yards.

      Delete
  7. Our allotment (community) garden has clay soil and it's too wet to plant anything at present. We are thinking of starting peppers, aubergine and squash plants off soon in the greenhouse but have had a few frosts lately. Last year we said, less tomatoes and then father in law brought more plants to fill up the space :-) We ended up giving so many away.
    I have to smile, the only peppermint patty I had heard of was from Snoopy. I did have to Google it. My Nan used to make peppermint creams, same kind of thing, minus the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that people that can't garden at home can find allotments in places. I love that idea and community gardens.
      Better to have too many than not enough!
      LOL - that is funny. Good old Peanuts & Snoopy. York's peppermint patties (actually soft mints) are so yummy. I love them cold - they are so refreshing.

      Delete
  8. We got snow again today, so any thoughts of gardens is held off for awhile yet. Our youngest son is going to start some seeds for us towards the end of this month.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy oh boy, you have been slammed with snow this year. YUCK. That will probably be the perfect time to start seeds in your area. Nice of him to do that.

      Delete