Monday, November 9, 2015

Homemade gifts

Todays post may seem like it is for kids, but it's not.   It is for everyone.  We are going to make ornaments.  Kids would like this project, but adults can have fun with it as well.

I will list ingredients for making 2 types of ornaments. Both can be made with cookie cutters, stencils, or about anything you can trace around.
Have fun.

CINNAMON CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS
These smell so good.

1 C cinnamon (buy at Dollar Tree)
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 C smooth applesauce
2 Tbsp. Elmer's white glue

Combine all the ingredients until it forms a stiff dough, kneading well with hands.  Roll out dough on a cinnamon dusted surface, about 1/4" thick.  Use cookie cutters and cut out any design you wish.

Lay ornaments on wax paper and cut a small hole in the top (use a skinny plastic straw) and then place in a safe place for drying.
Depending on how dry your home is, it can take 2 - 4 days to dry.  Be sure to turn them over several times each day.

When dry, you can paint with fabric paint if you wish.  Use a thin ribbon or jute twine as a hanger.


SALT DOUGH ORNAMENTS

1 C of fine salt
1 C flour
about 1/2 C water

Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl.  Make a well in the middle add water.  Knead till smooth and elastic like and non-sticky.

Roll out about 1/4" thick and make cut outs with cookie cutters.  You can also form it into small forms.  Insert paper clips for hangers and bake at 200* until hard.  Check frequently, so they don't burn.
These can be painted as well.
Dough can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container or plastic wrap.

These both make the cutest ornaments.  You can make them as small or large as you wish.
Get started now!

HAVE FUN

8 comments:

  1. Good evening! I have made the Christmas cinnamon ornaments years ago! I c an't remember if I used Elmer's glue or not. I probably still have the recipe. I still have the ornaments! Love the smell. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening! I have made the Christmas cinnamon ornaments years ago! I c an't remember if I used Elmer's glue or not. I probably still have the recipe. I still have the ornaments! Love the smell. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to make them but haven't. Even have the cinnamon and Elmer's at hand. Are there any tricks to rolling them out, like on waxed paper or saran wrap and to cleaning up the counter if done directly on the counter?

    Do they get brittle in storage. How do I preserve them for the long haul?

    Martha Stewart had these a few years ago in her Living magazine. She did birds and decorated them with the tiniest beads - cardinals, blue jays, etc. So very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the link to her birds...is this too ambitious for a first time?
      http://www.marthastewart.com/907577/cinnamon-bird-ornament

      Delete
    2. Ellen I always roll everything on the counter top. I just use a non-metallic scrubby to clean the counter after. You would need to wrap them individually so they don't get broken from year to year. I will look up that link.

      Delete
    3. Ellen, I couldn't find that link or get to it. Sorry. I can't imagine that anything would be to hard for you to do!

      Delete
  4. Ellen, I finally got that link - WOW those are ambitious! Beautiful, but looks like more work than I would want to do. Maybe have to do that after the holidays when there is plenty of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Cheryl! might be a good thing to do with the nieces and daughters instead of the gingerbread house - which guess who always gets left to eat it up? sometimes the Dog but not Always!

    ReplyDelete