Monday, November 23, 2015

Leftovers

After Thanksgiving dinner, odds are that we will all have lots of leftovers.  My favorite thing to look forward to is a cold turkey sandwich with mustard and salt on the day after!!!!  YUM

There are so many creative ways to use up those leftovers, so that you and your family don't get bored.

TURKEY
  • turkey noodle, turkey rice, or turkey and veggie soup
  • turkey salad or turkey Waldorf salad
  • turkey Manhatten's - hot turkey sandwiches cut in half - split apart on dish with mashed potatoes in between halves and all smothered in gravy!  Love this!!!!  It's good with beef too.
  • turkey chili
  • turkey stir fry served over rice
  • turkey primavera - turkey, broccoli, onion, pasta, chopped tomato, Parmesan cheese
  • turkey tacos
OK, you get the idea - the list can go on and on

HAM
  • soup beans and ham
  • split pea and ham soup
  • ham and potato cheesy casserole
  • served for breakfast
  • cheesy potato soup with ham
  • use ham on pizza
  • grilled ham and cheese sandwiches
Same here - the list goes on and on.

One of my favorite make overs is using an 8 x 8 lightly greased pan - layer dressing on bottom, turkey slices, then top with mashed potatoes.  Cover with shredded cheese and bake long enough for it to heat through and the cheese to melt.  Kind of a Thanksgiving version of shepherd's pie.
I also like to make potato cakes if there is enough potatoes left. 

Make sure you come up with some original ways to use the leftovers - don't let them waste.  You can also freeze meat in serving size packages for eating later in the winter.
Leftovers are one of my favorite things!!!!

Too many desserts leftover?  Those can be frozen as well for later consumption.
                                              $     $     $     $     $     $      $      $     $      $


"Let us be thankful that there still is sunshine, that we can still glimpse the blue of the sky and in our onward way, continue to look up.  Let us be thankful for friends with kindly smiles and cheerful words.  This is time for a grateful Thanksgiving."      Author Unknown

Today I am so thankful that we have the opportunity to have places like this where we can find company in our thinking and ideas, and that we are able to share with each other and thrive.
Thank you all!!

8 comments:

  1. I like your idea of Thanksgiving Shepherd's Pie. I make something similar only with chicken called chicken strata. We ate out yesterday and I brought our buns home. Big ones so sliced one in half and ate tuna salad on them for my lunch. Thought that was being thrifty! LOL Posted on my blog what I have done so far for the Christmas holidays. Little by little! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed that is being thrifty. I'll be checking in on your blog later today.
      Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  2. I also like the layered stuffing casserole. What is it about stuffing that is soooo delicious? I think it is the celery and onion and sage. I am partial to celery and like to make creamed celery as a side dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny I wouldn't eat stuffing till I was an adult. Then I was visiting someone's house and felt bad. I LOVED it! I don't like sage in anything. But I sure do like the celery and onions.

      Have you ever made stuffing in muffin pans? each helping is just the size of a muffin! I do that sometimes during the year - then I can freeze some for later.

      Delete
    2. nice idea on the muffin tins and then freezing them, I haven't done it, but I did eat once at a friend's house and she had made stuffing balls, they were huge like giant meatballs and also very good as she put some dark bread in there also, lots of crispy crust to enjoy with the gravy.

      Delete
    3. nice idea on the muffin tins and then freezing them, I haven't done it, but I did eat once at a friend's house and she had made stuffing balls, they were huge like giant meatballs and also very good as she put some dark bread in there also, lots of crispy crust to enjoy with the gravy.

      Delete
    4. I love the crispy edges of dressing!. I have also heard of people using leftovers and making patties and then frying them. Sounds yummy too.

      Delete
  3. Oooo, that does sound good. I have the carcass in the crockpot now. After the bones are soft, I will dry them on the coal/wood burner and grind them for bone meal, maybe for the pup, maybe for the compost. I hope this works!

    ReplyDelete