Thursday, October 19, 2017

Oldie to the Core

THAT'S ME!  I like the old ways, the older music, older things, you name it. 
I tend to be inclined to the 50's and 60's music.  I love gardening and canning.  I garden organically, like my Dad taught me.  I have 'old fashioned' morals and values.  I like re-using and re-inventing things.  I like antiques.  I like buying second hand - gently loved items.  I like old fashioned holiday rituals. 
I just like all that is old.

My home reflects my love of oldie goldies for sure.  NOTHING in my house is really new and modern - oh yeah, I have small appliances and such - but those are pretty necessary to every day living.
I decorate with keepsakes, family heirlooms, childhood possessions, garage sale finds, antiques, and family pictures.
Let me give you a small tour!

Anybody recognize some the 50's items?  I do use a lot of it too!

Old 50's & 60's matchbooks my dad saved - makes a nostalgic picture.
 
My mechanical doggy and old Mason jars

This picture is from my grandparents home - it is from the early 1900's  I loved this even as a child

My story books from childhood

Old time implement made into my towel holder
 
Old family pictures, and a certificate from family branch from Ellis Island.  Yep, they came through there and I have the proof!

A $2 yard sale picture.  I bought it for the frame - as you couldn't see the picture for dirt.  I do believe it is worth some money, as the artist is quite prolific and in museums!
 
Items in the china hutch.  The doll was my Aunts who was born in 1906, and a tiny picture of Aunt holding the doll  from about 1910.  Blue/white dishes came from Germany with ancestors in 1700's.  Brown dish made by my gr. grandma.  Lot of other goodies from days gone by.

Items in shadow box were my Uncles.  Keepsakes I received after he passed years ago.
 
 
As you can see, everything old is new again, at my house!  I just have a love for old things - I guess it's a good thing - since I am getting OLD too!  LOL   I guess I just felt nostalgic and wanted to share, plus I also wanted to show how you can decorate for little or no money and have your long ago loved ones around you each and every day as well.  I love paying homage to my ancestors and my past.
 
 
BLESSINGS!
 
 
 
 
 
 

19 comments:

  1. Oh, what neat treasures, Cheryl. I love the doll and the photo of your aunt holding the doll. Those are treasures for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda. They are treasures in my eyes. I just hope someone in the next generation will see it that way too.

      Delete
  2. Love you treasures Cheryl -especially the implement to hold your tp! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vickie. That is paper towels in the kitchen. A smaller version would be great for TP.

      Delete
  3. I love your treasures. When my grandmother died in 1996, my granddad let the kids and grandkids get what we wanted of hers. Most of the grandkids wanted the new stuff - I went for her hair brush that was vintage, and her handkerchiefs that were yellowed with age but beautiful embroider on them. In 2007 when my Granddad passed, he left everything to me, including his purple heart from the war. He stated that I was the only one who cared about sentimental stuff and he knew I would not sell it. I got several pieces of their Hull and McCoy that is worth some money but to me the memories associated with the items are far too priceless and I could never sell. Also, my co-workers think I'm weird - I don't have matching comforter, curtains and things - I sleep under a quilt for my bedspread that gets changed out each month. I have 20 quilts and some are very worn, but again the memories are priceless. I could go on and on. (LOL) THANK YOU for letting me be nostalgic too. Cindy Norred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy - Oh my goodness, what a wonderful story! Your grandfather sounds like a wise man. You my girl sound like a very thoughtful, wise, and caring woman!!!!!!

      It is wonderful to have all these memories and treasures. I am so glad you do too. Don't feel bad, nothing in my house matches either!!!! I absolutely LOVE the idea of having a different hand made quilt cover you each month - how cool!

      God bless you for being the KEEPER of history!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the glimpse into your home and your treasures. What special memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy I know we all have our memories and they mean so much. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Cheryl your post had me looking around my home. Most of my furniture was purchased second hand and Bluey and restored it. A lot of what was new(30 years ago) Bluey made for me. In the last few years we purchased a new bed and two new recliners a TV and white goods when we moved into this house. Older furniture tells a story that modern furniture will never be able to tell. Older items are strong and sturdy or very delicate, like fine bone china. I look around my home and I cannot see anything that I do not love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, that is what it is all about! Have and display what you LOVE! it doesn't matter what others think - it is your home and should be a picture of you.
      I am happy for you.

      Delete
  6. Hi Cheryl, this could be my house except we have many musical instruments. I call my decorating early attic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW that's cool on the musical instruments. I just have a violin and a guitar.
      I love that phrase - early attic!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. When we moved to SW Missouri 29 yrs. ago, we lived in an old farm house that was built around 1926. It had so many things wrong with it that it would have cost over $100,000 to redo. My husband did not want to spend that on an old house, so we built a new one. After we moved into the new house, one of my granddaughters invited her friend over to visit. The girl was sitting on a stool in the kitchen and was looking around. Then she asked: "You guys just built this house right?" I replied Yes. Then she looked at me and asked "What are you trying to do - make it look OLD or something?" I just grinned at her and said "Yes." I have many antiques in the house. In the kitchen are my grandmother's old Norge refrigerator (the old small ones on legs). I used it to store my Corning Ware and cast iron pans, a Hoosier cabinet and a Heartland reproduction stove, plus a shelf unit that my grandmother had in her shed to store tools and paints. It now holds my cookbooks. So I guess that if a child could tell that a NEW place looked OLD, I succeeded in my mission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris - good job!
      Now for the big question - may I move into your kitchen? LOL It sounds heavenly to me. WOW, WOW, WOW
      Oh my, all of those wonderful heirlooms - you are one lucky gal.

      Delete
  8. I love old and antique things too. I love the Little House on the Prairie books and love watching the
    Walton movies. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Nancy. In my opinion old is better - after all, these things are still here, and new stuff just falls apart.
      I still love watching the Walton's and Little House.

      Delete
  9. Cheryl, have you ever thought of taking that one picture to Antiques Road Show? Might be fun to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some of those aluminum colorful cups too. They are my grandsons favorite cups to use when they come for a visit to Grammies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dad saved matchbooks since he was a child too. He also saved Jokers out of playing card packs - so many different kinds of playing cards. This brought back some good memories. Take care.

    ReplyDelete