Thursday, April 18, 2024

Easy, Quick and Tasty

 Happy Thursday all.  Hope this finds you all well.  Sunny and cooler morning here today.  The dew is so heavy this morning!  I'd love to mow again today - but can't imagine it drying out in time before the rains come!!  It looks to be cooler for many days - but that is fine.  Love this kind of weather.

As promised, today is just a post about some simple easy and tasty meals I make.  Now, being alone, I can eat differently than many - but truthfully G would have eaten all these things too (and did).  I have always made rather simple meals, with simple ingredients - but that doesn't take away from taste.  
Hopefully, some of you gals just starting out will get a few new ideas and even those who have been following all along.  We all need new ideas now and then.

Quesadillas are very easy to make.  A large tortilla, top with whatever you like.  You can top with a 2nd tortilla or use 1/2 of one - and fold over.  Above is tomato, cheese and flaked chicken.  Anything on it is good. I have a quesadilla maker - but you can grill (above was done on a G. Foreman) or do it in a pan - place a heavy pan or foil covered brick on top - to flatten when cooking side one!  There is always a way to do it!!!
Roll-ups or wraps.  They can be veggie or add meat and cheese and whatever you have on hand to make.  They are quite tasty.  Wraps are a summer favorite for me.
Mac n cheese with cut up smoked sausage or hotdog - veggies (whatever you have) on the side.
Mexican style skillet - beans, taco meat (w/seasoning), corn, diced onion - all cooked together and then topped with cheese.  Use what you have.  You can make skillets with all the ingredients of stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls - just cook it all together in a pan and top with cheese.  You will have deconstructed pepper or cabbage rolls!  Add some bread or a salad - yum.
Using leftover Mex. skillet (above) and make smothered burritos or use to make enchiladas or fancy tacos.  A serving on the plate topped with an egg would be tasty as well.
Fried tuna patty, mashed potatoes, and fresh asparagus.  Extra potatoes can be turned into potato cakes with little effort!
Fried rice is simple and tasty.  Cook up some rice - add what you have.  Above I found a can of mixed veggies - know idea why I had those, but decided to use, baggy has a little turkey I froze in pieces.  Add an egg to the mixture when sauteing up and you have fried rice.  There is no right or wrong way to make this - just use what you have.  Not necessary to even add meat.  You can do this with spaghetti noodles as well and make lo mein.
Dirty rice with meat added (you can use any kind of rice or flavor), garlic toast and fresh veggie.  Simple and tasty.
French bread pizza and a side salad.  I can often buy a whole loaf of Italian or French bread for $1.  Split it in half and top with whatever you have on hand.  Spaghetti sauce makes a great base or use tomato sauce and seasoning if no pizza sauce or use your favorite white sauce.  There are no rules!!!!!  Any meats or veggies or cheeses.  Have fun with it and experiment a little.  You could feed a family from a whole loaf made.  I always have lots of leftovers to freeze for another day.

Think about:
Spaghetti w/sauce (meat or not)
Soup beans - then maybe beans and rice with leftovers
Smothered hotdogs and fries (can make baked beans with dogs)
Burger (any way you like) with fries, or fried potatoes or beans or salad
Chili and crackers or cornbread
Soup - can be anything you have around the house.  Hamburger soup is a favorite here.  Use your leftovers or a few cans of veggies to make.
Sandwiches of all sorts - hot or cold with a salad or veggie side
Breakfast for dinner - eggs, sausage or pancakes, waffles, omelets, etc.
This is an omelet for one with a side of asparagus.  I threw some cheese, summer sausage, and onion in the omelet.  YUM
Hand pies.  These are made with empanada disks (super cheap for many in pkg,) or you can use pie crust.  Stuff with whatever you like.  Can be Mexican, pizza stuff, thick stew, mac n cheese - you name it - no limits.  I fried these in the air frier or they can be done in the oven until browned and crisped.  So tasty!  Add a salad and you have a meal.  Great way to jazz up leftovers.  These would be great with scrambled eggs and cheese too!

OK - there you go - just a sampling of some of the things I make.  It all is easy and uses what I have on hand - no special ingredients.
I get bored easily, so I like trying to experiment - and rarely does something not turn out tasty.
Just one thing all the beginners need to remember - THERE ARE NO RULES!!!!!!!

There are many ways to use up leftovers or simple ingredients in your pantry/freezer.  Take a little time and look around - get creative and have fun.
USE WHAT YOU HAVE AND HAVE WHAT YOU LIKE!

Have a wonderful day everyone!


32 comments:

  1. Yes! All goodies on this list. And I LOVE making hand-pies. I love how they store and are easy to grab and go! We've also done toast pizza before and that is fun. Another simple go to is peanut butter toast with tea for me and coffee for Tim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hand pies are very easy. You can add anything. Pizza toast - sure have made a few of those. Good old peanut butter - great protein and yummy. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Rarely does something I throw together not taste good because after all it's all stuff I already like. On the rare occasion I don't like it I figure one bad one once in awhile makes me appreciate all the good ones that much more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Just using what one likes in a new way can spice up the menu a lot.

      Delete
  3. Your ideas are quite similar to mine, simple ingredients and simple recipes. Meatloaf is a favorite here as we like it hot for dinnner, and cold for sandwiches. Mac&cheese is another often made recipe and pairs well with meatloaf or sausage. My grandson is a fried rice fan and I'm sure he'd eat it every day if we let him. Summer time means more burgers, hotdogs and salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meatloaf is so good. I haven't made in a long while just for me. Mac goes with everything. I am kind of a cheese nut.
      Simple meals coming up as it warms!!

      Delete
  4. Good morning Cheryl, I always love your foodie suggestions. We always have leftovers here. I get bored too and love to try new things, One of the new things I tried was chicken cutlets/chicken schnitzel, it was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie. I haven't had chicken schnitzel - but have had pork and I agree YUM! I will have to try it with chicken.
      Thanks for that idea.

      Delete
  5. Lots of yummy ideas! We haven't had quesadillas in a while. Need to add that to the meal rotation.

    Beautiful day! I noticed the climbing rose outside my office window has buds. It won't be long until it blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quesadillas are a tasty treat to me. I really like them.
      It turned out beautiful today!

      Delete
  6. As I both look to lose weight and feed my son when he joins me, I'm looking for options to both eat at a meal and for leftovers/ freezer funds. I'm intrigued with making hand pies, so want to give them a try. I don't know if I've seen empanada shells but will look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empanada shells I found at WM. You can use pie crust as well and cut to size. Have fun with your son being there!

      Delete
  7. Great ideas, Cheryl! Leftover meatloaf? Grilled meatloaf sandwich (thanks, Dad, for teaching me this as a teenager), or fix it like a hamburger, or . Another option is to crumble the meat up and make it into a sloppy joe by adding some katsup, worcestershire, and other seasonings. You could also make it into chili, the same way -- your meat is already cooked, just add the other ingredients. Once, on vacation, we were trying to finish up leftovers before we departed our rental to return home. We had some leftover steak, so chopped it up, added some celery and onion, and finished up the blue cheese salad dressing, instead of other condiments. We added a little lettuce and rolled it into tortillas for a sandwich. The thought was that we just substituted some of the steak for roast beef in a sandwich, rather than tossing it when we checked out. That was probably 20 years ago, and I'll still use a piece of leftover steak in a sandwich like this or in fajitas. Chicken salad is also very good in a cold tortilla wrap. And don't forget beanie weenies -- slice up a hot dog and cook it in a pan of pork & beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One other trick, if you by link Italian, Polish, or Brats. Take a knife or kitchen sheers and cut the casing open. Empty the sausage out and use it as bulk sausage. For some reason, I always have frozen link sausage in the freezer. Great way to use it up in lasagna or pasta dishes.

      Delete
    2. I have made meatloaf 'burgers' - so easy. Meatloaf is just yummy.
      I love sloppy Joes - that is another good one. Good idea on chopping the steak and using that way. Wraps or roll-ups can be filled with about anything we have on hand for a light sandwich.
      Yes, that is a good idea on the sausage. No need to run out to the store - use what you have.
      Thanks

      Delete
  8. Lots of great quick meals on today's blog. I cook them all except the rice dish. Unfortunately I have had food poisoning twice eating rice. When I used to mind the 3 eldest grandchildren after school, we often used to make pitta pizzas, the topping goes well on all kinds of bread products. Pies are very versatile, you can pop any fillings in pastry, good for using up all sorts, good for single folks or small families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the food poisoning.
      Pitas are a good pizza base too. Pita is good with all sorts of things. Yes, the hand pies are just plain fun.
      Thanks

      Delete
  9. I put chopped onions in a baggie and often have other chopped vegetables in the refrigerators. Tommy loves a roll or any kind of wrap. He fills them with whatever he can find, so he has an easy and healthy meal from leftovers or prepped items. I am always surprised at what he has found. I don't like this kind of meal, but he does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy is like me - not much I don't like. I am not a traditional meal kind of gal.
      As long as he is happy and full he is doing OK.

      Delete
  10. Lots of great ideas Cheryl. Some I had never thought of trying. Thanks for sharing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummo, you have certainly provided some great combinations today. I will be trying some of your ideas over the weekend.
    Shopping with Linda this morning was a great success. We got everything that was on our list ( and a few things that weren’t ) and treated ourselves to a coffee and muffin. When the young man who owns the diner we went to, asked how Linda liked her muffin she proceeded to inform him rhubarb was a vegetable not a fruit!! I didn’t know that and certainly the young fellow didn’t either. He then wouldn’t let her pay for her muffin because she had provided him with an education. It was hilarious.
    From the free table she added a box of goodies and took 8 balls of wool which she is going to knit up ( probably some bed socks and a scarf$ and then return back to the table. Adding value at its best.
    Have a great weekend, hope the weather is nice for you. Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, I hope you try some of them.
      Glad the shopping trip was a success. I heard that very recently about rhubarb - never really thought about it before - just used it with other fruit. How sweet of the server gifting her the muffin! Love learning new things.
      Her addition back to the table will be a great gift.
      Cooler days now for a while and breezy. That is OK - too soon for 80's any way!
      Thanks - you too!!!

      Delete
  12. What are the liquid aminos for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a natural 'soy sauce' alternative. Full of amino acids (16), no preservatives, gluten free, not fermented - just natural.
      Made from certified non-GMA soybeans.
      Been using it for years.

      Delete
  13. It all looks delicious and easy! I love easy meals and save the big ones for the weekend if I make them! I love the comments Cheryl...rubarb is a vegetable...I never knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Easy is my go to all the time. I know - I just learned that recently too about rhubarb.

      Delete
    2. Hiya Cheryl, what are the names of all that lovely greenery you have in your last post. I wish I had something like that. I have a lot of my garden done this year. I only need to maintain it now.
      Love your ideas above. I really not a foodie so I also make meals last minute. Your fried rice…..I call that dirty rice lol
      Take care.xx

      Delete
    3. Sylvia - there are lots of different types of lilies in that picture - tiger lilies, d'Oro, and some I can't remember. There are poppies, echinacea, coreopsis, there is even a rose bush in there! Oh and phlox, a lot of that. Most of the items came from plants from my parents home many years ago. They are all perennial. There are a few tulips and daffodils that were done blooming in there as well.
      I just love a 'wild' garden of sorts. The plants all stay a nice height - now the lily flowers get pretty tall.

      Delete
  14. All these pictures of food look delicious! I didn't know they made empanada shells, I thought people used pie crust for that. I learned something new today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I got the shells at WM - in the freezer section of all places! I didn't realize they made them either. Cheap too!
      Thanks

      Delete