Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Yummies Made From Home

 Happy Tuesday everyone.  I hope you are all well and safe.  I know I keep mentioning it, but I am worried about many of our contributors/family.  It sure seems the spring storm season has been extra turbulent this year and very devastating. Check in if possible.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  It has messed me up again!!  I have my days mixed up again - makes no sense, because I do not work, but it happens every holiday!  I keep thinking today is Monday.
I spent 2 days relaxing a lot, porch sitting, and talking with neighbors.  Today it is back to work for me here on the home front.
It looks to be a lovely weather week here - very mild.  Good week to work outside.

I want to share a couple of goodies I mentioned in my Sunday post that I made last week.  SO easy using what I had here at home - and very tasty as well!

HOMEMADE TAQUITOS
Not my picture (I forgot because I was hungry!) - but mine looked just like this.  A little fatter than what you buy in the freezer section.
I had everything here. I used the air fryer as well - so no grease.

I used 6" tortillas.  I made up some taco meat and used shredded cheese and homemade/canned salsa.
You could use bigger or smaller tortillas - depending on what you have.

In an open flat tortilla, I placed a line of taco meat, cheese and salsa.  Then I rolled them as tightly as possible.  I put in a warmed air fryer at 365* for 15 minutes (solid side up).  They came out nice and crunchy.  SO yummy.
You could put anything you like in them.  Chicken, taco meat, cheese, cream cheese, salsa, enchilada sauce, beans, rice, etc.
DO NOT over fill!  You put a small amount so as to be able to roll up small and tightly.
YUM!!!!!

I also made SORBET using what I had on hand.
I used a banana I had getting ripe, and about 5 or 6 strawberries I had left and the scrapings from the watermelon to get it all.  I also used the juice from the watermelon.
I know it may sound like a strange combo - but it sure is tasty.

I put all the fruit in the Ninja added the watermelon juice, then a good splash of lemon juice, and 2 packets of Stevia - blended until smooth.  That is it!

You can use any kind of fruit you have, add any type of juice (water can even be used), and a good splash of lemon juice and a bit of sweetener.  Pour into a container and freeze.
I let it set out a few minutes before eating, so it can be scooped out easily.  As you can see by above picture - I have eaten some (2X) from this container.
It is cold and frosty and refreshing AND EASY! And HEALTHY!!
**Not ice cream like - but a cold somewhat crunchy treat.

It is so easy to use up what you have and make new things.  Just take a moment and think about something you like, but don't usually buy - then make it yourself!
Get creative.  Life is boring if we don't try new things.
This was my first time on both of these items, and I was super pleased with the outcome both times.

Have fun, get creative, use what you have, and save some $$$.
Have a wonderful day all!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl
    Just checking in. No weather issues here in sunny (HOT--almost 100 degrees and NO rain) South Florida, but I have been very preoccupied since my young brother in law died. Helping my sister and so on.

    We will be traveling to MN soon to a granddaughter's graduation, so looking forward to that.

    Still enjoying your column and look forward to the days you post. Thank you for being here!! Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane - glad you are well. Good to hear from you. That is hot!! I keep thinking with the storm season being so nasty this year - what hurricane season may bring. Scary.
      I hope your sister is doing OK. I feel for her.
      You have safe travels and enjoy your trip. Thank you for being here!

      Delete
  2. Holidays throw me off, too! Of course, when you are retired, everyday is a holiday.

    Your food looks yummy! Watermelon goes with anything. I checked and it is keto friendly. Good thing as we really like ice cold watermelon in the summer.

    The storms have been terrible this year. I feel bad for the folks who have lost everything, some even family members. We watch Ryan Hall on YouTube and he is an excellent weather reporter with his team. Actually I think he is a better meteorologist than some of the fellows on TV.

    Going out to till up an area to make a new flower bed. Actually making more weeding! ha! The Japanese iris have gone crazy so they will come out of their current location and be planted back along the fence, spreading them out. Ditto for the Autumn Joy sedums, which have gotten huge. Those will be backdrops for the Stella d'Oro lilies and salvia and a few stray iris. Just hope it doesn't take days to accomplish. I would happily share some of those with you! Enjoy your day. It is beautiful out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always throw me off - you'd think it wouldn't with being retired! Everyday is a weekend here!
      Thanks - I love a good watermelon! Nothing better.
      You have your work planned today! I was out until just a few minutes ago working in the yard too. Beautiful day for it.
      The new flower beds will be nice.

      Delete
  3. My daughter has come on a flying visit from overseas! I'm so happy you see her. :) She's busy tyring to see her school friends and other family, but we sneak in time between all the other things. :) We even got to look over my flower garden. She knows things I don't know and she's better with the computer than I am, knows how to look things up, knows names of plant diseases, stuff like that. Amazing what kids grow into! :)

    Have a great week, Cheryl, and I hope the weather stays friendly.

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how wonderful you are getting that lovely visit! I hope you et to visit for a while before she has to go back. She sounds like a smart cookie! It is amazing what young people enjoy - it does surprise me some days!
      It is just lovely weather. Have a super visit!!!!

      Delete
  4. I love taquitos of every variety. SO delicious, fast and easy. I'm always trying new things in the kitchen because I easily get board with the same things. It's probably the coolest it's going to be here for a few months so I thawed out the last container of beef chili in the freezer to have tonight. Are you getting a lot of cicadas? Ours just showed up over the weekend and there are a LOT. Have a good day Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like them too - just hate to spend money on them. So I decided to make some.
      It is going to be cooler here all week as well. I love it!
      Usually have some cicadas every year by now. I always hear them close to evening. Haven't seen or heard the first one this year!! That is fine with me - hope it stays that way! LOL

      Delete
  5. We must be on the same wavelength. Today I made a dozen white corn Masa tortillas to go with the fajitas that will be dinner tonight. Worked outside this morning cleaning out containers to get ready for planting. Harvested more lettuce. Your sorbet sounds delish. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum - I just love anything that MAY be deemed Mexican food! I really think I could eat it every day.
      The sorbet is delish. Refreshing and cool and leaves nothing to waste.
      I was out today as well.

      Delete
  6. All your "treats" look wonderful. Good for you using all those items up. Must try the taquitos one of these days.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love trying to make new things. The were so simple to make and tasted great.

      Delete
  7. Hi Cheryl, I am new to this blogging world. I have found yours most helpful and look forward to your posts. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to you Cheryl! Thank you so much. I do appreciate your words. I just try to keep things real and practical. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  8. Monday holidays throw me off, too! I have made up frozen concoctions like that. They are always so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed - Monday holidays have a way of messing with our heads!! A nice refreshing treat is always fun.

      Delete