Sunday, March 26, 2017

Frugal Happenings 3/26

Good morning everyone.  WOW, it is hard to believe that another month is almost gone!
I think it is finally spring here!
We had a lot of cold temps earlier in the week - now we have evened out with much warmer temperatures and rain!
I have slept the last 2 nights with the window next to the bed open and the ceiling fan on.  It sure made for good sleeping!
Our highs are to stay in the 60's this week, with lows in upper 40's and low 50's.  Spring is definitely in the air!  YAY

We have enjoyed watching all the wildlife this week.  I saw the squirrels do something I have never noticed before.  They were preening each other, much like you see monkeys doing.  It was so cute.
I found a dead squirrel in the yard this week.  Not sure what happened.  It had not one mark on it, so it wasn't cats (my kitties don't bother them).  It could have fallen out of a tree - but usually that just winds them.  I did notice that he had a lump on his belly in an area close to its' privates.  Looked like a hernia to me.  Poor guy.

I had a really good week.
Here is my week:

  • I ran to the Dollar Tree one day.  I found peach pie filling.  I have always found apple and cherry - but had never seen peach.  I got several cans.  I can't get peaches and other ingredients that cheap ($1).  I know it's not the same as fresh - but t will come in handy in a pinch.
  • FYI - I noticed Dollar Tree is starting to have more and more brands names (in food section) - I was amazed at all the brand names I saw.
  • Checked out a new discount department store that opened a week ago - was NOT impressed at all.  So they won't get any of my money!  LOL
  • I did an in between trim on my hair and root touch up at home
  • We had a local area grocery store that closed on Saturday (part of a local chain).  I ran up there Thursday  - not much left, but I did get some bargains.  This were drastically reduced.  I spent a total of $29 and saved $97!!!!   WOOHOO!
I got these 4 very nice sturdy baskets for $4 each.  They were originally marked $16 ea..  I could not fit all 4 in a row on the love seat (gives you an idea of size).  These will be goody baskets at Christmas!

I also got 3 - gourmet hot chocolate mixes for 1.25 ea., 2 - powdered buttermilk for 1.25 ea., and to Crystal Light for $1 ea. (G likes that as a treat once in a while - not something I usually buy)

Got a couple dozen Russell Stover individually wrapped candies for .08 each!       
I ALSO got 16 HALLMARK assorted cards for .25 each!!!!!!!

  • I stopped at an ethnic store right across from the above store and looked around.  WOW, there was so many things I had never even heard of.  I did buy a 25 lb. box of par-boiled rice for 11.99.  I have been reading about it - it has almost all the minerals of brown rice, lasts for ages, and is quicker to cook.  I have bought this type before in a smaller package and really liked it.    I also bought 2 lbs. of barley for $1/lb.
We eat a lot of rice - and I like to have bunches on hand.

  • Stopped at Kroger and got 1/2 gallon of milk (still had some) for .69.  I found an 8 pack of thin cut center cut chops for $4.  I beat out into tenderloins.  Not bad, .50 per tenderloin! 
  • Got to hang laundry on the outside line on Friday
  • Heat is off - and windows have been open.
  • Cut a bunch of wild onions/chives from the yard to dry
  • Mowed the front yard for the first time this season!!!!!!  Used gas from last season - mower started first pull!  YAY
  • All my shopping took place on two days - only times I left the house.
  • I went through my candles and put away all my winter scent ones.  I came across one called Egyptian Cotton - lit it and the whole house smells like laundry out on the line!  Love it!!
Meals this week:
Rueben sandwich and a salad (used last of Rueben ingredients)
Veggie, meat/cheese roll-ups
Rice and veggies with steak burger and gravy
Chicken dumplings, drumsticks and Brussel sprouts
Loaded baked potatoes
Breakfast - veggie/sausage/egg scramble, bacon, and oven diced potatoes
Tuna patties, mac n cheese and asparagus
ALL leftovers were used for lunches or breakfast

SNACKS: Finished up homemade cheesecake, cheese dip and crackers, mandarin oranges

Yummy roll-ups - these were so good and filling. Cheap and easy to fix - just use whatever you have in the frig!

All in all I had a very satisfying week.  I added to my long term food pantry and my gift pantry and spent very little money doing it!  I absolutely LOVE those kind of weeks!

HOW WAS YOUR WEEK?
Did you get any bargains?  Find any way to stretch your dollars?  Create any new crafts?
Look forward to hearing from everyone!

May your week be blessed in every way.
Prayers and blessings for all.



4 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you did wonderful this week in the savings department! I have never heard of that kind of rice. Bob doesn't care much for rice so I don't fix it very often but I like the fact that yours last longer. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nancy. yes indeed, I think I had a good week too.
      we eat a lot of rice here. It is good with so many meals.
      Have a great day.

      Delete
  2. You did great on your bargins this week.
    I haven't seen peach filling in our Dollar Trees but I'll start looking...maybe. I generally make my own peach pie filling though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie - I like homemade too - but sometimes buying a few things just saves money and time. It will be nice to have in an emergency. I am worried about fruit production this year - with all the weird late weather events.
      Have a good one

      Delete