Thursday, July 23, 2026

Busy Hands, Thankful Heart

 Hello to all.  Hoping this finds you well.  A glorious morning it is here.  Wishing you a good one as well.
It was 57* this morning when I got up!  What a difference a couple days makes.  It is just beautiful out.  The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the kitties fed and playing.  Windows are open - actually I never had the AC on at all yesterday!  Hope today is the same.  The heat is coming back in a couple days (just not as bad), so I will enjoy and appreciate these fine cooler days all I can.
I actually saw the groundhog for the first time in a week or so - it must like cooler weather too.  I saw a bunny across the street.  Such sweet sights of nature first thing.
I was amazed how much dew there was this morning.  I figured as cool as it was, and the humidity levels way down that wouldn't be the case.  Oh well, gives me a chance to do some other things until it dries, as I want it dry to mow.

This says it all to me.  The picture even reminded me a little of daddy.  He always had his bibbers on and loved the porch swing.  He would sit out there when not working and play his harmonica.  I used to love to sit and listen to that.

I feel so blessed to have these lovely days to get out and catch up.  It sure needs 'catching up'.  I see a mess - others don't.  Yesterday I was out back working and trying to make things 'pretty' again in my eyes, and I met the folks that are caretakers of an elderly neighbor behind me.  We talked about him and she told me what a lovely yard I had.  I said it is such a mess right now, from all the heat and stuff.  Her words were "from my view it is beautiful".  There you go - everyone has a different view on things and sees things differently - I think that is pretty neat.  I was so appreciative of her words, it makes the work seem more doable.  Something so simple as her words, made me smile and lifted my day.

I am so blessed to have a full refrigerator and a full pantry and can make about anything I can think of to fill my belly.  I use up leftovers in new ways and get a little creative and never get bored with meals.

A group I am involved with from school, had been planning a major event, that seemed way out of hand.  We were all kind of pressured into being involved, which just really stressed me out (others as well).  Well, I finally said I was done and wouldn't be involved.  What a relief I felt - sometimes NO is the best answer us.  One by one others backed out as well - and I really prayed that those that started this thing would see it wasn't feasible.  That happened yesterday.  Such a relief to many.  
Sometimes we tend to complicate life, when we don't need to.  Memories of days past are good enough - we don't need to try and relive them.  
Go forward and make new memories.

Opening the windows for fresh air, hanging laundry to dry, picking veggies from the garden, the kitties getting excited to see me, watching them play, cuddles with Bitsy, eating something fresh for a snack, a cold drink of milk, watching the butterflies and birds at the flowers........I could go on and on.
Simple little things that just make a day and make me smile.
I love being in my little home - as simple as it is.  It gives me a hug every time I come home from someplace.
I am so thankful that I can still get out and do all the things I love, just maybe a little slower.  I see many people my age, that have actually stopped and have no will or health to do things.

We go through things in life that make us sad and make us depressed - we all do.  Bad things DO happen.  But you know what?  There is still so much out there that is good!  Sometimes we just need to open our eyes and pay attention.  Maybe just being in the moment and not running away from things or not running towards something else is the answer.   It seems some people are always running.
BE IN THE MOMENT!  APPRECIATE what you have.

Keep your hands and your body busy with what you have and what you love.  If that is gardening, yardwork, knitting, piece work, reading, walking and visiting, cooking, just do it.  
Make each day the best day.  
I know I have been a bit nostalgic lately - but I needed that to get up and move again in my normal fashion.  I have needed some reminders that life is indeed GREAT no matter what happens.  
I think there are others here that need to be reminded of that as well.  You will get through things, and you WILL go on.  It takes time and work - but you got this.  God loves you; I love you all, and you all have others in your life that love you - so just keep plugging away and take baby steps to getting back into life.  Small steps still make a journey happen.

Have a blessed day and weekend.
SMILE and look up and appreciate.


6 comments:

  1. Yes! Remember that old one: "Idle hands are the devil's workshop"? Keep busy. Be grateful. See the beauty around you. Sing while you work - silently to yourself or out loud to the cat! ;)
    You are an inspiration, Cheryl, you make me think about good things!

    Being able to say "no!" is a learned skill, I think. We (women especially) have been taught to say "yes" but sometimes that is just the wrong thing to say. However you must be prepared to stand your ground, there might well be blowback from your "no". :) Be strong, you know what's good for you.

    We are having cool days and rain. Everything looks very green. :) As soon as the rain stops I'll be out looking for weeds to pull, now's the time, while the earth is soft. :)
    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet - idle hands are the devil's workshop. But we all have limits on what we CAN do - so pace yourself.
      What a sweet thing to say - I am glad to be able to make people smile or think about good things. My kitties have heard more of my singing than they probably care to!!!!! LOL.
      No is learned, and you are right. We have been conditioned to say yes. But sometimes NO just had to be said for our own well-being. I am finally learning that. I count too.
      Love that it has cooled for you too. It is so enjoyable. Yep, we need to take advantage of things when we can - like softer ground for pulling weeds! Cooler temps to work in. Enjoying the green grass - it is all wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Wow, 57 degrees. Enjoy it! We will not see temperatures that low until November, if then.

    Kind words can make all the difference. I totally understand that you felt wonderful about the neighbor’s caretaker’s words about your home and yard. You work hard in your lovely yard, I know! My house is simple. My closest friend is a multimillionaire (worked hard and still fairly frugal, especially her husband who grew up dirt poor) with a large, beautiful home. She is down-to-earth and always has sincere, kind words and compliments for my home when she comes by here. I have another “friend” who I won’t invite here because I know she’d make some snarky remarks. My home is my sanctuary.

    I’m glad the school project was cancelled. Too much. Memories are best.

    I do try to see the good in every day. Things are happening in the country that enrage me. I’ve been a news person since I was a child. My mother was the same way. But I don’t have kids or grandkids so I try to tell myself it all won’t affect me. I watch Sky News from the UK instead of U.S. news.

    I appreciate what I have and I’m proud of how I’ve lived my life (learned total honesty from my parents). I’ve never been a homemaker and don’t do the food/garden/canning things but I am frugal, still. I enjoy my yard a lot. But - and this is a big but and maybe anthems to your philosophy - more and more I feel I’m going to spend more money while I can. (Like you, I’m thankful I can still do most things but I am slower.) For me that is travel. (I could not travel for many, many years because of helping my mom when she lost most of her eyesight.) I have saved and saved and have no close heirs at all so why not enjoy what I’ve earned. (I still hesitate to spend but I’m pushing myself.) Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 57 is very rare here, especially July or Aug. Loving it to pieces!
      I know my old friends all have much bigger homes in fancier neighborhoods than I - but who cares. Like you, this is my sanctuary and it is paid for! Some of the folks I know will never be out of debt.
      I see a little news via the computer and the local news - that is it for me. I don't need it. I am aware - but I can't change things, except for me, so no since fretting about it.
      You love your travel - so why not? It is just you and you have the funds to do it, and that is what you love. Do what makes you happy. I love that you are getting the chance.

      Delete
  3. Cheryl, you always are such an Encourager! Your words lift us up and motivate us. Thank you very much !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I try. I just relate my feelings and hope they help another. I didn't always use to feel this way - it took a lot of 'learning' on my part and just life experience.

      Delete