Thursday, November 16, 2023

SOON - Will be Baking Time!

 Many may have started doing their Christmas baking already, but I believe most wait until after Thanksgiving.  Gosh, I remember mom making cookies and candies and little cakes before Thanksgiving - and storing them all in airtight containers.  That way there was always something good to be put out whenever company dropped by.  They could all be presented as a 'sudden' gift - when mom felt she needed to gift someone something.  It was always appreciated.

A couple of cookie recipes will be presented here today that I promised.  These are both very old recipes and are staples for many homes.  The Springerle recipe came to my mom from my grandparents that came from Europe.  Grandpa was from Bavaria and grandma was Swiss.  This is a family favorite (for most) of the family.  Now I have to say I do NOT like licorice AT ALL - but I love these cookies.  The taste of anise is different than licorice to me.
Hope these help someone enjoy a fun goody this year - maybe something from the past.

SPRINGERLE
4 C flour
2 tsps.  baking powder
4 eggs - well beaten
2 C sugar
2 tsp. boiling water (I always use 3 or 4)
2 tsp. anise seed
Sift your flour and add baking powder.  To the well beaten eggs gradually add the sugar, beating until very thick and creamy looking.  Pour the boiling water over the anise seed (releases flavors) and add to the egg mixture.  Stir in flour.  Mixture will be dense.  Chill
Roll on a lightly floured board to a thickness of about 1/4".  Press with your design board or springerle roller to make designs. (make sure your board or roller is floured).  Cut the cookies at the marked outlines and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Let these dry at room temperature for 6-8 hours.
Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  Makes about 4 dozen.

***I do these over 2 days.  I mix it all up late one afternoon and then refrigerate.  I remove when I get up and it is ready to roll out early.  Let the cookies rest and bake late that afternoon.
These are not overly sweet like many cookies and not overly strong.  IF you want a little stronger taste - also add a teaspoon of anise flavoring.  I DO THIS!
You can roll and cut plain - if you do not have a design board or rolling pin!
These are always part of Christmas baskets I make - everyone looks forward to this bit of mom/grandma each year.


SPRITZ COOKIES
I don't remember a year growing up that these weren't available.  Just such a lovely bite.

2 C flour
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 C butter flavor shortening***
1/2 C sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp. almond extract
Sift flour with salt.  Cream shortening, and gradually add sugar, continue to beat until light.  Add egg yolk and almond.  Combine dry ingredients to creamed mixture.  Mix until smooth.
Place dough into a cookie press (I use a manual type - moms).  Works best when dropping onto cool or cold pans - never on a hot one! (cookies don't release on to a hot pan!!!)
You can make any shape you wish.  I like to use the little star on many - as it is just a bite of cookie! (about the size of a quarter).
Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes on a greased cookie sheet until slightly golden.

To decorate you can add a piece of a cherry or half a nut to the center of each cookie before baking.  You can also add sprinkles or even add food coloring to part of the dough.  Makes about 3 dozen.
*** If you use plain shortening or Crisco - mix with butter (about half of mixture).  I have never used all butter.
            Just small lovely little creamy bursts of flavor!  I just love the almond flavor.


I hope this helps a few of you.  I have such fond memories of all the cookies and fudge and such during the holidays.  There was always a plate of goodies around and when company came by - there was a Christmas platter that was filled with an array of yummy bites.  Mom made so many types of cookies.  I think these two along with the iced sugar cookies were my absolute favorites - although I liked them all.
Baking and the smell of the house is such a warm memory.  I can close my eyes and almost feel like I am back in the kitchen with mom.
I don't remember a lot of toys or things that I got as a child - but I remember the baking and the smells.
Aaahhhhhh  - memories!!!!!

Have a wonderful day to you all.

41 comments:

  1. Cheryl, Thank you for the Springerle recipe! I can attest to loving these cookies. It was pretty special the year you sent some.
    *I always make the Spritz too. I think they were the first cookie I ever made. A big family favorite. I always used vanilla but may try almond flavoring this year.
    *One cookie I have tried in the past is Ricotta cookies they have anise flavoring in them. I love the licorice taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love them too. I am glad you liked receiving some that year! I like the almond flavor - but have made with vanilla as well. I even made a batch one year with a little mint added.
      Those sound good - I have a sugar cookie like recipe somewhere that uses anise too. I just love that flavor.

      Delete
  2. P.S. I'd love to be able to pass on any GF cookie recipes to my Sis for those of you on GF diets. Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone have a favorite Fruitcake recipe to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite is from King Arthur Flour Company. You can copy and paste this into your browser to find it...
      https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/everyones-favorite-fruitcake-recipe
      I've adapted it to whatever dried/fresh fruits I have on hand.
      --Elise

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that link. I want to try an unconventional no bake fruit cake sometime - I had one I got in a novel I read once and have misplaced it.

      Delete
  4. You're welcome, LaurieS. Me, too! --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the recipe! I do like thumbprint cookies too. Another fun bite.

    I don't have anything GF per se. I am sure there is a way to make most things gluten free - I just don't know how. Hopefully some of the gals will share something you can use!!! If you have something - please share with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let the baking begin! You ladies all have such tempting ideas.

    Gorgeous sunshine. Expecting some rain but who knows, it may go around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is that time of the year to put on pounds!!!!! LOL
      Tis the season.
      Sounds like maybe rain over night - that will be fine. We do need it. I need to try and get those leaves up today!

      Delete
  7. I’m the oldest of 6- Mom baked sugar cookies and pies for the holidays along with my granny. Granny made delicious popcorn balls. My grandsons enjoy those too. I usually make 4 or 5 different cookies including thumbprints, pecan bars, cut outs, cranberry white chocolate and ginger. I also make a couple of batches of fudge- chocolate and PB. Yum! Nan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am one of those who start baking cookies after Thanksgiving. However, I am trying to find a recipe for Kulach (spelling?). It is a bread from the Czech Republic. My mil made it every Christmas and I miss it since she passed. So I thought I would try to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's spelled Kolach. Google it; there are thousands of recipes!

      Delete
    2. There you go - Sue to the rescue. I hope you find a perfect recipe and it is a success. Let us know!!! Have fun.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous, I have subsituted GF flour in many cookie recipes. I find that spritz cookies are quite successful with GF flour. There will be a slightly sandy texture to the finished cookie, but the taste is the same. Use a quality GF flour like Cup 4 Cup or King Arthur's. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All this talk about holiday baking inspired me. In my oven right now is two loaves of pumpkin bread... one for us and one to bring to the (new PCP) doctor's office tomorrow. :-)
    --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honest trouble shooting. The kitchen *does* smell great. Using a doubled recipe--baked in the oven at the same time--one loaf came out perfectly and the other was a bit underdone. I'm guessing I have a cold spot in my oven. So... as soon as the underdone loaf was cool enough, I wrapped it in nonstick foil, put it in a baking dish and returned it to the oven for 15 minutes, turning the oven off w/o opening the door and leaving it there. I'm not the best from-scratch baker in the world, but am pretty doggone good at trouble shooting. --Elise

      Delete
  11. NAN - your cookie adventures sound yummy - I love popcorn balls too. Mom used to make them. I have never been too successful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cookie what a recue. Those are great recipes for anyone to use. I sure hope they help out the person searching for recipes.
    I forgot there is a recipe for brownies from sweet potatoes on the blog somewhere. You could use the little white search button up top on left to find that.
    Hope this helps others out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a bunch, Cookie! I just copied and pasted the recipes into an email to my Sis. :-D

    Sue, thank you! I'll let her know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Elise! I love thumbprint cookies, I have fond memories of making them when our girls were little, once my dad came over and just loved that the girls were doing things instead of being in front of a screen. That's a funny story about your mom! haha! My mom and dad would sometimes say..."Well, hell's bells!" or my dad would say..."s**t house-mouse!" I think he got that one from the army. LOL ...For some reason I would get kind of tickled because when either would say those little phrases it was never anything major going on, just minor aggravations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Cheryl for the cookie recipes...Oh those Spritz cookies sound so good, I need to do those. My dad made what he called "Anise cookies" and I bet that's the same as the Springerle. Oh such fond memories...

    I don't know how in the world I missed yesterday's entry from you. I had the Littles over yesterday w/daughters and my mom so I was tuckered out, I think our internet connection was maybe acting up too. I was wondering where it was and this morning there it is! Yay!

    The Manhattan sounds so good, and I could def do that with veggies too. Great idea, I've never had that before. : )

    I hope you are doing good and taking care of your back, I just put a few tops in the give-away bag and two more are pending. I also put up one of our little 4 ft. prelit golden lit trees next to the telly and another small 18 inch golden lit one next to the other side of the telly...I also found a Bijou Theatre (Wonderful Life from the 90s Target brand) on ebay, that one will go with the little 18 inch tree with a lit up church on the other side. The theatre even has a sign that says it's playing 'The Bells of St. Mary's" Love, love love. I left fall leaves with the larger tree so it's still transitioning...And we're mixing the pine trims with little squirrels and still have some pumpkins too.

    One cookie I would like to do one of these days are Italian Sesame seed cookies. Those are so good with coffee!

    It's so fun coming here and seeing what all the gals are up to and just to say hello to sweet Cheryl. : ) I bet you had no idea how the good Lord would use your blog when you first started. ((((hugs))) ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Spritz are so easy - if you don't have a cookie press - I have even just dropped little teaspoon size cookies on the rack to bake.
    The Manhattan is very good and filling and it would be lovely with a veg sandwich.
    I figured you were just busy with the kiddos and life!
    I bet the house looks cute. Glad you found the little theater! I know you love your movie!!!I have never made those cookies but they sound good.
    It is fun to come here and just commune with each other and find out what is going on. NO, never ever did I think there would be such a following here. It sure warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good to know about using a spoon for the Spritz cookies. I don't have a cookie press.

      I have three little lit up trees, one 4 ft, a couple of eighteen inch or so ones, up at this point with my houses from "It's a Wonderful Life" I'm constantly scouring ebay for good values for the houses and figures, I zero in on the Dayton Hudson (Target) "It's a Wonderful Life" houses and figures, it reminds me of when our girls were little and we would drive to Target on grey blustery days. I had two houses back then for Christmas and birthday, Mr. Gower drugstore and Highschool, they were stolen in 2001 and now I've found them on ebay last year, such a blessing. I've alerted our girls to keep eyes open at resale shops too.

      It really is fun to come here, I think it's one of those things that are right in the world! : ) I bet it really does warm your heart, it's very neat how God uses your blog and your life wisdom, Cheryl.

      Delete
  17. Almond flour does work really well in cookies. (Thank you Cookie!) There may be a slightly different ratio so look that up unless you are looking up recipes starting off with almond flour. Brown rice flour makes scrumptious gravy btw!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the tip on the brown rice flour, Amelia. In the past I've used cassava flour and using the brown rice flour gives me another option

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband grew up with the Springerle cookies. His mom bought a number of dozen for the Christmas holidays from a bakery in or near Lafayette, Indiana. He was just talking about them recently. We don't have them in our area. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, after my mom passed, we went a few years without the cookies. I then found them at a German restaurant/store in Indy. I got them for the baskets that year - but boy were they expensive. $7.50/lb. - which was about 12 cookies! (I believe it still is open - up on Post Rd.)
      So I decided to start making them, as I had mom's recipe.
      It would be cool if you could make him some as a surprise!

      Delete
  20. The early holiday baking was a really nice tradition from your Mom. Gifting someone something that you've made with your own hands is such a sweet thoughtful thing to do.

    My grandmother was the baker in our family and she made dozens and dozens of cookies, cakes, and pies for the holidays. She had to make everyone's favorite recipes. Such sweet memories.

    The recipe for the SPRINGERLE sounds like something I would really enjoy as I like licorice and would probably enjoy the anise.

    Thank you for the recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like licorice - you would like them. I am not a fan of licorice - but these are much milder.
      Those memories of all the baking and goodies sure are sweet. Back to such a simpler time. No worries about 'got to spend, spend, spend'. Cool grandma made sure everyone got their favorites!

      Delete
  21. My grandmother used to bake and make candies and cookies ahead of time too. She stored them in coffee tins in the middle bedroom at her house. Rocky Road, peanut brittle, fudge, some sort of candy made from chow mein noodles with peanut butter and butterscotch chips, various cookies and fruitcake... it was a plethora of treats. As a child, it was an honor to sample the delights early if she allowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such sweet memories! I remember the cow main noodles - haystacks I think we called them. I haven't had those in years - they sure were good.
      Life was just a little more laid back then. I miss those days!
      Glad you have such lovely memories of your grandma.
      Brings back smiles!!!!!

      Delete
  22. So nice to have family recipes that have been passed down. They create special holiday memories. I used to bake so many cookies for the holidays and make platters to give to friends and neighbors. It was fun but eventually became exhausting and expensive. Now, that I am retired and in Florida for the winter, I don't bake at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely having the family recipes. My family appreciates them a lot.
      it can be tiring and things do more expensive, but I will continue as long as possible. Mom baked until age 89 - so I will try to continue.
      Enjoy your winter in Florida!!!!!!!

      Delete