Thursday, August 29, 2024

Pantry and Grocery Tips

 Howdy Ho all.  As we approach the final days of this month, I hope you are all doing well and staying cool!  Next couple of days will be hot again here - maybe rain tomorrow night into Saturday - yes please!
Looks to be much cooler by Monday, Labor Day.
Life sure is moving quickly!

Today, I just want to post a few reminders about shopping and prepping your pantries.  Most all these things are common knowledge - but someone may not know.  
If you read our comments - yesterday was a good example why I do what I do.  A young lady, who is home schooling her children, wrote to say thank you.  She sounds very overwhelmed - and my job (our job) is to help gals like her who need some advice and support.

I did a store run yesterday.  It was round one of my stocking up.  I got mainly non-perishable items.  I took my time and strolled the store just looking around and getting some information to share.

FIRST - before you start that stock-up for fall/winter make sure you know what you have on hand!!  If really helps you spend your funds where they need to be spent.  You don't want to end up with a ton of something you use seldom, and not enough of something you use weekly.  INVENTORY FIRST

You all know I am not a person who is big on dates.  Those dates are NOT expiration dates - but "best is used by" dates.  They are by no means a 'throw it away' date!!!!!  Please do not waste your precious money and resources.
Think - the item in the package doesn't have a brain - so in no way knows the date!!!!!!
click on pic to enlarge for easier reading

With all that being said - when buying fresh items, I want them as fresh as possible.  I always buy from the BACK of the shelves.  Yesterday I bought milk.  The milk to the front of the shelves (where the doors open), was dated 9/3.  I moved some gallons and the milk on the same shelf at the back (and colder) was dated 9/10!  Think about that - not only is the date further out, but it is not by the door that is constantly being opened - at the back the temp will be a bit more stable.
I do the same when buying sour cream, cheese, etc.  I get product from as far back on the shelves as I can.  It just seems to have stayed colder.
I looked in the produce department as well - the bagged salads and veggies to the back were dated a good 5 days later than those in front!
Eggs and meat - I try to get packs that are further down under and not right on top.  Same reason! Colder.
ALSO shop for your cold items LAST!  Do all other shopping you need to do, then go to dairy and meat and frozen food areas.
If you can carry a cooler with you in your car that is handy.  You can keep some ice packs in there (when shopping) and place your cold items in it.  Or you can get those insulated bags.  Keep your foods cool if you have a ways to go home or have an extended trip out.

Along these same lines - I bought Ritz crackers that were on special.  I did the same thing and looked at the dates on the box.  The ones in front said - Nov. '24 - the ones in the back of the shelf were dated Mar. '25!
PAY ATTENTION
**also, for those worried about illness - the stuff at the back has been handled less!

Shop sales - loss leaders - you can save so much.  Those are the really great priced deals, that the store uses to lure you in.  It is the game they play.  YOU can play the game too!  Buy those items and any clearance goods you can and then leave!  Try to make you menus around what you have on hand and what loss leaders and clearance items you can get.

NEVER buy meat that has bloaty plastic.  You want your meats to be sealed very tightly.  Bloaty means gases are expanding and your meat is already starting to get yuck!  The same with buying bagged salads.  You want the bags that seem to have little air in them - kind sucked in looking.  Air is not your friend.
If you can get a vacuum sealer - get one.  You can often find at thrift stores for little money.  Vacuum sealing meat REALLY helps meat stay fresh longer in the freezer and not get freezer burn.

Take a time or two and really walk through your favorite grocery.  Get to know the lay-out (until they change it - grrr) and know where they keep any and all clearance racks.  My 2 favorite stores have a clearance section in the main aisles - then bakery has a rack.  The produce has a small section with bags of .99 bagged produce.  Other areas like cheese and dairy just have things marked to stand out.  I even have an endcap in the frozen dept. with markdowns.  Look around and notice it all.  It really can pay off.

If your grocery offers points for your shopping that can be used on future purchases or for gas - make sure you get as many as possible.  Know days that they may double or more your points.  My store does Fri. - Sun. that they often 4X points on grocery purchases (sometimes 2X).  You need to have their digital coupon for that - but it sure adds up.  They often have days when you get 4X points on buying gift cards (other than store cards).  That is a good way to buy gifts here and there and get extra points as well.
IF you have a little extra money when shopping - think about buying a $15 or $25 GC from the grocery.  Do this every so often.  (keep them for yourself IF you can).  They don't expire and SOMEDAY you may be very short on funds - and these will come in handy.

Check the buy one get one deals (B1G1).  Know your prices.  I buy these kinds of things now and then - but often find they are not that great of a deal.  If I watch other sales, I can still get better prices than the B1G1 most times.  It sounds like a deal - I mean you are getting something for half price - right?  Not really, as they usually have increased the price to give you that option.  It is sooooooo important TO KNOW YOUR PRICES!!!!!
Don't just buy B1G1 because!  Sometimes a store brand or another brand is much cheaper.  Look around.

Now I am a cook from scratch kind of gal - you all know that.  Not big on mixes and such.  I do buy some canned veggies and fruits (w/o added stuff).  BUT that being said - it is OK if you don't do that.  As much as I think cooking from scratch is best - if you have a boat load of kiddos or a schedule that is just crazy - you may need to do the box mac n cheese or the simple and easy mixes that help you save a bit of time.  This is another time to DO YOU!  You know what works in your family.  Not everyone is into cooking or cooking from scratch - so do what works.  Just do it as cheaply as possible.

Lastly, when putting your groceries away at home - take a trick from the stores.  Put your oldest product in the front and your newest to the back.  First in first out.  This makes the rotation smart.  Things don't get lost and you are using it all and thus saving money.

Hoping this helps someone.  Just a few things I noticed and thought about when walking the store.  Any way you can keep things fresh and save money is a winner.  Be aware of your stores and the rotation of sales (many are 6 - 9 week intervals).  
SHOP SMART

Enjoy these last few days of August.  Stay cool and have a lovely weekend.
Have a wonderful and blessed day!

42 comments:

  1. I walk Fred Meyer (a Kroger brand), weekly. Never know what might be marked down or on sale but not in the online weekly ad. I stocked up on my favorite Tea 2/$4.99 buying 6 every week 3X. Yesterday? $5.49each. I stocked up on TP as well. 6 12packs for $10.99 w/card and dig coupon. I routinely find pork loin steak packs marked down so they are $1-sometimes, 4,6,8 per pack. I seem to consistently have some in the freezer these days. My preferred dk chocolate bars are on sale regularly so I stock up. I will pay full price for my nightly serving but I don't very often. And 2w ago I wandered through clothing clearance and found a lovely tank top for $8.99.

    And if I find nothing only my weekly walkthrough, I still got 3000 steps from walking every aisle! Win either way.

    Happy Thursday everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did TP this week as well. Multi packs on great sale. I always have a good year of TP on hand.
      Yep, it sure pays to just wander around and look - as long as you aren't a binge/impulse spender!
      Getting the deals when they are out there is very important.
      I like your attitude - at least there is free exercise!

      Delete
  2. You hit the most important thing we need to know right on the head: PAY ATTENTION! Keep track of what you have, what you need. Buy what you will actually eat. Rotate that inventory. You will be glad you did. The chart on expiration dates is golden. Perishable food should be treated with respect. No one want to get sick on yucky dairy or meat. We have a garage refrigerator that was purchased at HH Gregg when they were open. (I miss them!) It was designed for garage use and boy, do we use it. I put a white board chart on the door to keep track of perishables. A vacuum sealer is nice to have...it does help keep the freezer burn at bay. A good point about having a well-stocked pantry and freezer: we didn't want to get out to shop in this heat and I found what we needed in the garage grocery store. Between that and the grow-ceries in the backyard, we are well fed!

    Looking forward to the cooler temps the first of the week. I checked the long-range 30 day forecast for Indiana and looks like highs will be in the low 80's and nighttime in the low 70's. Of course, we all know that is subject to change. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great tip - buy what you eat!!! Thanks.
      Yep, it is so easy if we just keep track. Hot, cold, illness, tight on funds - all good reasons to have "our stores" at home. That is how I look at my pantry - it is my grocery store.
      Good idea on the second frig.
      I look forward to the temps next week.

      Delete
    2. Oh I just LOVE the idea of a white board on the freezer to keep track of inventory in it! Why did I never think of that??? I have a whiteboard calendar on my fridge in the house, but it would help quite a bit to have one on the freezer out in the car port shed! Thank you for the idea! I am going to start looking for one right away. Yesterday when in Walmart I noticed quite a few over with the school items, some of which have started to be marked down for clearance already. Time to keep my eyes open for a whiteboard on clearance!

      Delete
    3. Love that you found an idea you can use!

      Delete
  3. I went to our Kroger yesterday for the butter sale. 2.79 a pound is much better than the 3.99-4.29 it's been for the last several months. (which I haven't had to buy) I have always tried to keep 15-20 pounds in the freezer and I was down to 5 so I was happy to find the sale. I bought the limit of 5 yesterday and will go back Saturday for 5 more before the sale ends. A number of years ago I switched to organic milk. I buy the 1/2 gallon in the cardboard carton and the sell by date is usually a full month or longer out. I guess the cardboard keeps it fresher than the plastic cartons do. We don't drink milk but I do use it for cooking and baking so the longer use by date saves us money in the long run. Yes, inventory before shopping is a must. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great deal on butter. I still have a bunch in the freezer so didn't get any. I am the same - always have a bunch on hand.
      That is good to know on the milk. Never heard that about the cardboard containers. I am a milk lover - so I drink a lot.
      Good tip.

      Delete
  4. I swear everytime I figure out where things are in a grocery store, they switch things around on me. :)
    In the city, I don't see the type of clearance racks as you have, as most of the food is given to the food bank - which is great. Here in town, the Independant Grocer does and I check them frequently, especially for baked goods.
    I'm a huge proponent of buying sale items and then getting out of the store! Unless it is something we've run out of I try to leave the store without the regular priced items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our store give to the food banks too - I just think they put 'some' out for their everyday customers.
      I hate when they change things up = they think they are going to trick us into spending more!!
      Yes mam - buy the sales and go. Sure saves money.

      Delete
  5. Since my pantry is fairly well stocked I now try to concentrate on the loss leaders, point eligibility and any manager's in-store sales - although at times I do just try to fill in some gaps.
    One thing I keep on hand, especially in the Winter is a variety of milks. I buy the regular milk with the date as far ahead as possible, I also keep some 1 1/2 litre sized long life milk that has to be refrigerated (I have 2 in the fridge right now - both dated for mid-December) and then I also keep tetra packs of the shelf stable UHT milks in the pantry - usually good for six months ahead. I'd been having problems finding this lately and last week I found some at the pricier grocery store but good thing I checked - all the ones in front had a bb date of August 12, 2024 and this was on Aug. 22! I moved them all to a lower shelf and laid them down on their side so that people would know there was an issue. I found some at the back dated March 2025 so that's what I bought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep shelf stable around too - just in case. I also have evaporated milk and powdered milk. Covering all the basis.
      That was nice of you to move them from the rotation, so people could see. Shopping from the back of the shelf does pay off.
      Smart to just fill in gaps. No need to over shop as that can cause waste.

      Delete
  6. I am officially declaring you a 'Guru'. Your posts are so precise. Years of learning about home economy, all laid down in a few paragraphs to guide a new generation. It took me many years to get to where we are today. Another reason to be thankful for the World wide web.
    I did some baking this morning and I'd like to mention that canola oil or vegetable oil can be a replacement for more expensive butter, shortening or margarine in recipes. There is some noise about the unhealthy aspects of 'seed oils' but for budget minded people, it works. Who knows what is in the convenience baked goods we buy? Palm oil? There goes orangutan habitat; hence why I boycott Nutella and all palm oil products.
    Thanks for your blog. I know it must take a big effort to be so consistently informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - guru? That is a new one! I will take it.
      So many of us took years to get to where we are, and I figure why not help someone get past the stumbling blocks and get right to it.
      I agree, I use oils sometimes as well. Less expensive. I try to stay away from things with palm oil - just seems so unethical.
      Thank you. Some days I struggle with things to write about - but I try to stay informed and to inform. My mind goes blank now and then. Guess the guru is getting older!!!!

      Delete
    2. I absolutely agree with Rita. Guru Cheryl has a great ring to it.
      Louise

      Delete
  7. Another great post, Cheryl. Checking dates, especially on dairy products, sometimes drives me crazy. But when you're on a tight budget, you can't afford having those crucial items go bad. And, having worked in the food industry, there are State and Federal regulations that must be followed. If a store gets caught with past due dairy (in particular) on the shelf, there can be hefty fines. If I find that's the case, I ask to speak to the Dept. Manager, and if I can't find an associate to go get him/her, I'll stop at the Customer Service desk on my way out and speak directly to the Store Manager. At our local Kroger-brand store, it happened 3x in a row and I told the Dairy Manager that I was done, the next time I found expired dairy, I'd photograph it and contact the Health Dept. while still in-store, and then stopped at Customer Service and told the Store Manager the same thing. After that, things were much better. They knew customers were paying attention. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I'll forgive them for missing a couple of containers of yogurt, but if it happens again and I've not said anything, then it's on me. A third time? I'm calling you out on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It sure pays to be aware. It makes sense to get the furthest out date we can on fresh stuff.
      My Kroger does discount milk and dairy very cheaply - and it is in a separate frig unit.
      Folks have to work within their budgets and get the best deals they can. they need to make things last as long as possible.
      I have noticed at ours, many of the milk items say sell by - which isn't a use by. I have had milk at home in the back of the frig (unopened) that hasn't gotten opened for a good week or more after the date and I use as normal and it always tastes perfect. That is just me.

      Delete
    2. My father worked in the milk industry for 35-40 years. The date on dairy products is now called Best by (date). Historically, this was the "pull date"--the last date the product could be sold. I expect that stores still use this date as a pull date. Dairy is usually good for about 3 days after this. I always look for the date that is the farthest out. Hope this helps!

      Delete
    3. Oops, the above was from me.

      Delete
  8. I've also found that menu planning (all meals, not just the main meal) has helped save $$. I can first shop my pantry and freezer, and also shop loss leaders. An added benefit is that it eliminates food waste and extra trips to the store (especially for breakfast items). When I plan, I work expected leftovers into the next day's meal -- leftover chicken becomes chicken salad or in another chicken dish; meatloaf can be crumbled and used in sloppy joes or chili, etc. The container of strawberries for smoothies can also be sliced and used in cereal, as a salad topper, or in a dessert. If I don't plan and just buy them, they'll often get fuzzy in the produce drawer. The menu plan, hung on the refrigerator or laid on the counter is a physical reminder of the food that's available to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tactic to have. I generally just eat one meal - so it is easy for me. When Glen was here - I always used leftovers (if we had them) for lunches. I still use all leftovers in some form.
      Smart way to do it and there are no surprises and you don't forget. I love that people are disciplined enough to plan a week or more.

      Delete
  9. Scratch cooking and bakes, rock. Things will change when we move, for right now, we're are using everything up and keeping a light pantry of needs. Really right now, our goal continues to be use it up and empty that pantry. Unless, like two weeks ago there was an excellent deal on something we use. Even that though, we're using them up quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand using it up if one has to move. Food can be very heavy! A deal is a deal - no matter when we find them!

      Delete
  10. Great ideas/advice, Cheryl. I have the time and inclination, so I like to cook from scratch. Busy moms or people who can’t stand for very long are much better off opening a few cans or a box and getting the job done.
    My brother in-law says he no longer cooks, he “heats”-LOL!
    I hadn’t thought about buying gift cards for us! Just in case…
    All the ideas are very helpful to all of us - but, so glad those who are in the midst of raising a family or just starting out can learn from Aunt Cheryl and the ladies who post their good ideas here.
    Sounds like our weather is about the same as yours, even rain for the weekend (I hope, I hope!).
    Take care ~
    Mary in OK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heating can be just the thing for some people. It may not be as healthy - but it is food and nourishment.
      I usually try to have a couple store gift cards in my wallet - great if I need them - or just to help someone. You never know.
      I just love hearing from the new folks to this game - it fills my heart up.
      I sure hope for rain as well.

      Delete
  11. Hi Cheryl, great tips ! Love reading all of your posts and comments on them ! I get such good information ☺️ I know a family who buys gift cards to use to keep on budget . They buy for the stores they shop and get a certain amount for each store then divide it per week . Kind of like the envelope system . Seems to work for them to keep on budget. Thank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gaila. Thank you and so glad to have you here. Love hearing from new folks.
      That is a wonderful idea - to use like the envelope system. Never thought of that.
      Buy X amount of cards per month - and when they are gone - you are done shopping. Great idea. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. Hi Cheryl. As always, a lot of good information. I'm a cook from scratch girl too. Last year after Christmas all of the cranberries were marked way down and I bought quite a few bags. Today some became cranberry sauce to have with dinner tonight and to freeze the sauce for later use. We're busy with the garden produce as well. I'm currently shopping and stocking ingredients .Oats, rice, alternative GF flours, nuts, dry milk, canned milk, coffee, fresh ginger that I freeze to make fresh ginger tea that works so well as an anti-inflammatory for pain. One tip I have is to make friends with the butcher at your grocery store. If asked he or she will tell you on what days they put out the meat, poultry mark downs. Typically, at our favorite store they put the mark downs out on Tuesdays. If we're in the vicinity running other errands we will make that our first stop. It can save one a bundle in cash and time because there's no guessing as to when those markdowns occur.
    PS: We had some fresh fried okra with dinner last night. I ate some for you. Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those after holiday sales can be so great. Buy for pennies and use it for different things during the year.
      You are a busy gal. Love all the things you are doing.
      Yes, great idea. The butchers and even the manager may tell you markdown days. I forgot about that.
      Oh num-num!!!!

      Delete
  13. Such great advice, Cheryl. I also get the things from the back of the stack. I wanted what is the farthest date out to save money. I was reading today where this gentleman was eating expired oatmeal he bought on clearance two years ago. It was still good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is the date further out, but cold things are colder.
      Heck yes, if dry and kept free from buggers - it would be perfect for years. Many items are good for years and years.

      Delete
  14. I know Publix marks things up for bogo, but it is still a better deal than the regular full price. Even other stores' full price cannot beat those prices. Some days, I buy only bogo at Publix. I have three stores where I shop, so there are days I only buy what is on sale, even salads and slaw mix.
    Tommy even has learned my methods and helps to save money when he sees something. Of course, he gets the bogo chip that I ignore. Having a coupon on a sale item sometimes makes it almost free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the coupons - but don't get any anymore other than the digital ones. Not taking the paper anymore - so no real coupons. Chips - well sometimes you just need a treat!
      Nice that he is learning the tricks too.

      Delete
  15. Such great advice Cheryl! Especially about putting your latest groceries (cans, etc.) behind the ones already there. I never think about that! I'm taking a blogging break, but I will still be reading my favorites each week. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always remember either - we just want to get those groceries put away - so get in a hurry.
      Enjoy your break and have a lovely holiday weekend. Stay safe.
      See you when you get back.

      Delete
  16. I am slowly remembering to place new items behind the older items on the shelves. I love my vacuum sealer and just got the attachment that will allow me to seal jars!!! Got to keep those beans, rice and lentils fresh.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes practice and time.
      I really need to get a jar sealer too. They sound pretty cool. Enjoy

      Delete
  17. Cheryl,
    I remember my children when they were little asking my what I was doing with the cans when I put the new ones behind the older ones. I even had grease pencils to put the date I bought them. Best by dates were not on cans back then. I now mark cans front and top. That way, it is even easier to see.
    I have three boxes of green beans--2023, 2024, and a box of 2025 and 2026. We are quickly eating all the 2023 can. Since green beans are my favorite vegetable, it is not hard.
    The Birmingham News shut its doors last year, but there are still coupons, just not so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people remark their cans themselves. It does make it easier to see. I personally have never done that, but it is a smart idea. Like having a whiteboard on a freezer to keep track of items. So many good ideas.
      I haven't seen a paper coupon since I stopped the newspaper.

      Delete
  18. Lots of good ideas and reminders again,Cheryl. I don't comment often but read every day. Thanks to you...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love having you here - thanks for always reading.
      Thank you! We all need a reminder now and then.

      Delete