Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Powders and Their Uses

 Happy midweek!  I sure hope this finds all safe and well.  I know storms are still happening on the East coast and many have been hit hard.  My heart goes out to all of you that have damage or have been without power for hours.  The state of Florida is beautiful as is the East coast - but dang it can be dangerous as well.  
We had rain just before dusk last night and it sure did cool the temperatures.  It still feels a bit humid this morning (it was also misting), but it is much cooler.  I can't wait to get caught up on outdoor work this week while the getting is good!

Yesterday we spoke about how we need to get those pantries stocked up and how to use things in different ways.  We can freeze, can, dehydrate, and some have freeze driers.  We can get creative with our cooking - put just a reminder we can POWDER things as well!
It is a great way to use parts that you may never use and it is also a great way to get a few extra vitamins into those picky eaters.  
Lately there have been posts all over the FB about 'use everything up' challenges!  I thought that was just normal!!  I guess people normally waste a lot of food.  I try to use every little thing to the max.
ALSO - don't forget you can use peels & cores of apples and peach skins for making jelly.

You can powder just about any fruit or veggie.  FIRST you need to dehydrate items.  It needs to be very dry.  You can use a dehydrator, or you can use the lowest setting (about 225*F) on your oven.  Once you have your desired item very dry - you grind it up.
I have myself a couple small coffee grinders that I purchased for $1 each at yard sales.  One is for spicey things and the other one if for pretty much everything else.

I started this journey with the skins and leftovers of canning tomatoes. (not bad spots).  I have dried both in the oven and with a dehydrator.  Both work well.  I get the skins crispy - not burnt.  Then crush up by hand a bit and add to grinder.  It takes pulsing a bit to get it into a powder.  This year I am going to try using the Ninja - it has a good pulse setting I like.  I use the tomato powder in soups and casseroles a lot.

Click on pic to read better.

Fruit powders can be added to pudding, Jello, milkshakes or malts, homemade ice cream, oatmeal, in pancake batter, sweet bread/muffin batters.  You can add to about anything that you want to be lightly flavored with fruit.

Veggie powders can also be added to smoothies, soups, casseroles, in fritters, even sprinkle in things like meatloaf.  It is a 'sneaky' way to get those veggies in the body without most people knowing!
The other day it was posted about roasting the ends of asparagus for use in soups (in comments).  I dehydrate and grind them, then add to my cream of asparagus soup.  Either way can be done.
Other than asparagus (which is stronger in flavor), I usually put all the green powder in one container all mixed up.
You can dehydrate zucchini (and yellow squash) very dry and grind and use as a substitute for part of the flour in your breads and such.  YEP, zucchini flour!

I dehydrate the outer leaves of cabbage, the greens from carrots, turnips, radishes, etc.  There are many things that you can use.  If you have extra lettuce - dry it.  
There isn't much you can't dehydrate and grind.
Don't forget all your herbs you grow!  They are great for seasoning.  You can make things like lemon pepper, mixed herbs, garlic/onion salt, etc.  Granted it is easier to buy it already made - but there are so many other 'things' in it.  You know exactly what is in your blends if you make it yourself.

Flavors are very subtle - yet you get a few extra vitamins.
You are using up everything and letting nothing waste.
It is a great way to have items on hand for those who have very little storage space.
It is also fun and creative!  Think about using as fun gifts as well.
What do you powder and what creative way do you use it?

Have a wonderful day to each of you!!



24 comments:

  1. Good Morning Cheryl. I love dehydrating everything I can, especially my own herbs. Like you said, it can be added to so many different things. Yes, use your Ninja to make the powders. I use mine and it works wonderfully. I also suggest keeping a bag in the freezer for all of your celery leaves, bits of onions, carrots, etc. to use when you make a stock or broth. Enjoy this cool down while it lasts. I have a four day weekend and I can't wait to air the house out tomorrow while I'm home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning. I like dehydrating too. Thanks for the encouragement of the Ninja - I will use it next time.
      Oh yes, save all those scraps - they make the best broth/stock out there. Sure is better than store bought.
      Let's use it up!
      Enjoy your days off and the cool weather.

      Delete
  2. My daughter brought me a packaged snack from overseas: cashew nuts dusted with salt and mushroom powder. YUM! As she said, "who knew mushroom powder was a thing?". I need to keep an eye out for a small dehydrator. I've done the oven thing but it seems counterproductive to heat that great space, even at very low temps, when I have no air-con. Plus, I'd need a grinder, probably not my ancient blender. Guess I should be going to Yard Sales more often! :)

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds down right interesting. I bet they were good.
      Yes, watch the thrift stores or yard sales. I think I bought my little dehydrator for around $30 at Rural King years ago. It is a very simple one. The grinders I still see whenever I stop at yard sales! LOL. They are small, but do the job. Now with Lori's suggestion I will definitely use my Ninja.

      Delete
  3. Making a powder from dehydrated fruit and veg is a good idea! No danger of spoilage and easy to store. Win win! I have lots of basil to harvest and dry. Have to check the other herbs.

    It feels downright cool this morning after the last few days of heat and humidity. Going to pick beans and then do some weeding while it is not so oppressive to work outdoors.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, powders do not go to waste - nor does any food. I have basil to harvest. I look forward to working in the cooler weather.
      It did feel so cool this morning after the last many days. Windows are open!

      Delete
  4. I learn so much from you. This is truly genius and not something I've seen discussed elsewhere. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Bobi. There are so many ways to use our food sources and many ways to take up little space. I am all about using up things and getting creative. It makes me happy when people say they have learned something new.
      Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. I think my comment went to spam...

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my drying tomato skins. I makes me realize how much can be stored for winter's use.
    Our garden is not producing as good as it usually does, so most of what I am picking we are eating. However, the cukes are coming on strong so will definitely be doing pickles and relishes.
    Stocking up on what we can so as to be ready for whatever happens over the next year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can store so many things we don't think about.
      I wish my cukes were doing good - they haven't. Enjoy your fresh produce.

      Delete
  7. I have intended to do this for a long time. Maybe I will. I have glass spice jars and 2 oz pimiento jars for powders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I have a dehydrator and a small Ninja. I was just telling hubby Monday evening that I would be glad when I could pull out the dehydrator and use it. It's just been SO hot and humid here. But, I never thought about making powder with the scraps. I will have to do this! Thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure can save a lot of things from the trash and it is a great way to get vitamins. You can get fruits and veggies in people that won't eat them! Have fun.

      Delete
  9. I bought my dehydrator at a church rummage sale after my fancy one broke(it was digital & it was a gift). This one is very basic. Plug in to turn (no on/off buttons, one dial for temps). But it gets the job done. I think I paid $5. It's old but I saved my trays from the broken one and they fit. If I could find another for $5 I'd get it.

    Years ago I would dehydrate the various greens I'd get in our CSA box as no one wanted to eat them. I'd crush them into flakes and sprinkle them over salads. No one figured it out. It looked like a salad topping. Nowadays I eat all those greens so I don't dry them any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for showing how cheaply a dehydrator can be had. They don't need to be fancy at all.
      That is a smart idea. I like the idea of using them as salad fixins! Thanks, that will help others.

      Delete
  10. This is something I have never considered, I need to give myself a forehead slap. What a great thing to learn. Louise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those 'duh' days all the time! It is fun to see what you can come up with and ways to use it.

      Delete
  11. I usually make a lot of dehydrated ground parsley and mint. I wouldn't have thought about dehydrated powdered fruit, such a brilliant idea!

    In my coffee grinder, I also make sesame seeds powder, which I like to sprinkle over sandwiches, salads etc. and to make hummus with. I also grind dessicated coconut to use in curries. You really have made me thinking about dehydrating a lot more. Fruit powder sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do a lot and those are all great ideas.
      Fruit and veggie powders are wonderful to have on hand and they can both be added to so many things. I am glad to have made you look at something new and maybe you will try it.

      Delete
  12. Yes! I love making things into dust aka powder. Jalapeno dust, beet dust or beet powder. Mushroom powder. All so good. And homemade ginger powder. Oh my yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always, I just learned something with this post! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete