Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Mid-Week Musings

 Howdy-ho to all!  Another beautiful morning here in the neighborhood.  I sure am loving this weather.  I am one of those people that would love this all year long!!
The sun is shining, the air is cool, the birdies are singing and so far, all seems right in my little world.

This is me to a T!!!!!  When I saw this, I had to save it.  I know many may not feel this way - but I figure as long as I have enough, and I am comfortable - that is all I need.  I mean, no matter how much you have - you can't take it with you when you leave this earth - so in my opinion, more than enough is kind of a waste!
I have food and lodging.  I have a vehicle to get me around.  I have family and friends.  I have my health.  That is all I need.
I hope you are learning 'less is more' as well.  Life need not be complicated to be good.  A simple, less materialistic life can be wonderful.

Here is a good chart of things that will be available this month.  It is amazing how nature has a time for everything.  I love that all the apples will be coming in, in the near future.  I love some good apples.  My grapes are now done in this area.
My mouth drools when I see all these goodies.  So much yumminess to be had.  The farm markets will be bursting at the seams.  I wish I lived where there were roadside stands.  I remember when we camped, we always passed many stands, and the fresh items were always much cheaper than the markets.  We used to get so many good items.
Keep your eyes open and get things while the getting is good.
My neighbor caught me out in the yard Monday, and I was in the garden with my basket.  His comment was "picking your groceries for the week?".  Yes indeed.  I sure do love all the produce.


Here is another good chart to use, while we are all thinking about stocking up.  Those dates marked on the food items you by are merely suggestions.  They are not etched in stone.  "Best by" is not EXPIRED!!!  I wish that word was not even in the English language!
It never used to be that grocery items had dates on them.  I know as a child they did not.
The manufacturers aren't stupid - it sure is a good ploy to get people to throw away perfectly good stuff and buy new. (oh, I know people that do that too!)
Dry beans will last forever as stated, just know they may take a lot longer to cook the older they get.  They are still good; they just take longer.
Just know your things are good longer than they say!

Just a bit of this and that today.  
I hope you are getting good weather and that those that have gardens are getting lots of lovely produce.
Stay well and productive today and be blessed in every way!

Happy Wednesday!



16 comments:

  1. That Shelf Life poster is a keeper! Made me laugh though. Many years ago I used to make granola at home. One of the things I used was Barley Malt Syrup - about a tablespoon of it gave a bit of bitterness to temper the sweetness of sugar or honey. That was 40 years ago. I still have some of that syrup in the fridge, and there is nothing wrong with it except it is solid as a stone, being so cold. Talk about shelf life! Wow. :)

    MaryB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good one! I would have to say you have gotten your monies worth!!! Oh, the poster is good - but I have things much older in some areas than they say and they are still tasteful and perfect when used. Just good common sense goes a long way.

      Delete
  2. Love all your graphics this morning! I especially like the first picture. That pretty well describes the way we live. It will be copied into my quotes journal! The shelf-life poster is a valuable reference tool.

    Another fabulous day! The humidity is much lower, which is a definite plus! We took advantage of the cooler temps yesterday morning to run errands and now today I need to catch up on some of yesterday's chores. I bought chicken breasts to make dog food, so I'll cook those this morning and cut them up for the freezer. I take out a bag as needed. The dogs both have heart conditions, and the vet recommended boiled chicken breasts for their meals. That's what I feed them along with mixed veg and some sweet potato. There is a lady on Instagram whose pug was deathly ill, and she started preparing her food in this manner and the dog is healthy today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boym the first one describes me as well. Just give me the basics and I am perfectly fine.
      I love that you feed your babies well. Many people do not and the poor things pay the price. We all need to take care of our fur babies - they love us unconditionally.
      It is gorgeous out. I did a little running this morning too.

      Delete
  3. Happy Wednesday indeed. The sun is shining here, though it is a wee bit smoky out there. I'm off to keep pulling weeds in the backyard. Temperatures have cooled off since this weekend and it is lovely outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely for sure. Glad you have cooled and have sun and not rain. A wee bit smokey is better than a lot! Enjoy your day outdoors.

      Delete
  4. I have never known chocolate (of any kind) to last even a year. Which reminds me, I do need to restock. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find that chocolate lasts very long either, but do not think that has anything at all to do with Shelf Life - not at *my* house! :D

      MaryB

      Delete
    2. I have kept chocolate over a year. I have Hershey bars that I bought 3 years ago. Not sure of the expiration date but I opened one a few months ago and it was fine.

      The chocolate store near me told us their handmade chocolates last a year in the freezer. But I've kept chocolates in the pantry of various kinds for way longer.

      Delete
    3. LOL - well, I understand those who say it doesn't last that long - at least on THEIR shelves!!!! That is funny.
      I have had chocolate chips way longer than a year and they were fine. Yes, the freezer works great for chocolate as well.
      Hide it way in the back and under things - makes it last a wee bit longer!! LOL

      Delete
  5. I've used pasta older than the chart. Tea, too. Like you said common sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on pasta - I had had it for years before. I was got a deal that was 'crazy' good and bought tons. I had it forever. It was fine. Cool and dry and it lasts.
      I do believe I have had tea older too.
      Things last so long if just stored correctly.

      Delete
  6. AMEN!

    I must disagree with dark chocolate. It must not be in the pantry more than a week! 1 serving a day for good mental health ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Seems to be many think that way!
      I like a chocolate bite now and then - it just isn't something I need or crave. I know I am weird.

      Delete
  7. I really can't stand food waste, but tossing perfectly good food just because of a date is just the most ridiculous thing in my opinion. My late grandmother had OCD and she did this all the time - even before she'd reach the "use by" date! Despite her having gone through a lot during WW2 (in Europe) and the poverty that followed afterwards.
    And so, I think these dates can be quite triggering for people with mental health issues (such as OCD in my grandmother's case or other issues as orthorexia). It would be good if we got rid of those dates - so much food would be rescued by doing that alone...
    I think I just associate this with people who are mentally challenged, which makes it harder for me to understand people who aren't having such mental health issues and STILL throw shelf stable foods away just because of a date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%. I know people who do the same. If it is the date or a little before in the trash it goes. They seem perfectly well balanced in every aspect of life - but they do this. I just do not understand it at all.
      I have asked them "do you think the food knows the date?" -
      "does is it have a brain to think?". Well, they answer no - but continue to do it.
      Waste is so rampant in this world - it is so sad.

      Delete