Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Using Surplus to Make Great Meals

Midweek - here we are again.  It is a lovely morning here.  Looks to be another nice day.

Today's chat is more about using what you already have and the gifts of fall as well.  Whether you grow food, are gifted surplus goodies (I am seeing that a lot), or finding produce deals - let's have fun and eat those goodies up.  There are so many ways to fix things - there should be no boredom in meals.  Do some new things and you may find a new family favorite.

Right now many have an abundance of various things.  Winter squash, cabbage, potatoes, beets, greens, you name it.  USE IT!

When it comes to all fall veggies - roasting is a favorite for me.  Cube, slice, do whatever you like and roast them with some oil and seasonings and yum!  
You can roast individually or several types together.  Love me some roasted Brussel sprouts - or halved and sauteed in a bit of bacon grease - Mmmmmm good.

POTATOES
Think about all the many ways you can fix.  Fried, hash browns, scalloped, Au Gratin, fries, baked, boiled, in soups, in roasts w/other veggies, potato soup.............  Great for breakfast, lunch and dinner

CABBAGE
Can be fried, boiled, roasted, added to stir fry and soups.  Cut cabbage steaks and broil or roast or grill.  Make sauerkraut or slaw.  Again many uses

TOMATOES
Red or green - both have uses.  Use in your salads or just slice for a side (or a snack).  Make sauces of all kinds.  Add to pasta salads.  Green can be breaded and fried (a fav of mine).  You can make pickle relish with them.  A green tomato pie is fabulous.  Add to any meal.  I have even diced and added to veggie soup for a little different taste.

OTHERS 
Add to soups, have as sides, add to casseroles.  Add veggies to things like tuna noodle casserole or to mac n cheese to raise the level a bit.  Fresh veggies in pasta salads.  Mix together and make a new taste sensation.
What I call mixed veggie hash!  Green beans, potatoes, carrots, and ground beef all simmered (fried) together.  So good and filling.  Kind of a meal in itself.  I am a huge fan of one pot meals.  I think that would be handy for moms with kiddos and a busy schedule.

Just about all veggies can be fried.  Sure, we all make fries with regular and sweet potatoes - but other things can be fried too.  Green beans fries are a treat!  Bread and fry and you will be amazed.  Of course there is zucchini, green tomatoes, okra, carrot strips, just about anything.  I have even made fried cucumbers and pickles.  Have fun and try new things.  I also sauté corn, peppers, onions, green beans, cabbage, carrots, radish, turnips, just about any veggie.

MEAT - well use what you have or find cheaply.  Poultry and pork are decently priced right now most places.  Make up small meatballs when you can - they can be used in sauces and soups or use in kabobs with those veggies.  Chop or slice a chicken breast or a couple pork chops to use in stir fry or fried rice or soup - sure makes the meat go farther.

Think about making wraps instead of sandwiches.  Lighter calories and super easy to handle.  You can use tortillas as wraps, for burritos, enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, all sorts of things.  You can buy them cheaply or they are super easy to make.
Think about making biscuits - great as a bread for a meal, can make super breakfast sandwiches, good for a quick snack, they can be a topping to a dessert or casserole, and easy and cheap to make.

Here is a fun version of cornbread!  I love fried cornbread.  I have even eaten with butter and syrup with a side of eggs for a meal.  Cornbread is another easy and yummy bread to make.  You can eat as a side, you can put over a zesty mix-up (like chili or taco meats) and bake into a casserole.  My daddy was a fan of cornbread and milk.  I even remember my siblings talking about that being breakfast or lunch some days when times were tough.  Makes great polenta as well - I love fried slices of polenta.
BREADS of all sorts can be used in many ways.  You can use for sandwiches - I am still a big bread slices over buns kind of person.  You can make bread pudding - this can be so easy and you can add about anything you want to fun it up.  
Make your own croutons, breadcrumbs, or dressing/stuffing bread.  Stale bread is great for many of the forementioned ideas.  Think about French toast or cinnamon toast.  Covered with gravy.  many, many options. 

If you aren't a meat eater - think about adding lentils or beans to dishes to hearty them up.  It will give you protein and add that hearty feeling and taste of meat.  You can use lentils in about anything - stews, chili, soups, tacos, etc.  They are super cheap too!  Would stretch those meat dollars.

Now when you add in all the normal things we keep on hand - baking supplies, rice, dried beans, pastas, etc. - you can make just an enormous amount of meals.
NEVER turn down 'gifted' produce.  Take it - use what you can, preserve some if you are of that mindset or share with others.  Just NEVER say NO.  I had a wise elderly gentleman tell me once - whether you can use it or not - take it if offered.  One day you will need something, and if you say no enough times, you may not be considered!!  True words.

So enjoy those end of garden goodies, those last of the season farm markets, store clearances, surplus stores, etc. and get you some cheap goodies.  Hopefully you have friends and family offering fresh goodies as well.
Get creative and make GOOD EATING!  Try new things and USE WHAT YOU HAVE.  It really does help to SAVE some $$$$$.


One of my favorite meals of the summer ALWAYS!  Don't even need the meat.  I just love all the veggies and fruits I can enjoy.
Eat the COLOR and eat HEALTHY.

Have a super day!!!

19 comments:

  1. Well hello! It's good to be back, internet service was restored last night. It's been a long October, for sure. :)

    You're so right about fresh produce, I've missed it so much during this hurricane. Mainly because I had limited water to work with, except bottled water which I saved (and am still needing) for drinking.

    The food I save for frugality is not necessarily the food I want for emergency (depending on the emergency). It was quite strange to realize I wanted to have things that would be "complete meals" all in one container, stuff I usually never buy... like canned ravioli, canned soup needing no dilution, canned stew. Then there wasn't much washing up, I could heat (over a candle) and eat from the pan.

    Several weeks with no power, no water, no phone, no cellphone, no internet is quite an experience. :D

    MaryB (in NC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That just has to be so eye opening. So happy to know you are well and safe. It is amazing what we can face and get through when we have to.
      I well imagine fresh was something not easily obtainable for sure. Now that many things are getting back to a somewhat normal status (for some) - you will be able to get some things. Hoping transportation gets through and you can have stores with food again.
      It sounds like you got creative when the time required it. Smart idea - heating up canned food with a candle.
      I cannot and do not want to imagine what you guys have all been through. I just send praises to God that you are OK.
      Hon, I think you know you can make it through about anything now. Stay strong.

      Delete
    2. Compared to what others went through (total loss of homes or life) my family was only inconvenienced. It was very interesting to see communities and neighbors come together and volunteers showing up from *everywhere* - Louisiana, New Jersey, Canada, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Ohio! I've never seen so many helicopters and such heavy equipment in my life before.
      I spent a lot of time saying "Thank you, God"
      MaryB

      Delete
  2. Yes, eat the COLOR and eat HEALTHY! I like to roast beets as that process makes them even sweeter. The skins slide off and then they can be dressed however you wish. We are having a cabbage skillet meal for lunch today. Always a favorite and sometimes I add an apple. We use a lot of onions in this kitchen. We sauté the young tender green beans with crushed garlic. Wraps are a favorite around here and sometimes we use lettuce for the wrap. A sheet pan of roasted veg is also a favorite. Easy and delicious!

    Enjoy this beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your lunch sounds tasty to me. I have added apple as well. I am thinking about making some fried apples later today - that just sounds good.
      Onions - I had to learn to cook with onions for Glen, it was his one request with about everything! Now I use them all the time.
      I love wraps - just so easy, light and can be made with whatever you have around the kitchen.
      It sure is pretty out!

      Delete
  3. It's definitely time to think about roasting vegetables. I'm one of these folks who have winter foods and summer foods. :) I'm thinking meatloaf with roasted veg sounds like a great dinner for later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way. Comfort foods for winter and lighter meals in summer. Roasted veggies are so yummy. I did meatloaf burgers last week and put some back in freezer too. They tasted just like meatloaf - just no oven needed.

      Delete
  4. Mmm, that hash looks good! I’ve got an Italian soup on the stove right now. Your picture inspired me to go ahead and add some diced potatoes. Filling!
    Also, yum on the hoecakes! Love em with maple syrup🍁
    Blessings✨🍂🍁🍂
    Mary in OK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm soup is such a good fall dinner. Soup is good no matter what you add in my opinion. I love hoe cakes too. Not only are they fun to and easy to eat, but tasty!

      Delete
  5. Several restaurants have opened near me in the last few years. They serve bowl meals. Everything in one bowl with a great sauce on it.

    I do this all the time. So easy. The key is a great sauce or two. I make my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, many here do the same thing. I have made a couple versions myself. I just like things simple and don't like doing a lot of dishes! I don't mind food getting mixed up or touching - I guess some do.
      Homemade sauces are so yummy.

      Delete
  6. I love fried cornbread too, yum. I saw a recipe for roasted vegetable soup that looked interesting. She roasted all her vegetables together and then blended them up together. I have a bunch of almonds this year, so I thought I would try and candy them for to add to the hamper for Christmas presents. I'm with you on the Brussel Sprouts, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, that soup sounds wonderful. Never thought of doing it that way. What a great idea.
      Candied nuts are always a hit. I am sure everyone will love them. I would!
      Don't think there is a Brussel sprout that I have met that I didn't like!! LOL

      Delete
  7. Some great suggestions today Cheryl.
    I love that we are getting back into soup weather, it’s a great budget stretcher.
    Take care, Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, soups sure can stretch the budget and there is no limit to the things you can put in it. It can be different every time! So many options.

      Delete
  8. One thing I like to make in the fall and winter is Cream of Wheat. Make as directed on package, pour in sq, pan so the CoW is about 1-2" high. Refrigerate. When set, slice and sautee in butter and serve with maple syrup. (Thanks Granny). Cindy/WV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I may be able to eat it that way! That actually sounds tasty. That is what I do with polenta. Make it, let it set up in frig, slice and fry.
      I may give that a try. Inexpensive too. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    2. When I was a child at Summer Camp, they would serve Cream of Wheat sometimes with plain cocoa powder in it: Chocolate Cereal! Oh we were always so excited to see that. Add your own sugar, butter, cream.. Yum. :)

      MaryB

      Delete
  9. While I enjoy roasted veggie, Harvey not so much. He does love him some fried cabbage though. Nothing is going to waste here, prices are much too high for that. I am even finding pork and chicken high lately.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete