Hello and happy Sunday to all. I surely hope this finds you well and safe.
It is dry here at the moment just muggy - oh the rain has been awful this week. I am all good and feel so very blessed, but my heart goes out to so very many people.
We have areas here in the city (closer to river, but minutes away) that are flooded, there are ENTIRE towns under water, loss of businesses, homes, vehicles, farms, crops, roads and bridges, and most sadly - lives. Some are calling this a hundred-year flood, and even a couple have called it a thousand-year flood. It has just been devastating. About half of our state is a disaster area according to the governor.
I know that you gals that have survived hurricanes, can sympathize. We just aren't used to this type of weather. After today, we are to get a couple nicer and dry days.
I know I have other Hoosiers here, and some from Ohio and IL (areas have been hit bad) I just pray all are safe. Even south of here may get the flooding as the river flows south and it is at a level not seen in our lifetime.
Something cheery!!!! I took this pic at a friend's house a few years back. It just makes me smile!!!!My frugal week:
- I had a luncheon with grade school friends. Not all are from my class - just anyone that attended the school (no longer exists). I met a new lady that showed up, that graduated high school and grew up in the neighborhood with my eldest brother (he would have been 89 now). She is a doll, and I have a new friend, we talked and talked. I think she enjoyed having someone who knew the same people to talk to
- Had a spa night at home and gave myself a pedi
- Have tried to work more out front on the flower bed, as I could. Dead heading as flowers die back
- HARVEST - lots of yummies, keeping me in fresh goods
- Dehumidifier water in laundry. Does it save a lot? No - but I hate to just not use it and pour it down the drain. 6 gallons each time I use it in laundry
- Canned sweet banana peppers rings for sandwiches and pizza
- Picked up lots and lots of limbs and sticks from storms - good exercise
- Cut my hair
- Made hummy nectar
- Took apart the dehumidifier and cleaned it really well. It gets a lot of use, and I hadn't cleaned the filters in ages
- I paid my neighbors older son to come and clean all the gutters while it wasn't raining - I was having overflow in areas. They were packed solid in spots! Worth every penny
- NO grocery again this week
- Got to put a new hole in my belt! My poor jeans were drooping
- I froze some brown gravy I had left from a meal in ice cube tray - will be good in future soups
- Since I have been in the house a lot due to rain, I have started fall cleaning
- Using what I have and cooking from home
Meals this past week:
Deluxe smash burger, salad
Out to eat
Roasted cheese and tomato flatbread
Chopped steak w/gravy, jalapeno mac and cheese
Chicken tenders, tom/cuke/onion salad
Loaded nachos
Chicken/veggie wraps
SNACKS - fruit, popcorn and leftovers
I can't wait to be able to get out and cut grass this week and trim again - boy, the rain sure does make the grass and weeds grow! It looks awful - but I am fortunate that I have a lawn to mow.
I hope you are all safe, healthy and doing well. Please check in and let us know that you doing well and SAFE! There have been so many storms and bad weather happening all over.
I hope you all had a great week - let us know of any deals, ideas, or things that have saved you money this week.
I wish you all a safe and healthy week ahead.
Blessings to you and yours from me at my humble little home.
*************************


Prayers for all of those hit by floods in Midwest and fires in the West! Goodness! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteFrom your mouth to God's ears. It sure is something.
DeleteI hope your new job is going well.
Have a great week.
My heart goes out to all dealing with natural disasters. Another 38mm of rain fell last wk; certainly manageable. The ground water has dropped as evidenced by the septic pump not kicking in every 3 hrs. The week was filled w/ gardening - weeding perennial bed; hoeing tomatoes & fertilizing; grass cutting; picking peas & beans. Renewed my driver's license - new format combining license w/ citizenship ID & health care #. My son's job brought him an hour away so I joined him for supper at his campground. Enjoyed lunch w/ friends & a coffee visit w/ another friend that I ran into when we were out & about. I love having the time to enjoy these impromptu gatherings. In the kitchen: chocolate chip cookies; pickled eggs; egg salad; creamed garden veg & bbq trout; turkey soup; taco salad; zucchini muffins; pasta salad. Have a good week, Cheryl & all.
ReplyDeleteGlad your rain hasn't been devastating. Sounds like a good week. How nice to have outings with those you care about.
DeleteAll your kitchen goodies sound wonderful.
Have a lovely week.
Cheryl, I saw some of the news coverage of the flooding in your area and it is heartbreaking. I hope the rain is over but I know that may not be the end of rivers rising. Many people (I include myself) don’t realize the power of Mother Nature until it hits home. Years ago my friend’s niece in New Jersey lost her home to Super Storm Sandy. I knew it was bad but didn’t understand the devastation until we had Hurricanes Helene and Milton one month apart in 2024. In my area thousands of people were flooded. Some have still not recovered. I was blessed to only have a giant mess of tree debris to clean up.
ReplyDeleteMy only frugal savings this week (and month) was keeping my a/c at 78 overnight and 80 during the day. I’ll get my electric bill in a few days and I’m satisfied that I’ve done what I can to keep it “low.” It was still 84 outside last night at 10:45 when I went to bed.
Here’s a “shocking” price increase I saw this week. Hefty 30-gallon strong (not extra strong) cinch sacks, 56 count, are $21.79 at Publix, up 4.30 (25%) from $17.49 when I last checked the price increase in December 2025. Of course plastic is an oil-based product. Walmart’s price online is $20.24 so about $1.50 cheaper but I believe Publix will be cheaper when there is a sale. When I first started my list in May 2025 the bags were $15.49 with a sale price of $13.29. Thankfully I have four unopened boxes and two open boxes (total will last me at least two years) but I’m going to start looking for sales. Barbara M.
Mother nature can sure pack a wallop. I don't think any us really think about what nature can do. Wind and water and fire are just horrible.
DeleteI keep my AC at 78* as well. It is much cooler than outdoors!
I need to get trash bags this coming week or soon - that is a big increase. I didn't think that they went up that much - dang.
Sounds like you are prepared. It always pays to have extra and watch for sales.
Have a special week.
Much sympathy for the flooded folks. That's so disheartening, water water everywhere. Here's a prayer that repairs and reconstruction will occur soon and smoothly. Excellent prayer, Cheryl.
ReplyDeleteMaryB
For sure on the rain and the grass. I try (but don't always make it), to mow before the rain. Missed it this go. Very sad about so much water damage. Not fun at all.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly has been a bad year for extreme weather, fires, floods, hurricanes, have devastated so many areas. I do hope that those impacted will find their way through these challenges with assistance from family, friends and the authorities.
ReplyDeleteYour luncheon with former schoolmates sounds fun. I live too far away to meet with any I knew but there is still FB to allow some to keep in touch.
Excellent devotional! "Guide us each one to be our best person." This should be the prayer of each of us.
ReplyDeleteThe flooding is of biblical proportions! I feel so bad for those whose homes, vehicles and personal belongings have been destroyed. It's hard to imagine starting over. I heard the comment about it being a thousand year flood too.
What fun meeting a lady who knew your brother. There is an almost immediate bond with those connections. We run into people who knows someone we know all the time. There is a lady who works at Fresh Thyme Farmer's Market in Avon, and Erin's neighbor used to work for her at a bowling alley in Greenwood a few years ago.
Yay on a new hole in your belt! The Farmer said he doesn't recognize the peppers. I need to pickle some of our banana peppers. They have performed the best this summer. We have potatoes about to be harvested and green beans growing like crazy. We are going to miss all this.
See you on Tuesday!