Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Crafting on My Mind

 Good morning all.  Hope you are all well and safe.  Thank you for visiting today.
It was 77*F when I got up before dawn this morning.  It is going to be another very hot one.  I have set for a bit this morning watching all the kitties out back playing and having a ball watching birds.  They get their playing out in the morning and then after dusk - in the cooler parts of the day right now. Otherwise, they lay in the shade and rest.
Rocky the racoon played havoc with things last night.  Their water bowls were dirty, then the birdbath of the handrail was knocked half off and the water bowl on the hose case was knocked off.  You can tell it was him, because of the dirty water.  Aaarrgh!  So, I had to get things back in order - this has happened twice in the past few days.

Here we are in September now - I am sorry to mention it, but the holidays aren't that far off.  I start thinking about crafting in September, because it is nice to get things done and ready so there is no rushing around at the holidays.
Laura at harvest Lane Cottage even mentioned this is National Sewing Month.  So yep, it is time.
You mentioned you liked that cut patchwork pillow I showed last week in a post - a very simple yet cute item to make.  Something like that would be great for adults or make a version for a teen.  
There are lots of fun things to make.  I have been looking and keep pictures of ideas of things I might like to make for others.  Some for kiddos and some for adults - some fun and some practical.
Here are a few.
Another cute pillow idea using a variety of old jeans.  You could also make a smaller version using a pocket for the 'tooth fairy'.  Or one with a pocket for their phone or a hidden keepsake spot.  So many ideas.
A  cute purse or tote.  Use Velcro as a closure at top if making a purse (or a snap) - big or small - would make nice reusable grocery bags.  Looks like a pocket in front - great place for a grocery list on a shopping bag!
Great idea for kiddos room for art supplies or tiny toys.  How about someone who does scrap booking or sewing.  Would work on maybe a smaller size for the kitchen for small utensils - or heck, even bigger to hold packets and such.
I love this - I have 2 littles that always like helping mommy bake - so thinking about some version of it for both of them.  I would even like one - any cat lover would.
This would be much easier to make - looks so cute.  I just love the country look.  I can see it as a gift with maybe a couple spatulas in the pockets or some measuring spoons - so many ways to present it.

Cute ideas for the youngsters.  Cuddle buddies!!!!
There are so many ways to use fabric scraps, old clothes that no longer get worn (cut them up), finding fabrics for cheap at thrift stores, remember you can use old sheets and pillowcases for fabric as well.

Just some cute ideas to get started now.  Most are quite easy and would only cost pennies to make.
If you are looking for or need an idea that is special for that person, who has everything - bet they don't have something cute like these ideas.
I feel for people that don't like getting homemade items - I know some people don't.  Boy, I do, as I know a lot of thought and love was put into it.

Are you crafting anything already for the holidays?  My canning will be part of the baskets again this year.  Soon to be making jelly and salsa - always expected.
I really do want to get some sewing done early as well.  Heaven knows I have a ton of fabrics and scraps to choose from.

Have a beautiful day and stay cool and safe.


8 comments:

  1. I have a tub of doll clothes from when I was a child, and my grandmother and great grandmother made a lot of them. One of my winter projects is to go through it and figure out something to make with the fabric as a keepsake for myself. I'll probably have to do two different things because my grandmother always used a lot of pastel colors while my great grandmother used very bold colors and patterns. Stay cool! It is supposed to hit 106 here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you applique them to quilt blocks? Or mount them in frames on a pretty coordinated fabric matte? I think it's wonderful you still have these..what a keepsake!

      Delete
    2. How cool you still have all those clothes.
      I agree a shadow box (es) would be cute - lace or linen backdrops. Applique on to quilt blocks as Linda said - make a pillow or two if not wanting to do a quilt.
      How about a large frame - rectangular - and use a plain backdrop - and make a piece work or patch clothes collage of a Christmas tree to hang during the holidays. You could add some little jewels or old pieces of jewelry or buttons for ornaments.
      Really thinking out of the box - a denim jacket with a neat display of them in some form on the back. Like a kaleidoscope!
      YOU stay cool - dang that is hot!

      Delete
    3. Linda and Cheryl, thank you for all of the great ideas. There was no way I could get rid of them knowing my grandmothers made them and the fabric is so much better quality than you can buy now.

      Delete
  2. Dastardly raccoon! He needs to go someplace else for his smorgasbord.

    Such cute handcrafts! Good way to use up scraps or fat quarters. I remember my mom making little kitty pillows for patients at a children's hospital unit. I'm not sure I still have one. I think my girls loved it to death. Linda at Linda's Life Journal blog makes jeans quilts.

    Gonna be another hot one, but not as hot as some places. The Farmer goes out to water early in the morning. Hopefully his "fall" crops will be okay. We weren't expecting summer to continue in all its heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thing is it isn't getting anything to eat here. No cat food outside after dark - it doesn't seem to like garden or even squirrel corn - it is just a pain in the rump.
      That is a cute idea - little huggable pillows for a children's hospital. I like jean quilts.
      Yep, it is going to be hot - I am over it! LOL No snow is wanted, but 20 degrees cooler would be appreciated.

      Delete
  3. These are all so cute! I wish a million times that sewing was one of my strong points, but sadly, it is not. Now you have me thinking ahead for the holidays. I need to get busy planning. It will be here before we know it! Had to laugh about your backyard critters making a mess, haha! But, we do love our animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - good to hear from you. These are all very simple projects and even a beginner could do them. Sew squares together and then, throw it all together. You could do it.
      It is getting closer every day, and time to get to thinking about things.
      I do love the animals, but I wish this particular one would go elsewhere to make his messes! Keep in touch!!!

      Delete