Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Saving Money at the Store? It is Still Possible

 Good day to all.  I hope you are all well and safe. Thanks for being here.
It is autumn!!!!  It feels it too.  60*F this morning and going to get in the upper 60's.  Big change from last week.  We will see 70's as highs later in the week.
Monday, I woke to rain, and decent rain.  I even had to wait to go feed the kitties!  Finally, it died down to a sprinkle, so I fed most of them in the greenhouse.  Momma was home, and not happy about going in there with me, so she ate outside in the sprinkles.  Crazy cat.  They were almost 2 hours late getting their breakfast - and they were HUNGRY!  Monday was cloudy all day, and never got past about 69*F.  Heat and AC off.


I keep seeing posts and people complaining about prices - sure they are getting high - but we still have some control.  We control WHAT we buy!!!  We control HOW we use those things.
There are ways to cut back on spending and what you use.
You know me - other than pet supplies, I do NOT pay full price for anything.  I either buy on sale or clearance.  I am fortunate to have a store that has great clearance prices.  I would do the same with pet supplies if I could find them - and when I do see clearance on them - I buy all they have!

Amish, Mennonite and other ethnic type stores are good to shop if you have them around.  Discount grocers are also nice if you can find one.
We recently (in past couple years) - had a discount place open, and they have prices like no other.  I have some friends that are on very strict budgets, that buy all their fresh goods there.  I go once in a while, and I do go around the holidays for gift ideas.  They sell everything from food to patio supplies, garden tools, and toys and clothes.
You gals close around - Circle City Bargains!  (they are on FB)

Just a couple ads from earlier this month.  They have new ads every weekend.  Prices and quality can't be beat.

Buy in season.  Now is the time or close to it, for apples, pumpkins, winter squash, cabbage, sweet potatoes, soon there will be turkey, cranberries, baking supplies. There will also be deals for campfire cookouts.
I like to stretch things up with potatoes, carrots, onions, pasta, rice and beans of all sorts.

Have meatless dinners or lower the amount of meat in the dinner.  Cut up chicken or pork or beef into smallish pieces and add a gravy or sauce.  A little will go a lot further.  Always use less than a recipe says!
Think semi-homemade.  Remember the cooking show with Sandra Lee - Semi Homemade?  She mixed it up a lot, so it was easier for some folks, who really didn't like cooking.  A bit of whole food and a bit of canned, frozen, or boxed.  Whatever works.
Get CREATIVE with what you have.  There are so many sites that you can visit that give you ideas - type in what you have - it gives you recipes and meal ideas.

Can't eat pasta or rice (or chose not to), spiral cut zucchini or sweet potatoes or other fall veggies .  Top chopped cauliflower or other veggies with sauces.  Make your own egg noodles.  Baked potatoes are great smothered in things.  No limit on types of potatoes you can make.
Waste nothing - use it all up in some form.

There is a You Tube channel called Ozark Family Homestead, and she has a $900/month food budget for her family of 9.  She uses that to replenish or fill in what she needs each month.  Now that may sound like a lot - but it is $100 per person per month = $25 each week per person.  It covers meat, produce, frozen and canned, H & B, cleaning and paper.  And yes, she even buys some snacks - she has 7 kiddos for goodness sakes.  She strictly sticks to the budget, watches sales and buy tons of sale and clearance items.  Not much full price.  It is pretty inspiring.

It is all about using what you have, getting sales and deals on the rest and stretching it into new and different items.
IF your budget gets stretched to the max - just try thinking outside the box.  It may seem like an inconvenience to many, but only WE can take control, and WE need to re-learn or actually learn things and skills that can help.
It can be done.  I know this isn't for everyone - but it sure is good to know when strapped.

Tomorrow I will be giving a lot of meals ideas and foody ideas that will help stretch any budget and pantry.

Have a lovely first day of autumn!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. We are feeling the cooler weather here too and no AC. Your local store has some great deals. My local Jewel store is where we find some great sales for produce mostly. I made some Great Northern beans in my instant pot and made some Tuscan beans with some of the beans and froze the rest in "can-size" baggies. I look forward to your food ideas in your next post. Darcy

    ReplyDelete