Hello to all and welcome to September!!!! Can you believe it? How can 8 months already be gone in this year? I know many love this time of the year - the 'ber' months. They can be enjoyable, but around here we are anything but brrrrrrr this week! Today should be the hottest day of the YEAR, if they predict correctly! Yeah, saying 94/95*F actual temps today. ICK. It is going to be hot all week before cooling about 10 degrees for next. Last year we had no 90's after this point - won't be the case this year!!!
It did feel nice out there this morning, but I am sure it won't last long. Glad there is plenty of shade and water for the kitties.
We can do better - it just takes a little bit of work. We can make the biggest part of our groceries! What does that mean? It means using INGREDIENTS - not premade convenience foods. It means just buying ingredients at the grocery, and looking for better places to get those groceries.
I know - because it will be said - there are those that just aren't going to do this. They like the convenience. Yes, it is nice at times, but it sure isn't as healthy. This is for those trying for a healthier lifestyle and saving a bit of change. Convenience is costly!
By saying ingredients - I mean things like sugar, flour, baking needs, beans, rice, pasta, plain meat, vinegar, cocoa, peanut butter (I know you can make as well) fruit, veggies - items that can be made into multiple things.
We can make dry mixes to have on hand for things like biscuits, bread, waffles, pancakes, pie crust, pizza crust, sweets, tortillas, cake/brownie mixes, etc. It makes it quick and easy to make things at home - just add wet. Keeps us from being tempted to go shop.
With many of these things, you can make other things. BREAD - croutons, dressing, crumbs, etc. TORTILLA - can be burritos, wraps, tacos, enchiladas, even chips.
Not good at making pretty pies? Make a galette. Super easy, tasty and rustic. You can use any fruit, One crust folded around the fruit, an egg wash w/a bit of sugar on crust and bake. YUM and so easy.
I am not saying we don't buy things at stores - just buy more basic things. Frozen veggies and fruits (plain) work great for all sorts of things. They are usually flash frozen and just plain. Canned - look at the label. You want things packed in water or fruit juice - no added ingredients.
You can use in conventional ways, or get creative.
Make your own sauces, syrups, jelly, relishes, butters, purees, etc.
Find a deal on cranberries after Thanksgiving? Make relish or juice or sauce and freeze or can for later.
Pumpkins - make puree to make pies later on.
Apples - sauces, eating, pies, baked goods, etc.
Too much zucchini - pickles, relish, dehydrate, grate for bread, etc.
You see what I mean - get creative.
These things are all so very easy to dehydrate to use for later. I have many of them on hand. You don't have to have a dehydrator or a fancy machine - you can use the oven (on low), some can air dry, and I have heard some say they use air fryers (I haven't tried that).
I have mushrooms, zucchini, celery and bananas at the moment and herbs. I have made jerky very successfully in the past. I have also done peppers and onions (they do smell - so I did those outside).
You can freeze things - you can can things.
All these things can be used quickly in soups! The most basic (an inexpensive) thing we can make!!!!
I can make any type of beans or legumes from dry ones - it just takes planning. I have rice and pastas to go with all things. I have dried potatoes (flake and cubes). Meats of all sorts - whatever type of meat you have or can afford - think of multiple ways of serving it, so you don't get bored. I mean there are probably a hundred ways to use ground meats - pork, chicken, or beef can be fixed dozens of ways.
Shoot you can even make your own laundry soap if you desire. That is one thing I have never done - because of great sales - I always have plenty. I do buy free and clear - because I can't do the perfumes.
Truly there isn't much we can't make from just basic INGREDIENTS!
COOKBOOKS is another thing we all need! Paper hard copy cookbooks. You never know when you won't have the Internet to count on - have those books. They are tried and true recipes for just about anything you can count on!
So think about these things and get ready for winter. It may keep you plenty full, on days when weather doesn't permit you getting out and it may actually save you some money. I think many of us older gals know these things (some may not) but I hope it helps someone get some ideas. These are great ideas, when feeding a family - such a savings.
Have a wonderful day and remember how blessed you truly are.



I was reading a quilter blog this morning. She showed a food label-sugar laden 'BRAN MUFFINS'. Says that most everything she buys is sugar laden. I so very rarely buy prepared foods that I don't see it. On the occasion I buy muffins, it's at Costco for a sweet treat!
ReplyDeleteWe are thankfully OUT of the hot summer mode. Even going to get rain this week. We had a few drops in the recent 45 days! Not enough to wet the patio.
Happy Tuesday everyone.
So much of what we buy is sugar laden - it is hard to find things w/o sugar. All our condiments have sugar in them, tomato sauce - things you wouldn't think of. Look at a lot of soups - sugar added.
DeleteI do like sweets like the next gal - but it is a real treat and it isn't often. I feel so much better, with not eating a lot of sugar.
I am glad you summer mode is gone - I found it - it is here!
Hope you get a nice rain.
Interesting. I don't buy canned soups and I make/can my own tomato sauce from the garden and/or cook down my canned tomatoes to thicken. If I buy a cookie, I will go to Crumbl and pay a small fortune for ingredients I would use at home. I have no self-control so don't bake at home or I'd gain back my 75#!
DeleteNo rain so far. So much for 2pm yesterday........
I try to make my own soups as well, but I do keep a few cans around for in case (maybe being sick). I love sweets and totally understand no restraint. If I buy something, I am the person that can't spread it out - I eat it all quickly! LOL
DeletePrayers for rain.
Beef bones are being prepared, as we speak, for broth. I used to say we were the original organic farmers; if we didn't grow it, kill it or pick it, we didn't eat! I'm forever reminded of how hard my mom worked to preserve food for a family of 5. We ate so well & it's only as an adult that I appreciate it.
ReplyDeleteGood for you. That is how I grew up as well. Mom got her baking needs at the store and most meat - but otherwise it was from home and grown and canned/frozen.
DeleteWe were not wealthy at ALL - but we ate really well.
By the way - great minds - I spent the morning doing a small batch canning.
I agree 100% with all of this. I know a lot of people say I don't like to cook; this all takes too much time or eating like this is too expensive. I do not think eating like this is more expensive but actually cheaper even with buying local. I get not liking to cook but everyone needs to eat and I would think learning to cook would be worth it. I was used to home cooked food growing up and when I moved away, I really missed the food, so I decided to learn to cook and put to work everything my family had taught me. Good health is so important and eating unprocessed, good food is a major factor to that. The genetic heart issue that TBG has didn't cause him any issues until he turned 75. The doctor said it usually effects people as young as 45-50 and that him eating well and being active is what kept him so healthy for so long.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't cost more - I find it cheaper as well. It tastes so much better.
DeleteI know people say I don't know how to cook - no one taught me - well you can read and follow instructions - you can cook! I get not liking to, but a good simple meal takes so little time.
Health and good health is the biggest frugal thing we have! It is FRUGAL to stay healthy. Your hubby goes to show it helps.
I recently changed things up here and I feel so much better and I truly have more energy at this age, than I have had for years. Keep up the good work!
I certainly was not taught to cook - my mom disliked cooking and wanted nobody in the kitchen with her, distracting her from the job she struggled with. I don't enjoy cooking in summer because of heat, but I like what I cook and try to keep it simple. Fresh veggies and fruits are my favorites. :)
ReplyDeleteMaryB
BUT you learned!!! I don't mind cooking anytime - I have AC and that keeps it nice. I do keep meals much simpler in summer - salads and fruits and veggies. Loving those things is healthier too.
DeleteAnd further to your point about frozen vegetables, they by law must be processed and frozen within a very few hours of being harvested. And bonus, you can use as much or little as you need and the rest is ready for another day. And nothing tastes as good as home made.
ReplyDeleteTotally - I am a fan of frozen veggies. If I can't get fresh on some things, I want frozen. I do get some canned, but prefer frozen.
DeleteNothing like home cooking in my opinion.
Most teenagers and young adults don't know how to cook with ingredients and I doubt that they will ever learn. Most of the cooking demos on the internet use a lot of ingredients such as refrigerated roll and biscuit dough, cream cheese (a whole block!) and, of course, Cool Whip for dessert. Not to mention a lot of other fattening "ingredients" that cost a fortune.
ReplyDeleteI have watched those videos as well. I am a by the seat of my pants kind of cook - I just add what sounds and tastes good. I am not a big recipe follower.
DeleteWell, at some point the youngins may go hungry! There may come a day that fast food and restaurants are out of their pay grade - and then what? I guess they will eat junk, not be healthy and pay for it in another way.
I still say there is no excuse to not learn to cook.
It's those long chemical names that always pull me up short whenever I read a label showing ingredients. Most of us wouldn't know if it had added sugar or added strychnine and I am sure that the manufacturers are happy that we don't know.
ReplyDeleteAt least if you buy an apple you can wash off any pesticide residue. You can't wash nasty additives out from a jar of apple sauce.
You got that right. They don't want us to know. I agree fresh is the best - and home grown or from someone you know is even better.
DeleteAll those unknown ingredients are what has made us a much less healthier world in part.
Lots of interesting food tips! I pinned the poster to my Canning and Preserving Board on Pinterest. That's a good place to store information.
ReplyDeleteIf I can't pronounce it, let alone understand an ingredient, most likely I won't buy the product. Give me good old ordinary food, preferably fresh and raised either by the Farmer or an another gardener.
We went over to Home Depot off 38th Street and High School Road this morning to look at some carpet runners on sale. Found a really pretty one, on sale!, and came home to take up the old, raggedy ones and put the new ones down. Such a difference!
It sure was hot today! Looks like it will be that way for a few more days at least.
Thanks - I always hope something will give someone an idea. That is why I am here. I like the good old fashioned fresh stuff too. Those big named ingredients send me running.
DeleteYay, how nice you found something you liked and on sale as well. One little new thing can change how you feel.
Yep, it is a scorcher.
My daughter is having her first baby in November and she has been planning on making some freezer meals for those first few weeks after the baby is born. She sent me a list of about 7 things and asked if it was doable. I suggested that she make one freezer meal each week. She loved that idea. Every idea she sent were from scratch and homemade. And yes, summer is still up and running this week. Very hot! Darcy (NanaD)
ReplyDeleteSmart thinking and planning ahead. That is a good idea - doing one or two a week seems much more manageable. She and the family will have lots of good food, with little effort at that special time. Congrats to all.
DeleteIt sure is hot! Summer not over for a while here!
Great post! I’m looking forward to cooler weather and hunkering down with homemade food. This past year had us doing a lot of takeout, which I was very thankful for, but I’m ready to do better. 😊
ReplyDeleteI am over this intense heat for sure. Cooler would be great - just not ready for cold!
DeleteI can understand the take-out, you had more important things to think about. It is nice when needed and has its place. Hope you can get into a better practice and start making some good wholesome food - you need to take care of you now!!!!
I just cleaned out my pantry (yay me!) And found I was getting low on broths. I keep some store bout and cubes just in case...So I put broth on my monthly groceryl ist. Well then I went out to the freezer to clean it out and straighten it up. Needless to say, I found two chicken carcusses in the and they are on the stove as we speak for homemade broth! Much yummier and nutritious! I am on an organizing spree right now. I guess you'd call it "sall" cleaning, lol.
ReplyDeleteYay - yes, good for you. It is always good to know what you might be getting low on. Another Yay, of the chicken carcasses! Homemade is so nutritious and tastes so good.
DeleteYou go gal, organize and straighten away - it is always fun to see what you find along the way!