Hello all. This month has sure just slipped away. I hope all are doing well this fine day.
We have been in late October for 2 days!!! It sure looked and felt like it - but we are rebounding and all is good.
60's this morning and looking to get to 70*F or higher today. Maybe we will see sun!
During the winter I have a portable charger that I take with me. It has helped me and a couple of other ladies that needed help over the years. I also have AAA. I have never had a debit card - so no ATM. I make sure I get gas in daytime.
With winter coming, make sure you have maybe some extra socks, gloves and a hat - even a wrap in the car. I wouldn't break down anywhere, that I wouldn't be close to a well lit and busy area - but still may get feet or hands wet. Especially if you live rural - have things in the car to stay warm.
Make sure the path to your home is cleared and well lit. If you are coming back after dark - have either a motion light or just turn on an outside light before you leave. Make sure bushes and trees are trimmed up, so there are no sneaky hiding places for someone to be. Unlock - get in - and lock your doors immediately.
Keep your car LOCKED while you are in it. Don't entertain strangers in a parking lot. You just never know, and sadly today there are many that have evil on their minds!
Keep your doors locked. Keep windows locked. I open my windows during the day, and I have stops if I leave them open later after dark. They only can go up so far, and not far enough that even a skinny person could get in! I always have outer doors locked - even in the daytime.
My personal tip: I always keep my keys and my phone in my pocket when out in public. IF someone would get my purse, I would still have a phone to use, and I could still get home.
Just be safe and ALWAYS look over your shoulder. It only takes an instant.
SMILE and STAY SAFE!!!!!!


I love all 4 seasons we have here in the mountains of the NW. What I don't like? Not being able to walk at 0600. THAT is the best part of high summer. Yes, safety first!
ReplyDeleteAGREE! I loved going out early when no one else was around or later in the evening and visiting with neighbors. Now it is dark so late and so early - I don't like that at all.
DeleteI’ve never thought about keeping my key in my pocket. Great idea!!
ReplyDeleteI just feel if someone gets the purse, they aren't getting my ride home, nor my phone to call police or help with.
DeleteAnother tip or two, always look into your car windows before getting in and once in the car, manually lock your doors immediately.
ReplyDeleteYES! I agree with both of those. Thanks.
DeleteI rarely go out after dark. I’m at the far western edge of the Eastern time zone so it doesn’t get as dark as early here as, say, New England.
ReplyDeleteI keep my keys in my pocket but keep my phone in my handbag in a zipper compartment. I wear my handbag cross-body style. I keep my grocery list on paper, not on my phone, and only take my phone out at the checkout for them to scan my loyalty card (Winn-Dixie) or recently pay with Apple Pay (likely won’t do that regularly since I earned my $10 bonus). About 15 years ago my wallet was stolen in Aldi. I had my bag on my shoulder but the bag closed with a snap. It happened so fast. I learned my lesson.
About 7-8 years ago a guy came up to me in the side yard when I was working and said he was with the electric company working on tree trimming. I had gone out through the back porch. At first I believed him and walked toward the back with him then realized he was lying. His partner was at my front door which was locked. I screamed obscenities at them, didn’t have my phone on me but got his license plate number in my memory, wrote it down and called the sheriffs office. Turns out those guys had broken into another house a few miles away the previous night and got a safe with $5k. Those people had not realized they were scammed until after the fact and only had a description of the guy. Guy was a career criminal from south Florida who had been given lenient sentences in the past. I gave a video deposition (Covid). He is now in jail for 15 years. It was a plea bargain. I’m glad I didn’t have to testify at an actual trial. (I got a commendation letter from the state attorney’s office.) Barbara M.
It is rare that I am out after dark - unless riding with someone. They always wait for me to get inside.
DeleteI do my handbag cross-I try style as well. I had a purse stolen decades ago - but luckily had my license in my pocket. Still was a pain. I try to use a much smaller bag and again cross-style (generally under my jacket/coat) when out shopping around the holidays - too many crazies out there.
Great example of see something - say something! I may sound paranoid, but I lock my doors when I go in the back yard or in the garage. My outside doors are always locked even when I am in the house. I have protection, but I am not a young woman and could probably be man handled easily.
Glad the guy got prison time. If people would work as hard at something legit as they do cheating people, it would be a much better and safer world!!!!!
I try to not carry a purse everywhere - it's too tempting for some. Maybe a waist pack would do? But yes, keep keys in pocket. Never thought about keeping phone in pocket also, but good idea. I also carry my card case in my pocket.
ReplyDeleteI try not to be out at night, but sometimes it just works out that I must be. I have a mini flashlight on my keyring and it's very useful.
MaryB
I have a couple of 'fanny' packs that I still use. Maybe be old-fashioned, but I don't care. I think they are coming back into style! Good to keep you card case on you too.
DeleteYES, another good idea -- a mini flashlight. I have one in my purse always.
Please be aware that if the Fanny pack has side release buckles that are at your side or back a thief may try to open them by pressing the sides. Just an fyi.
DeleteGood tip! I do always try to put mine through my belt loops just like my belt.
DeleteIt is so sad that we live in a world where we have to take these precautions because we fear what other people could do to us. I grew up in a farmhouse - there were no locks on our doors and windows. Occasionally someone would steal gas from our tank, but that was it. Dad always said they must have needed it.
ReplyDeleteI'm grateful that I rarely have to think about my safety, I tend to take it for granted. Though I don't drive at night, because my night vision is poor, I did walk home from the library last night - a very short walk - in the dark. Perhaps it is simply a benefit of living in a small community.
It sure is. We never locked doors growing up either.
DeleteI think we all take it for granted. I live in a sweet neighborhood with very nice people, but there are always strangers that come around. I have night blindness too, that is why I hate driving at night.
Be safe if out walking after dark. Stuff happens in the nicest places!
When I was in late grade school I often came home to an empty house. Key? No, I had no key, never had a key for that house. And we lived In The City! How times change. Alas.
DeleteMaryB
Yep - the times have sure changed.
DeleteSadly, your post is very timely! Too many loonies out there. Erin says that if she is walking back to her car after dark, she makes sure to talk to one of her friends on the phone so they know where she is. Her friend Josh is 6'3; 240, so he would be a good physical deterrent. We keep our front door locked at all times. Also, be sure to remove the garage door remotes from the car. With the privacy fence, we feel fairly comfortable about keeping the patio door open. I rely on Psalm 91. He sends His messengers to look after us.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely fall-ish today! I am going to pull out my fall/winter clothes. Summer pjs just aren't cutting it at night. More beans to pick, some other piddly small jobs to be done outside...always.
Enjoy your weekend!
Now with the shorter daylight hours, it is timely. We tend to forget and get complacent. It is good to have someone walk with her. Good idea on the garage remotes.
DeleteGod is with us daily, but we still need to cautious and do our part.
I have on socks, slippers and a cardigan. Have fun outdoors.
Thanks for the heads up, Donna. I didn’t even think about not keeping my remote for the garage in the car on the visor for all to see.
DeleteI don't worry about being out in our neighborhood after dark, but I no longer shop alone at night like I used to. If I am going to an event or meeting friends at a restaurant I will suck up the cost for valet parking.
ReplyDeleteShopping alone at night is not a good idea! Be careful - stuff happens in the best of neighborhoods. I watch too many crime shows!
DeleteYou know I know of no place even remotely close by that has valet parking anymore!
My hospital offers free valet parking and I am so grateful to not have to park in a distant place and have to walk or be by myself while still healing and in a parking garage alone with no one about.
DeleteJulie V
DeleteJulie glad you have that available. Hospitals should all have valets.
DeleteOur hospital will have a security guard walk you to your car in the parking lot after dark if you request it. It doesn’t hurt to ask!
DeleteAsking costs nothing!
DeleteYep, we do live in a world where one needs to be aware of all around us. I usually stick close to home in the evenings or only go to places that are well lit. Living in a small city while we do have the problems as found in larger centers, they are not as prevalent at this point in time.
ReplyDeleteI have always threaded my key through my fingers, something that I have done since going to uni. Can use that to hit the eyes of anyone who is attacking. I also learned in self defense classes as women we should hit the ground and use our legs to protect ourselves. Most of our strength is in our legs and not our arms. Also learned to scream fire instead of help as more people will come to that cry than the other.
God bless.
All great tips! Thank you for the reminders. I remember doing that with my keys when going to the university and had to walk to the car at night and when I worked some nights. I was always told to go for the eyes first too.
DeleteSmart, legs are usually our strongest body part.
I fill up the floor area for passenger seat as well as the floor area of back seat with boxes. Would make it much more difficult for someone to just slip in…no place for their feet!
ReplyDeleteWell that is quite ingenious! I would never have thought of that!
DeleteThanks
The last point on your list is a good one. Too many women walk around staring at their phones, even after dark. I have also seen women running in the dark with headphones on, which seems like utter madness to me.
ReplyDeleteI am another person who was taught to keep my keys in my hand and to shout fire rather than help. People will come out much quicker to see what is happening if they think there may be a threat to their house/workplace.
YES, headphones do give entertainment, but they sure are a distraction. You need to be TOTALLY aware of your surroundings, and hearing them is important.
DeleteSad that people are more concerned about a building than a person! But that is what works.
Great tips for safety! I am so grateful that this fall and winter I am working from home, so no traveling to or from work in the dark. I was always taught to walk like you are going somewhere, not with your head down or looking distracted. Another thing I have learned was when I'm behind another car at a traffic light to make sure I can see their tires in front of me. That way if something if should happen you can pull out from behind them and get away. We also have several solar lights in our yard; one has a motion sensor light. Darcy
ReplyDeleteGlad you get to stay home. We should always be aware - it is so important.
DeleteThat is a good tip about pulling up behind another vehicle. I had not heard that - but would also be helpful I would think should you get rear ended. MAYBE the car ahead would be ok.
I have a dusk to dawn light on my garage and it lights the drive and side door (the one I always use). It also lights the back of my house. Solar lights as well - although not a lot of use the past few days. It has been so cloudy during the day = they don't last long.
With regards to the garage remote: The "home" directions on the car navigator should not include home address but a public place, i.e. school. If the car is stolen, it won't lead the thief to the residence, where entry can be gained to the attached garage.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good idea. :)
ReplyDeleteMaryB
Those are wonderful safety tips. We live in a small community now and I feel so safe here but I still close and lock things. Have a wonderful weekend. xo Diana
ReplyDelete