Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Homemade Cheese Goodies

Last week we talked about homemade vs. store bought.  Homemade is always better in my opinion.
I just love knowing what is in the food we are eating.

Here are a couple of easy cheese recipes that I think you will enjoy.  Simple ingredients and no artificial stuff added.



PIMENTO CHEESE
2 C shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 C mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 jar (4 oz.) diced pimentos (drained)

Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix till thoroughly blended (use paddle if you have one).  Salt and pepper to taste.  I put mine in the Ninja (blender) and pulse 2 - 3times.  It makes it a little smoother blend (how we like it).  This is so yummy!!!!



VELVEETA
1 1.2 C water - very hot
1/2 C instant  (dry) milk PLUS 1 Tablespoon
1//4 oz. envelope of unflavored gelatin (1 1/2 tsp.)
1 1/2 lbs. shredded cheddar cheese

Line a 8 x 4  loaf pan with plastic wrap.
In a blender mix 1/2 C very hot water - 3 Tbsp. of dry milk and 1/2 tsp. of gelatin.  Blend well.
Quickly add 1/2 pound of cheese and whip.  Pour into pan.

Repeat the above process 2 more times until all ingredients have been used.
Cover with plastic and refrigerate.  Keep refrigerated.
Makes 2 lbs.  So creamy!!
Better than store bought!!!


Both of these are easily made and use ingredients most people have on hand.  OK, maybe I am different, but I always keep plain gelatin on hand (use in suet too), and small jars of pimentos.

I hope you all give these a try. 
These would be fun gifts to make for Christmas as well.  Attached recipe and maybe a pack of fancy crackers!  It would sure be an original gift.  I would love to receive this!

ENJOY my friends.

8 comments:

  1. Nice recipes. My Mom used to keep pimentos on hand. I never use them myself.
    I saw canning instructions the other day for pimentos. It said they used red peppers but did not specify if they were the sweet peppers or hot ones that they used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if it is a special pepper or not - I thought it was. I always keep a few small jars on hand - for those "just in case" ideas!

      Pimentos taste sweet, so I would think they are sweet peppers.
      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, I've never tasted them before so good to know. Makes it easier to can some up then. I think you have to pressure can them. To me it would be less expensive just to buy them and less work involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , it's one of those things I would probably NEVER can. They are just too cheap to buy. They virtually last for years as well. they are kind of pickled.

      Delete
  3. I've got the Velveeta recipe printed out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea you could make your own Velveeta...so cool! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea you could make your own Velveeta...so cool! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete