Sunday, February 19, 2017

Frugal Happenings 2/19

Good morning to all of my frugal friends!  I hope this finds you healthy and happy.

What a week!  I am very happy to say this past week is now in the history books.  It was difficult on many levels.
I went and said my final 'earthly' goodbyes to my friend Carol.
I said goodbye to one of my babies who took the journey over the Rainbow Bridge.
I spent time at the hospital this week with one of my adult nephews, who had a 5 hour spinal surgery.  He is now home recovering.
It has been a stressful week for sure.

Our weather has been lovely.  It has gotten warmer by the day.  We are to be on the 60's and 70's all week long.  I am sure there may be some harsh weather yet - but with each passing day we are closer and closer to spring.  I am loving the amount of daylight that we are now experiencing.
Daffodil greens are up about 4", lilies are popping through the ground, peonies are peeking out, the earth will be jumping back to life soon.
I am seeing more and more robins in the yard too.  That's a sure sign of spring in these parts!  We have been enjoying watching the finches take baths in the bird bath.  So cute!
The squirrels are a hoot!!!  They must have spring fever - as they are jumping, frolicking and playing like crazy.


Not much happening this week:
  • While out one day I did stop at the Christian thrift store.  I got 2 bags of stale seeded rolls for the birds and squirrels for FREE
  • I also bought a brand new looking pair of Lee jeans there for 99 cents
  • I found 4 bags of holiday marshmallows on sale 2/$1 - I will dehydrate this week (to use in cereal)
  • Have actually accomplished a little yard work
  • Saved the green cap from a jar of parm cheese.  Will re-use it on one of my Mason jars.
  • Just doing all the normal everyday things
  • DVRing some movies this weekend, as we have FREE premium channels again for 3 days.
  • Heat off most of the time, and doors open for fresh air.
Meals this week:
A very small pot of stew
Chicken casserole (made like tuna only using chicken) - 2X
Ate all leftovers one night - just odds and ends
McDonalds - (I bad) didn't feel like cooking at all
Poor man's Swiss steak with mashed potatoes - (big burgers smothered in veggie/beef soup)
Homemade lasagna


How was your week? 
Did you stay on the frugal bandwagon?   It is tough some weeks, as unexpected expenses come up - but that is why we are frugal the rest of the time!  Don't beat yourself up if you had set-backs.

Thank you all so much for your kind words this past week - you really lifted my spirits.
May this coming week be filled with blessings, health and happiness for each of you.

God bless!

9 comments:

  1. Swiss steak sounds delicious Cheryl. You have had a rough week. You are strong and I see that your leaning on God. Love your verse at the bottom. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie - I don't know how I could exist without my faith and God.
      Better days are ahead!

      Have a blessed week.

      Delete
  2. We a lot of company this weekend. I made your pickle-dried beef- cream cheese spread and serves it with veggie sticks and crackers. It was a hit, no leftovers 😍 Thanks for sharing it, it was nice to serve something different and it was still made with ingredients I had on hand.
    I hope next week is a lighter week for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda - so glad you and your company liked the spread!!!!! YAY.
      I love being able to fix different things.
      I hope this week is good too.

      Have a great one!

      Delete
  3. Hi Cheryl,
    the most diligent house maven I know even told me that we all need a night off, I think you certainly have earned one and don't be guilty about the eating out at all! Did you remember to enter the McD code at the bottom of the receipt for a free burger or drink? They offer that in our area. I do it right away on my cell phone so hubby gets an extra burger right then and there.

    Cool idea on dehydrating marshmellows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My frugal this week was to do my own manicure and take the callous off my heels myself, the beauty salon charges an extra $5 on my feet! And I am definitely going to have my husband learn how to do pedicures for me! Maybe he will even let me do one for him, ticklish though he is!

      Delete
    2. Hi Ellen. Shoot I didn't even notice that there might be a code on receipt. I was pretty messed up that evening. I will keep my eyes open - whenever there is a next time.

      Good job on taking care of your manicure and footsies! I love how mine feel after getting rid of calluses. They seem to happen so fast.
      Good luck with the pedi thing. I don't think I would trust G to do mine!!!! LOL

      Have a great one.

      Delete
  4. What a difficult week you have had. Despite all that was going on and your heavy heart you were still able to find some ways to save. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always take prayers - any day!
      Life does go on.
      Blessings

      Delete