Here we are at the bottom end of November and Christmas is just 4 weeks from tomorrow! How did that happen so quickly? YIKES
We had a lovely week. The weather has been pretty great all week - at least for this time of the year. We have had lots of sunshine, which has helped my mood tremendously. The temps have stayed in the 40's, 50's and low 60's most of the week (daytime). I even got to open the doors a couple days and let a little fresh air in.
Our Thanksgiving was very nice with good company and food. However, I am glad that is behind us. It is always so extremely tiring.
Our dinner was actually only about $20 out of pocket. That was for the turkey and the ham. I had everything else here that I needed. It fed 6 people, leftovers home with 3, and we have been eating on it since. Not a bad deal!
The grandson of my neighbors that moved over a year ago, came by to visit with us on Wednesday. Bless his heart. He is 21 now (we have known him since day1), and still feels like visiting. He always said we were his adopted aunt and uncle. That really made my day.
I found out that the new neighbors had their baby, a little 6 lb. girl named Charlotte. Sweet.
My nephew (like son) stopped by on Saturday with his fiancé. They have been together for about 5 years and got engaged this weekend! They came into town and stayed at a fancy hotel, had dinner, and saw the Christmas lights. Her ring is beautiful and I am so pleased for them. It was great to see them.
My frugal week:
- Purchased an additional turkey for .38/lb. for future use. I wish I had had more room, but my freezers are full.
- Pre-made lots of ice for holiday gathering
- I did home maintenance on the Blazer. I checked all the fluids and topped off what needed to be. Added Heat to gas tank and filled tank. Preparing for cold weather.
- Cleaned both full glass storm doors inside and out (nice weather day) with vinegar and newspaper.
- Made an appointment with insurance broker for this coming Tuesday to discuss health insurance options (UGH)
- Deep a lot of deep cleaning - polished cabinets and floors, mopped, laundry, bedding, cleaned under and behind about everything, dusting, etc..
- Put out a few Christmas decorations. Changed out the door decorations with things I already had.
- I kept the turkey carcass and ham bone - both in the freezer, to make stock with later.
- I did go to Big Lots on Friday (I swore I wouldn't shop that day!). I got 5 pretty tins of assorted popcorn for $4 each. I also got 3 HUGE 20 oz. bags of tortilla chips for $1 each. Those will be great for holiday gatherings. I also got 12 regular size bags of Skittles for .25/bag (kids will love those!)
- Stopped at our local hardware, where I had GC for $5/$25 that expired at end of month. I got us a new large outdoor thermometer, a finch feeder, a large bag of pet safe ice melt, and a night shirt for me - out of pocket $21!
- Saturday I went to a fairly new small business I heard of. It is vintage and lovingly re-made items and homemade. Oh did I have fun in there! I did buy some small gifts and items for gift baskets. I got a FREE cloth shopping bag. First 50 got a bag with 'swag'!!!! FREE gifts. I got 3 handmade ornaments, Christmas earrings, 2 handmade cards, a key chain, sample of skin cream, and other small stuff. I will definitely go back there to shop.
- I ran to the Dollar Tree and got several stuffers for the younger kids gift baskets
- We are getting FREE movie channels again this weekend and have been DVRing many movies to watch later.
Meals this week:
Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
Fish sandwiches and chips/dip
Turkey noodle/veggie soup
How did your week go? Did all my U.S. friends have a nice Thanksgiving?
Did anyone get any great deals this week - grocery or Christmas?
I hope each and everyone of you have a wonderfully blessed week. I pray the Lord protects and comforts you and your families.
Sending good thoughts from our little humble home to yours!