We have had a roller coaster of weather this past week. We went from frigid and snow on the ground, to fairly warm for this time of the year and downpours (we had a backyard lake), back to cold. Woke to about an 1" of snow this morning and the temp has dropped about 5degrees since I got up.
We are going to have a couple warmer days - then we take the plunge into the polar subzero for a couple days.
It's winter, it is to be expected - guess that doesn't mean we have like it! LOL
Never happy are we? We are cold, cold, cold. Southern hemisphere is hot, hot, hot. It sure would be nice if we all got a compromise!!!!
Despite the weather we have been enjoying watching nature. We regularly have between 10 and 12 squirrels playing and eating in the yard. Every morning at dawn and every evening at dusk we have at least a dozen cardinals visiting, There are 3 varieties of woodpeckers that visit as well, along with all the other pretty babies.
The outdoor kitties have their heated house and bed and spend a lot of time in there! Smart. They do love to come out a roll in the sunshine.
Another quiet week here.
My frugal week:
- Kept the brine from the bean salad to use over salad
- Been replenishing daily pantry items from basement stock
- I had to go pick up a script for G - so I ran to the grocery. I did spend around $20 on fresh veggies, fruit, milk and ice cream.
- Had our 33rd anniversary this week - so we celebrated with take-out from Outback! YUM!! It provided us with 2 nights each of a full meal - used gift cards and it was all FREE!
- Received 12 more individual pop bottles from the neighbor, so I cleaned and put back 12 more bottles of water
- Made squirrel/bird treats (small suet balls of sorts) as treats for our wild babies (had everything here)
- Saved the really nice heavy containers from take out to use for sending homemade goodies with others.
- I made a refrigerator type cheesecake. Used a cheese ball mix that we received in our goody basket at Christmas. 2 packs per box - so I can make a second at some time. I also topped it with 1/2 jar of raspberry pie filling (had no blackberry) - froze balance of fruit topping. It made a very tasty fruit flavored light cheesecake.
- G ordered our kitties flea meds from Amazon this week. W have 4 cats that need them from time to time and the Vet charges $18 each for a doze of Advantage II - we ordered them for $9 and change - each. From the Vet 4 doses would cost $72 - we got 12 for $128 (included tax) and no shipping. Now we have it when we need it.
- We have been using the pantry and freezer, making our own drinks, laundry in cold, and doing all the normal things.
- It seems I can't get warm! I wear jeans, knee socks, and 2 tops every day - but once cold it is hard to warm up. Not to turn up heat - my slippers help a ton and I throw and fleece throw around my shoulders while sitting around (my back between my shoulder blades gets so cold). I seem to be able to get warmer by doing these things without costing a dime!
Grilled chicken/Swiss cheese on rye sandwiches and salad (bread from freezer & leftover chicken)
Tuna patties, salsa mac n cheese, salad
Pork chops, leftover mac/cheese, and asparagus
Cheesy brats on buns and potato salad
OUTBACK - 2X
Chicken and dumplings, homemade dressing and green beans
Finished up cinnamon rolls from last week and had cheesecake and also apples for desserts
Leftovers for lunch or breakfast
There you go - nothing exciting. We just keep plugging away day by day waiting for spring!
I currently have everything out and selected to make a pot of hamburger soup today - that will last us a couple days for dinner, as well as lunches.
How did everyone do on their no/low spend January? We ended up spending about $50 for the entire month (not counting flea meds). That was the orchard and 1 grocery visit. I am petty proud of that. I think I will continue on using as much as possible from home in Feb. I really see little difference in my stock.
I pray for your health and safety in this coming week. Those in cold areas - please take care and stay warm and cozy. Those in hot areas, I hope you can find relief.
I pray we can all find ways to continue to simplify our lives, instead of wanting more and that the Lord will help us be content with what we have.
Blessings from our humble homes to yours.